Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭

I'll start by saying I'm only giving this a chance due to the man handling drumming duties, but here be the new single.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If I did not already know that Portnoy was the drummer, I would have mistaken his drumming on this track for that of Charlie Benante or Paul Bostaph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think the drum parts were already written before they got Portnoy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

From listening to it, I'd say they were mostly written, and Portnoy added his own touches. Like the high pitched octoban sound just at the start of the first verus. Portnoy uses Octoban's(a high pitched drum) and O'Sullivan doesn't(didn't??)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

LD 50 wrote: »
    From listening to it, I'd say they were mostly written, and Portnoy added his own touches. Like the high pitched octoban sound just at the start of the first verus. Portnoy uses Octoban's(a high pitched drum) and O'Sullivan doesn't(didn't??)

Yeah thats exactly what I noticed too.. Think there was some small splash sounds around it too. Wonder what kit MP will bring on tour with them...praying for siamese monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meh, never got the hype around thise band although the OH is a fan. Just sounds like more of the same to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It's not bad, reminds me of their earlier material

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Wasn't sure of it on the first listen. After a while it's grown on me. Quite like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

There doesn't seem to be anything there for me really, it sounds very generic to my ear, like the same mediocre stuff they've producing on their last 2 albums with nothing much new in it. I understand that Portnoy was asked to play exactly as "The Rev" would've for this track to honour him so it will be interesting to see what influence Portnoy has on the other tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I read an interview today with M. Shadows and Synyster Gates and they said that half the songs on the album were written by The Rev and Portnoy replicates his drumming pretty accurately on them.

Not sure about the songs written afterwards but I'm sure he'll still stick to a similar style to Jimmy. They still want to sound like the old Avenged Sevenfold and Portnoy is there only temporarily. But I guess we'll see.

Whats the point though in getting a drummer like MP in, if they're going to to say, "Right, Mike. We know you're awesome an' all, but can you play the songs exactly as Jimmy had" I understand they got him in because he was The Rev's favourite drummer, but give the man a break. For a man that has to be in control of everything, I'd say being locked into playing what was already on tape wrecked his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Whats the point though in getting a drummer like MP in, if they're going to to say, "Right, Mike. We know you're awesome an' all, but can you play the songs exactly as Jimmy had" I understand they got him in because he was The Rev's favourite drummer, but give the man a break. For a man that has to be in control of everything, I'd say being locked into playing what was already on tape wrecked his head.

That's a fair point but I think they got him to play exactly like Jimmy as a tribute to him.

It may have wrecked his head but he didn't have to do it. He has Dream Theatre to use as his creative outlet. Also, he might do more of his own style on the songs Jimmy didn't get to finish or be a part of.

Either way I think Mike Portnoy is a really nice guy and it was a really cool thing for him to do. If only everyone's idols were so nice!

Can't wait for the album! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I think he gets a kick out of playing other people's stuff tbh, like those Rush, Beatles, Who and Zeppelin tribute bands he was in, plus MP imo seems(from how he speaks in most interviews) that he wanted to be as respectful to the Rev as possible.. Which indeed is a credit to MP because most ego driven musicians would want to put "their stamp" on the songs..

The song itself is pretty generic A7X.. The drums are killer though:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrianSlipknot

Nice. Didnt expect the single to be here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

It's not bad, but it doesn't make me want to check out the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sabiansoldier

Oh dear. So in other words, A7X have noting new to offer. Shame. As incredible a drummer as MP is, he's wasted here, A7X have no use for a sticksman as innovative as Mike. It's grand like, but it's no Octavarium XD While the epic drums add a lot to the track, it doesn't do anything about M. Shadow's annoying, nasal tone, or the use of swear words for their own sake, or the mundane predictability of most every aspect of the song.

Heres a Vid of Mike doing some drums in the Studio

That video was crap. That stupid strobe effect wrecked my head, and there was only about 15secs of MP playing.

Boo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

I love this single, can't wait to hear the album :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Astro Zombie

Its great but this new drummer blows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

LOL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Go away.
    Listen to some of portnoy's other work
    Then come back and laugh at your previous post's utter ridicularity.
    Degag wrote: »
    LOL!!!
    +1

Your either joking or borderline retarded, i hope its the latter tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Someone has a different opinion on the man than you two do so they must be retarded. Thats a mature and intelligent way to look at things. Not ridiculous and childish at all. :rolleyes:

Someone has a different opinion on the man than you two do so they must be retarded. Thats a mature and intelligent way to look at things. Not ridiculous and childish at all. :rolleyes:

Well to be perfectly honest, saying that a man who has won 22 Awards, from Modern Drummer mag, including best Prog Rock Drummer 12 times/years in a row, and is the youngest Drummer since Neil f*cking Peart of Rush to be put in the Drumming Hall of Fame, "Blow's" is borderline retarted or just plain ignorance of the highest order, im not being a pretencious fanboy snob when i say that.. Im just being a realist, but as i said if yer mans joking well thats another thing completely

Well to be perfectly honest, saying that a man who has won 22 Awards, from Modern Drummer mag, including best Prog Rock Drummer 12 times/years in a row, and is the youngest Drummer since Neil f*cking Peart of Rush to be put in the Drumming Hall of Fame, "Blow's" is borderline retarted or just plain ignorance of the highest order, im not being a pretencious fanboy snob when i say that.. Im just being a realist, but as i said if yer mans joking well thats another thing completely

Still, the thread did need something to make up for the relentless Portnoy fanboyism
    The rev was also a damn good drummer you know.

+1
    Dr Jimbob wrote:
    Someone has a different opinion on the man than you two do so they must be retarded. Thats a mature and intelligent way to look at things. Not ridiculous and childish at all
    Im not a "fanboy" as you put it, hell I dont even like DT that much! But to say that Portnoy "blows" as a drummer is nothing short of retarded. The man has pretty much universal positive acclaim amongst his peers; to say he is not a good drummer is akin to saying Toni Iommi was a rubbish metal guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Dreadful stuff as usual from Avenged 7 Fold. Portnoy is good as usual, I really don't like DT that much at all but you have to recognise talent and Portnoy is a flower in the Avenged 7 Fold garden of weeds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Im not a "fanboy" as you put it, hell I dont even like DT that much! But to say that Portnoy "blows" as a drummer is nothing short of retarded. The man has pretty much universal positive acclaim amongst his peers; to say he is not a good drummer is akin to saying Toni Iommi was a rubbish metal guitarist.
    This, so much. I'm not a DT fan either, but he's a fantastic drummer none the less.

Moojuice wrote: »
    Dreadful stuff as usual from Avenged 7 Fold. Portnoy is good as usual, I really don't like DT that much at all but you have to recognise talent and Portnoy is a flower in the Avenged 7 Fold garden of weeds.

If you're going to insult the band at least spell the name right. You know the way everyone else on the thread has done. Unless you're trying to be funny and just not being very good at it.

• Advertisement

If you're going to insult the band at least spell the name right. You know the way everyone else on the thread has done. Unless you're trying to be funny and just not being very good at it.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement