Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M001 7" Touch Screen Android Tablet - €85 delivered [DealExtreme]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 damo1884

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that my Google Android tablet got taken by customs and they charged me 21% VAT + €6 duty

Total delivery was worth €110 so they charged me €30 to get my parcel 2weeks later than it arrived in ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,911 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Unfortunately it's the risk you take with DX alright.

How is it Damo1884?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Just got notification from Revenue that mine is being held until VAT/Duty etc is paid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Just got notification from Revenue that mine is being held until VAT/Duty etc is paid :(

What happen then? You pay the delivery driver?

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    What happen then? You pay the delivery driver?

I've only just emailed the PayPal receipt to them so that they can measure how long far they are going to shove the rod up my $%^@.

They will email me back with the cost and expected delivery date. Then I pay the An Post guy on delivery; cash or bankdraft.

• Advertisement

I paid €17.31 (including a €6 processing fee) for an purchase of £46 (GBP) from Hong Kong 6 months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭concubar

when a parcel gets held,
    they email you to let you know,
    they then get you to email your paypal receipt,

( you can if you want to easily reduce the cost shown on the transaction before sending it to them, not too much ;) )

i know someone who did this recently :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

concubar wrote: »
    when a parcel gets held,
    they email you to let you know,
    they then get you to email your paypal receipt,

( you can if you want to easily reduce the cost shown on the transaction before sending it to them, not too much ;) )

i know someone who did this recently :cool:

Thing is, Im sure the revenue commisioners have there systems linked to paypal, so they can check a transaction ID on there terminal. If they ping it and get a response which is greater than the amount stated you could potentially get in trouble or have the package destroyed/returned to sender. (may as-well be destroyed if returned to sender, as DX customer support is unbelievable)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

There should be no Import duty on Computers, just VAT @21% + what ever processing fee you pay whomever to clear through customs....

I'm waiting to see what the breakdown of the charges will be. On my notification Revenue described the goods as 'Phone'. I don't know if there will be a duty charge on that or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It's not a phone, you shouldn't let that slip by them.

Amalgam wrote: »

I'll wait until I get the notification of cost and then I'll pull them in it :cool:

I imagine they deduced this by x-raying the package? Or did DX put it ont

Amalgam wrote: »

I'll wait until I get the notification of cost and then I'll pull them in it :cool:

I imagine they deduced this by x-raying the package? Or did DX put it onto the customs declaration thinking it customs charges may be less for a phone than for a 'computer'?

This solar charger is on sale in Aldi on 10 June.

I wonder if it is compatible with the M001? It's hard to make out the picture of the connections.

Given the poor battery life of the M001 it would be a handy accessory.

Anyone ever get this in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FredTroll

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Anyone ever get this in the end?

No, but it sounds painful :eek:

Haha!! Id love to hear a review from someone on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

This seems to be the main place for users and info.

http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/eken-m001/
    although down right now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

LOL!...i've had $1000 OEM CPU's shipped to me and never caught, even big ass parcels like graphics cards and mobo's. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Looks interesting. Price looks good but i assume you would need to pay import taxes on top.

Negatives: Doesn't look very responsive, screen resolution lowish

the have an option where ya can declare a packagfe as a gift (or no monetary value afaik)

came in handy in the past for myself.

• Advertisement

the have an option where ya can declare a packagfe as a gift (or no monetary value afaik)

came in handy in the past for myself.

It got it. It's only ok. Resolution on the screen is poor. Screen not the most responsive and processor seems to be under pressure. I mainly use it for reading ebooks.

Package was shipped under plain cover and as a gift and customs still grabbed it. Cost me €25 extra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

They must have Dealextreme on the alert list, labeling would give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I still seriously tempted... must resist

They must have Dealextreme on the alert list, labeling would give it away.

No DX logo on the box. I'd image that they saw a box from Hong Kong and just opened it. I would advise anyone to think twice about buying. It's poor at almost everything it's supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

http://cgi.ebay.ie/aPad-Tablet-PC-18-cm-w-Android-and-WiFi-/260618918367?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3cae1919df

From Dub seller. Gas thing is he states no neg feedback given but he hasn't sold any of these yet nor has he sold his "netbooks" with 128mb ram like the MID that Maplin were selling and quickly scapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

The tablet I mention here is much better IMHO :www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055925687

Some boardises have knocked it because it runs WinCE.

I will have mine over the next few days. Customs currently have it and I await their request for the Paypal invoice.

podge3 wrote: »
    The tablet I mention here is much better IMHO :www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055925687

Some boardises have knocked it because it runs WinCE.

I will have mine over the next few days. Customs currently have it and I await their request for the Paypal invoice.

Looks like a better machine all right. Let us know what you make of it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Looks like a better machine all right. Let us know what you make of it :cool:
    Will do if customs ever release it. They have it for 2 days now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

TheDriver wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/aPad-Tablet-PC-18-cm-w-Android-and-WiFi-/260618918367?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3cae1919df

From Dub seller. Gas thing is he states no neg feedback given but he hasn't sold any of these yet nor has he sold his "netbooks" with 128mb ram like the MID that Maplin were selling and quickly scapped.

"Postage takes 8 to 12 working days."

Sounds like he's drop-shipping, probably from China.

• Advertisement

Bump.. how about this?
    Operating System Google Android OS 1.6
    Processor VIA WM8505 ARM926
    Memory 256MB DDR2
    Capacity 2GB NAND FLASH, support SDHC TF card up to 16GB
    Display 7" high-brightness TFT LCD wide screen touch display (800*480 pixel resolution)
    Touch Control Full size touch operation, sliding menu, functional icon dragging
    Orientation Sensors With accelerometer, automatic steering display screen
    Network 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network connection
    RJ45, 10/100Mbps network connection
    Camera 1.3 Mega pixel camera
    Microphone Built-in
    Speaker 1 speaker
    Slots 1 * Micro SD/TF card slot (support up to 16GB)
    1 * 30 pin interface (with adapter can be 2*USB HUB and RJ45 network interface)
    1 * 3.5mm Stereo Audio out
    Software Google Chome-lite Browser
    OS Language Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
    Battery Built-in 2400mAh rechargeable battery
    Power Adapter 180-240V (US plug)
    Accessories AC power adapter, USB splitter, user manual

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement