Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Book Shops In Dublin

Options
  • 11-07-2005 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Heading up in the next few days and was just wondering what were the best shops around?

I know of The Secret Book And Record Store, Chapters...em, that's it. Is there more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

I think there's still a second-hand book stall in Georges St Arcade. There's a book market on weekends (overpriced for a market, though) in Temple Bar square.

Best place for second-hand books in Dublin I reckon are the charity shops in the Capel St area. Dead cheap, tons of stuff of varying quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Oxfam Books on Parliament Street has a pretty good selection; certainly better than what you get in the charity shops north of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

There's one on the main street of Dalkey, you can sell your old books for credit not cash though :(
    Still a decent shop, reasonable selection of old and new books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Recent realisation of mine, the bargain basement in Hodges Figgis on Dawson St in Dublin is cheaper than most second hand bookshops (excepting some of the charity ones). The range is a little strange, but i like it if i'm not looking for something in particular and i've given authors a go as the books were cheap (a lot are around the 2.99 mark). It also has a few shelves of 'popular' science books - i've picked up some v good value Stephen Pinker books there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Greenes is very good, there is a good second hand bookshop in rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

my abs fave is dandelion books on geaorges street its fab its got loads of old books and the guy who runs it is cool he does mind how long you spend looking through stuff. ive got some really good stuff there.

also the bookshop in georges street arcade theres 2 but i prefer the one that also sells old coins and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

There's a good one in Dudndrum, up a little lane directly across from the old shopping centre. He does games and cds there as well and he also does trade ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

whereabouts is the dandelion? went looking for it on georges street yesterday and couldnt find it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

whereabouts is the dandelion? went looking for it on georges street yesterday and couldnt find it!!
    It closed a year ago or so. Selling secondhand books is definitely a dying business in Dublin, both because buyers can afford new books and have better choice than ever with Amazon, and because it's easier for sellers to shut up shop and put their inventory on Abebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Hi
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD SELL SOME SECOND HAND BOOKS. OR EVEN A CHARITY THAT WOULD TAKE THEM ALSO I HAVE SOME GAMES THAT I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE TO CHARITY THAT HAVEN'T BEEN USED WHAT CHARITY WOULD TAKE THEM.

THANKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

my abs fave is dandelion books on geaorges street its fab its got loads of old books and the guy who runs it is cool he does mind how long you spend looking through stuff. ive got some really good stuff there.

Think Dandelion closed 3 years ago?

There's some ok ones further up towards Camden St. Age Action is, Irish Cancer Society not great. Oxfam further up in Rathmines is quite good.

Blackrock Market at the weekend has a very good selection, but they charge a lot more than the charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This thread is years old. Recommend using the second hand bookshop sticky thread instead.

I merged this thread with the sticky thread a few minutes ago. That was silly of me as most of this thread jumped on top. So I undid my silly mistake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement