Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie O'Hara considering playing for Ireland

• 18-05-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

Would be a great addition to Trapps side IMO, a little torn on the comment highlighted though. Not nice to be second choice, but we have been several times in the past im sure

From sportinglife
    Tottenham midfielder Jamie O'Hara has confirmed he will make a decision his summer over whether to switch allegiances and play for Republic of Ireland.

The 23-year-old, who starred on loan for Portsmouth this season, played for England at Under-21 level, but hasn't made the step-up to senior level.

The midfielder qualifies for the Republic through his grandparents and will decide one way or another this summer to ensure the issue does not drag on.

"I've always loved playing for England so I wouldn't want to upset anyone or disrespect the Ireland people as well, because I've got a lot of family in Ireland," he told Sky Sports.

"It's going to be a difficult decision to make and I don't want it to become a big deal in a way."

O'Hara also concedes if he fails to break into Spurs' first team this coming season then he would consider his future after enjoying regular football on loan at Pompey.

He is eager is continue to make his name at White Hart Lane, but would have no qualms moving on if he is not part of manager Harry Redknapp's long-term vision.

"If I can't break in there and Harry pulls me in and says I'm not going to feature as much as I'd like then yeah hopefully I've done enough this year to earn a move to a decent Premier League club," he continued.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He's alright, personally I would have Andy Reid ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Ush1 wrote: »
    He's alright, personally I would have Andy Reid ahead of him.

Think O'Hara has a far higher workrate than Reid. Both types of players needed though (creative/workhorse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jamie O'Hara is a class act imo. If he waits he will be an England International. I could see him and Milner in the middle for England in a couple of years time. It would be great if his impatience gets the better of him and he decided to play for the Republic, that would leave us in very good shape in the centre of midfield for the future with James McCarthy there too. He can also play on either side of midfield.

M5 wrote: »
    Think O'Hara has a far higher workrate than Reid. Both types of players needed though (creative/workhorse)

Not convinced Trap would play O'Hara anyway, unless it was on the wing. He's not mad on creativity in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Isn't this the same fella who wanted to see if he could get on the England squad first and if he couldnt he'd play for us?

We're second best to him why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

PCros wrote: »
    Isn't this the same fella who wanted to see if he could get on the England squad first and if he couldnt he'd play for us?

Highlighted in the OP....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Not alot would agree but I'm sure Trap is happy with Andrews and Whelan considering we had a good WC campaign with them in midfield and the Italian aint going change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

PCros wrote: »

Pompey could just as well said 'well Spurs would be his first choice. We're second best to him so why bother'

TBH, I don't think we have the luxury of being stubborn about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

gosplan wrote: »
    Pompey could just as well said 'well Spurs would be his first choice. We're second best to him so why bother'

That's a complete false analogy.

Because choosing the nation you play for should not be an "a la carte" menu.

If he feels English he should declare for England, if he's Irish he should declare for Ireland.

You don't need to be born in a country to be from said country but you should only get one shot of representing your country.

Paul McGrath, Phil Babb, David O'Leary all had Ireland as first choice as they felt Irish... not because they weren't good enough for another country.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mayeb it should be that way, but even the larger footballing nations are not shy in bringing Brazilians and Argentinians into the fold and it's not like we don't have a long tradition of same (except with Englishmen and Scots).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Lets take who we can get, at the moment there is no creativity in midfield especially as Ireland won't play, O'Hara could be useful.

gosplan wrote: »

Do people really think he's that good? I don't think he's a whole lot better than what we have and I really doubt Trap would start him in midfield.

celticbest wrote: »
    Lets take who we can get, at the moment there is no creativity in midfield especially as Ireland won't play, O'Hara could be useful.

Andy Reid was available and not picked by Trap. He likes two defensive midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'd like him tbh folks I think he's a good player and would be a good option.

But. Introducing a player like O'Hara or Reid for that matter to the centre of our midfield would mean Trap having to change the whole system he plays, we're a very average squad getting some decent results and I don't really think either player are worth upsetting the whole system for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd rather have him than not have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Ush1 wrote: »
    Do people really think he's that good? I don't think he's a whole lot better than what we have and I really doubt Trap would start him in midfield.

From what I've seen of him I'd have him miles ahead of Whelan and Andrews. Probably a similar work-rate to those two (if not higher) but actually good at the whole football bit as well. Put in some great performaces for Pompey this season. Would be a big improvement imo.

If he feels English he should declare for England, if he's Irish he should declare for Ireland.

You don't need to be born in a country to be from said country but you should only get one shot of representing your country.

Paul McGrath, Phil Babb, David O'Leary all had Ireland as first choice as they felt Irish... not because they weren't good enough for another country.
    Why do you have Paul McGrath and David O'Leary as examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

O'Hara is a great player but I really dont like his attitude. When playing for Pompey this year he said something on his Twitter like "Capello, is that enough for you?". I also dont agree with him waiting to see if England call him up before he chooses us when there's good Irish born players out there who would kill to play for their national team.

He's a good player but he's English. Leave it that way. Trap, have a look at an Irish player like Keith Fahey if you want another midfielder :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why do you have Paul McGrath and David O'Leary as examples?

Because both were born in England yet considered themselves Irish.

A bit like Ronan O'Gara was born in America yet considers himself Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jamie O'Hara is a cracking player and would walk right into the first team. If it means we'd be better off, which we would, then I'm all for it. Dont give a damn if he was born here, in England or bloody Aruba, he's a great little player and we could do with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

O'Hara has been Portsmouth's best player this season and I think would be a great addition to the squad. He has drive and can also pass which has been Irelands main problem the last couple of years. We need all the help we can get but with players like James McCarthy coming in and hopefully O'Hara that will give us hope for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

O'Hara is quality. Take him in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Take him in.Way better then Andrews or Whelan imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's a player who is pretty damm good in our weakest position by far. Tough choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Talented player but he doesn't seem overly committed to the Irish cause to be honest.

England still appears to be his first choice.

We want players who'd walk on broken glass to play in an Irish jersey.

Because both were born in England yet considered themselves Irish.

A bit like Ronan O'Gara was born in America yet considers himself Irish.
    There is a big difference between being born and raised in England or some other country and the situation with both David O'Leary and Paul McGrath, they both grew up in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Id take him everyday of the week, would be a great option, Englands lose could be our gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

im a little confused with the way you worded this?are you saying these were not irish born and breed?because they are two dubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

whoa, sorry just checked it up there and your dead right,sorry! always thought mcgrath was born and raised in dublin! was he not the pearl of inchecore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

No question, take him now.

The lad clearly wants to play international football, unlike tons of others, and I see people giving it loads that he prefared England to Ireland and why shouldnt he. The lad was born in England. He cant get into the England team, so he is willing to play for Ireland. We can all name several Irish born pros that have no interest in playing for Ireland or playing before they retired.

He also looks like an extreamly committed player and we could have a servant like Kilbane, which would be amazing.

Also, I think he would fit in nicely with Whealan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

It's the job of the manager to get the best 11 on the pitch possible. I reckon he'd only add to the squad. If he decides that he wants to play for Ireland then so be it, I wont begrudge him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I could see villa selling milnar for 24m and replacing him nicely with O hara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I appreciate his honesty but if you would prefer to play for England then I don't think you should play for Ireland.

Obviously, there are sure to have been several players over the years who donned the green jersey as they had no other choice. However, whether his intent is being disrespectful or not, having us wait like this is a complete non-starter for me.

Playing for Ireland should happen in one of two ways (for me):

1) Your international allegiance is never in doubt - you come when selected

2) Your international allegiance is in doubt - you still come when asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

He does not want to play for us, so I don't want him either. He is better than Andrews, but I'd much rather work with Gibson, McCarthy, Meyler etc who actually want to play for Ireland. There should be some affinity with the country like players like Dean Kiely (yes I know he retired but he still thinks connects with Ireland more than England) or Kevin Kilbane have shown.

On that note, it is such a pity about Meyler's injury. Long-term I hope he is not disrupted by that injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

idealistically, and player who views us as 'second choice' should be told to f*ck off.

but we're not in an ideal world, he's a very good player, in a position/s we could do with quality in. i could see Trap playing him centrally; he has enough 'about him' so to speak.

bring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I do not think he will be coming to Ireland, it will be Kevin Nolan situation again. Always waiting for England to come calling and Ireland beiong strung along. We will find out his answer after the World Cup as Capello will outline his squad for the Euros. Would be a good player if he came but I think we can manage without him.

SlickRic wrote: »
    idealistically, and player who views us as 'second choice' should be told to f*ck off.

but we're not in an ideal world, he's a very good player, in a position/s we could do with quality in. i could see Trap playing him centrally; he has enough 'about him' so to speak.

bring it.

I really doubt Trap would play him centrally.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I think he is a good lad. He's been brought up in England and yes, they're his first choice as it seems. He is still young and I think he is improving with the more football he's getting.

Here, we're badgering a player (Stephen Ireland) who is Irish and doesn't give 2 f**ks about playing for his country and that's because of his talent and I feel O'Hara is talented too and will develope more (well depending on what club he ends up at too).

As I said, O'Hara's still a young lad and if he played a few games well and earned himself a place in the Irish fans hearts with great performances for us, he may then think in a couple of years that this was the best choice where as the oppposite could happen if he played for England and the intense media over there bashing any below par performance. Obviously that could happen here too but I feel players get to play for Ireland with a lot less pressure as sometimes, less is expected from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Italy won the world cup with an Argentinian in the middle of the pitch. Nobody gives a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Would you have objected to Lawrenson, Houghton, Aldridge, Cascarino, Holland, None of these ever felt paticuluraly Irish. Especially Cascarino.
    I dont think Houghton even new he was eligable.

I say get the best team possible on the pitch. Once they are there fans wont give a toss

• Advertisement

I don't think this nationality thing is as mutually exclusive as some people think.

The question shouldn't be 'does Jamie O'Hara want to play for Ireland more than he wants to play for England?'

It's 'will Jamie O'Hara give everything if he does play for Ireland?'

He seems like the type of player that would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

What annoys me is seeing Andy Townsend on ITV England international coverage and saying stuff like "we" etc. Whats he there for? He never played for England! You dont see Ray Houghton covering scottish games! I dont think we should call up a player at this stage of his career like O Hara. Lads who pick Ireland ahead of England/Scotland/Northern Ireland at 19/20 do it for the right reasons not to get a game at the world cup. The likes of the two keane lads at Man Utd should be the ones were approaching. Gibson might have his critics but so did Fletcher for the first 3/4 years of his United career and he choose us instead of Northern ireland.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I do not think he will be coming to Ireland, it will be Kevin Nolan situation again. Always waiting for England to come calling and Ireland beiong strung along.

As far as I can remember that's just inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Good little player and would welcome him with open arms. Gary Cahill next please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

No chance of Gary Cahill unfortunately.

Have mixed feelings on players like O'Hara declaring just because they know they haven't a chance for England and who have never stepped foot in the country but he would be a good addition to the squad and lots of countrys are doing similar (Spain with Senna, Croatia with Eduardo, etc.)

Could he do a job at left back for us i wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Jigga wrote: »
    No chance of Gary Cahill unfortunately.

Hmm...you would never know. He's about 12th choice central defender for England under Capello. Can't see him making England's Euro 2012 squad either. He's definitely behind Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, King, Dawson, Upson and more than likely behind Lescott, Jagielka, Brown, Shawcross and a fit Woodgate. The only reason Cahill ever got drafted in in the first place was because England had many injuries at the time and he still didn't get capped. Chris Smalling has just moved to Man Utd for 10 million and is more likely to get capped ahead of Cahill too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

people in England with Irish family often consider themselves both and the choice might be simply which he thinks could bring him more success, he has never said he does not want to play for Ireland and if he declares for Ireland and is picked I would expect him to give his all on the international scene while repressenting that side of his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jamie O'Hara is a class act imo. If he waits he will be an England International. I could see him and Milner in the middle for England in a couple of years time. It would be great if his impatience gets the better of him and he decided to play for the Republic, that would leave us in very good shape in the centre of midfield for the future with James McCarthy there too. He can also play on either side of midfield.
    he's 23 now though, surely he would have been picked for England by now. I know he can only get better but he's not 18 any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Good little player and would welcome him with open arms. Gary Cahill next please.

Pity we didnt get tim cahill a couple of years ago, was he not seriously considerung playing for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tim cahill didnt play for us because he played for some island when he was about 15.I think there was a rule change or he got a waiver and then chose australia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement