Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M001 7" Touch Screen Android Tablet - €85 delivered [DealExtreme]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Everything I've bought from DX gets past customs even phones worth over e100. I've must have been lucky.

Was caught a couple of times on ebay (from sellers who claimed to be from uk but in fact it was HK) but told the sellers I'd refuse to pay the revenue so I wouldn't get the package. I could then get my money back from Paypal. They refunded the price of revenue every time :)

Got over e200 worth of stuff from mymemory.co.uk and was shocked to get caught by customs. Thought the channel islands were part of the UK. I contacted mymemory.co.uk and they refunded me the difference. Thought that was sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Customs seem to be catching EVERYTHING lately :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

basquille wrote: »
    Bump.. how about this?

A bit better that the M001 however it looks like the same processor and same screen resolution. Both I find are very poor on the M001.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

basquille wrote: »
    Bump.. how about this?

I have one of these i think - it's an orphan m70003 .. i bought it thinking i was getting a 600mhz rockchip pad (which has a dsp and makes a decent fist of video) ... it's pretty bad, almost unusable due to the slow proc and really unresponsive touchscreen (which you have to dig a nail into sometimes to get it to register at all)

Also, the "gravity sensor" which flips the screen takes about 30 seconds to register (when it does), and the thing is unusable without an sdcard - this is an Android thing i think, some apps don't even start without a card.

The battery lasts about 2 hours away from the wall socket and you'll need a us to irish plug adapter. Wifi works pretty well and were it not for the woefully unresponsive screen it could be a good internet device.

i also had it in mind to play retro games on it using the Android version of ScummVM ... i'm not sure if that's realistic, certainly my (one and only) test with Beneath a Steel Sky was too slow and stuttery to play.

I put on a custom rom image from slatedroid which made a small improvement, but i still regret the decision to purchase. I think the minimum spec for a decent android tablet should probably be -
    - 2.2 Froyo
    - 512mb ram
    - 1ghz proc
    - Capacitive touchscreen (not resistive!)

once all that is available for 150 euros I'll be all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

• Advertisement

EyeDeeOne wrote: »

The 350mhz figure has been derived somewhat indirectly (from bogomips * 2)

The proc (via ARM926 MW8505) has a max freq of 300mhz according to the spec sheets - so if it is 350MHZ then it's already overclocked and running over spec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's about 3 versions of the m002 floating about, different cpu and battery configurations. Be careful and do a lot of forum trawling to get an idea what certain traders are offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Kevin! wrote: »
    Thing is, Im sure the revenue commisioners have there systems linked to paypal, so they can check a transaction ID on there terminal. If they ping it and get a response which is greater than the amount stated you could potentially get in trouble or have the package destroyed/returned to sender. (may as-well be destroyed if returned to sender, as DX customer support is unbelievable)

Have you any basis for this? It sounds extraordinarily efficient of them if they can. Not to say illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Have you any basis for this? It sounds extraordinarily efficient of them if they can. Not to say illegal?

It's extrememly unlikely that Revenue have any direct access to PayPal transactions. If they did why would they look for a copy of the Paypal receipt from the customer? They could just get the information directly from PayPal. It would be highly questionable if they had direct access to your account. I would imagine a court order would be necessary in each and every case.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Doubt they would have access to personal paypal account transactions. Probably just xray the packages and id them that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I have become kinda obsessed with getting one of these things since I started reading this thread. Been watching lots of them on eBay over the last few days.
    I'm not even sure why I want one or what I would use it for....
    Can anyone who has gotten any of the models mentioned in this thread share their experiences?
    What do you use it for? Is it good for web browsing? Can you watch video?

littlejp wrote: »
    I have become kinda obsessed with getting one of these things since I started reading this thread. Been watching lots of them on eBay over the last few days.
    I'm not even sure why I want one or what I would use it for....
    Can anyone who has gotten any of the models mentioned in this thread share their experiences?
    What do you use it for? Is it good for web browsing? Can you watch video?

Do yourself a favour and make sure you can get a rockchip version - there's a big difference between the 600mhz rockchip (which has a dsp and so can play divx files) and the 350mhz via ARM926 WM8505 (which cant play any video at all - i know as i have one!)

unfortunately there are lots of sellers on ebay falsely advertising their wares!

check out http://www.slatedroid.com/ for lots of info about these craptablets!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39448
    Bit more bang for a bit more buck.

Nope - that's a EKEN M003 with VIA ARM926 WM8505 350mhz chip - check out the slatedroid forums - it's the same spec as the EKEN M001 with 8" screen

Basically the only one knocking around thats any better and worth getting is the apad aka Moonse MS-E7001 aka iRobot M003 with rockchip @ 600mhz

although there's a lot of BS sellers claiming to have that and actually selling the pads with the VIA chip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Be careful.. Processor isn't specified in the description. This model comes with two choices of processor and battery.

I normally see DealExtreme as being almost God like with its choice of enjoyable Chinese tat, but they've been less than clear or honest about the type of Android pads they're selling.

Let someone else be a guinea pig first, then have a good read of the user\buyer comments.

EDIT: EasyBoy1974 beat me to it.. (I replied to dr.bollocko's post without reading on.. Doh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tolerz

i bought a fake iphone off deal extreme.. hong kong post said that it was posted on the 7th of june ,, its now the 17 ??? ,, still no phone ,, ! , it cost 60 usd do u think that customs will kick up a fuss and bill me ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tolerz wrote: »
    i bought a fake iphone off deal extreme.. hong kong post said that it was posted on the 7th of june ,, its now the 17 ??? ,, still no phone ,, ! , it cost 60 usd do u think that customs will kick up a fuss and bill me ??

this shouldn't be posted in especially in a zombie thread, however 10 days isn't that long in terms of deal extreme posting I'd give it another week before you do anything. In terms of customs yes they may stop it and charge you duty and the €6.50 handling fee as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement