Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agents never recieved my offers and house was sold under my nose.

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:36am

I just want to see if this is a common thing. But i am a first time buyer and i was on the hunt for a new property. I came across a property that i really liked.

So i put in my first bid. I waited and waited and i heard nothing. So i called the estate agents who then informed me that the seller was not willing to entertain the offer, i was a little put off that i had to contact them to find out.
    So i went up by an extra 15k I waited and waited, again not hearing anything .
    I decided to call to see what the situation was. They told me that the property was SALE AGREED !!

They said that there were a few offers but and all partys were contacted about the offers. I told them that i was not contacted about the offers.
    They looked me up on the system and told me that they had no bids from me . They apolagised and said there is nothing they can do and that the property is sale agreed.

Is this a normal thing ?? Is this what i have to face when looking for a property ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

you could buy mine, deal directly with me, I'll even have it decorated to your taste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How did you put in an offer, post?

Post can get lost, maybe that's what happened.
    Maybe after the first offer seller decided you weren't serious and just did not want to deal with you again and are using this as an easy excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I decided to call to see what the situation was. They told me that the property was SALE AGREED !!

<snip>

They looked me up on the system and told me that they had no bids from me . They apolagised and said there is nothing they can do and that the property is sale agreed.
    Check if the buyer is related to the EA...

I put in my offers over the phone. I explained to them that i am a mortgage approved first time buyer so not in a chain .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sale Agreed isn't Sold by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

testicle wrote: »
    Sale Agreed isn't Sold by any means.

yes but i was not given the oppertunity to up my bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If you're really annoyed by it, put the details in writing and drop it in a letter to the owner.

So that at least they know the situation.

Also, if the EA has messed them over, it would be nice to let them know.

TBH, I think now is a great time not to buy, so I'd be hopeful this will work out for the best for you. Not that that is much consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

If this property is in Dublin, it will be 3% cheaper next month:

http://www.esri.ie/irish_economy/permanent_tsbesri_house_p/

So if the place cost €200,000, it will lose about €6,000 in value next month, and probably the same every month after that for the rest of the year.

You dodged a bullet. Be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I'm trying not to be mean but they probably though you were a messer by your first offer, and the second offer obviously wasn't enough.They had an asking price and you decided to ignore it. In reality people selling their houses often get insulted by people putting in low bids as they have an attachment to their house and if not dealt with properly by the estate agent people can get the hump and decide not to sell to you if they aren't under pressure. The advice from this board is generally no matter what the price is only offer half and tell them their lucky to get it which depending on the circumstances could be very bad advice.

Was the sale agreed price far off your asking price, would you have paid it?. Maybe the estate agent mightn't mind a bit of gazumping if there as bad as you say.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    The advice from this board is generally no matter what the price is only offer half and tell them their lucky to get it which depending on the circumstances could be very bad advice.

That's probably true. But anybody heeding that advice at any point over the last number of years will have saved themselves an absolute shed-load of money.

So, people can decide the negative advice is suddenly no longer applicable, or they can go on form and assume the doomsters are still correct, as they have been, month in, month out, for 5 or 6 years.

By contrast, those who have been talking up the market, the "soft landing" crowd, the "green shoots" faction, the "turned the corner" people....they've all been proven wrong and wrong and wrong again. For years.

So people have to make a choice about what advice they listen to. None of the bears are forcing people to take their advice. But if people ignore that advice, they are doing so in the face of all available evidence and the track record of those who have been right all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

That's probably true. But anybody heeding that advice at any point over the last number of years will have saved themselves an absolute shed-load of money.

Agreed, I don't think now is the time to buy a lot of property has bottomed out but there's still delusional sellers out there and when your dealing with houses there's not 2 the very same and if someone has the money and can afford it they might never get the chance again.

To the OP your still in a very strong position the market's not going to change any time soon and there's still plenty to chose from.

For my second bid i actually layed it out for them . I told them because i was a first time buyer alot of people were giving me advice on what to bid. So i told them that if they took it as cheeky , it was unintentional . The agent was very nice about it and understood. So i upped the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, people can decide the negative advice is suddenly no longer applicable, or they can go on form and assume the doomsters are still correct, as they have been, month in, month out, for 5 or 6 years.

By contrast, those who have been talking up the market, the "soft landing" crowd, the "green shoots" faction, the "turned the corner" people....they've all been proven wrong and wrong and wrong again. For years.

So people have to make a choice about what advice they listen to. None of the bears are forcing people to take their advice. But if people ignore that advice, they are doing so in the face of all available evidence and the track record of those who have been right all along.

What absolute crap, over a 6 year period both camps have been perfectly right 50% of the time.

astrofool wrote: »
    What absolute crap, over a 6 year period both camps have been perfectly right 50% of the time.

Sorry, my internet sarcasm metre is broken. You are of course being facetious, right?

nope, the property will fall brigade have been equally as correct as the property will rise brigade over the timespan of the past 6 years. The bubble burst about 3 years ago by my counting.

Your post also brings to mind the heady days of the property bubble, but with everything down instead of up.

nope, the property will fall brigade have been equally as correct as the property will rise brigade over the timespan of the past 6 years. The bubble burst about 3 years ago by my counting

I see. So the bulls who bought in 2006 were correct because prices didn't fall until 2007, and the bears who warned them not to buy were wrong because prices still rose in late 2006 and early 2007?

I don't think I've ever read anything so obtuse. That you engaged your brain and this came out is somewhat disturbing.
    Your post also brings to mind the heady days of the property bubble, but with everything down instead of up.

You see, this is the problem with the bubble. Even after all we've been through people are still not interested in learning the lessons of what happened, or showing an ounce of humility. Instead, they'd rather plough ahead with pig-ignorant insults and non-sequiters like this pile of smouldering cobblers. So let me put you straight about the difference between then and now Astrofool.

Those talking up the bubble back then did so through irrational exuberance and bubble-induced groupthink. In fact, bubble-induced mania of many types, including greed and stupidity. That this is the case is demonstrated by the fact the bubble burst. If there had been any sound reason underpinning their analysis, prices would still be rising today. But they aren't, proving that their argument was nothing but wishful thinking and hot air all along.

By contrast, those who were talking down the market (and are still doing so) did so on the basis of a sound analysis of the fundamentals, yields, historical trends, international comparisons, comparisons with past bubbles, analysis of incomes and so forth. And that they were correct is demonstrated by the crash we are in the middle of.

That you would seek to draw a parallel between these two groups is either wilful ignorance or ignorant ignorance. I don't know which is worse. Your shameful, grubby little post is nothing but a paean to the bubble.

Without getting into the back and forth of a quote war, and dragging the thread way off topic.

Bears had been calling a demise of the property market since the turn of the century, they were wrong for about 7 years, and then their predictions started coming to pass. They have been right in their predictions for the past three years, and are using those three years to prove they will be correct for the future. If you look into the bubble bursting thread, you'll see a lot of this bear(!) out.

Now, what's also true is I've been around this board a long time, and I have read many posts that would match your post word for word, except pointing to the market going up.

My point is really that we should not let ourselves go overboard either way, it's not good on the way up, and it's not good on the (continuing) way down. To spout hyperbolae (see I know nice words too) is dangerous full stop, regardless of which side of the fence you are on.

I'd also take offence to my post being called shameful and grubby, it's a nice little post, well formed, easy to read, and was able to make another poster froth insatiably, for a discussion form, that's usually the sign of a good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

nope, the property will fall brigade have been equally as correct as the property will rise brigade over the timespan of the past 6 years. The bubble burst about 3 years ago by my counting.

Yes but the 'property will rise brigade' were tooting their horn since 96/97 a time when (most economists agree) the bubble started.
    So if we've had 10 years of a bubble and 3 years of a pop then we're a few years to go yet seeing as bubbles always give up all their gains.

Oh definitely, my big worry at the moment is that inflation may start kicking in, and bring property with it. The weakening Euro could be the start.

• Advertisement

Bears had been calling a demise of the property market since the turn of the century, they were wrong for about 7 years, and then their predictions started coming to pass. They have been right in their predictions for the past three years, and are using those three years to prove they will be correct for the future. If you look into the bubble bursting thread, you'll see a lot of this bear(!) out.

No, no, no, no, no. This is such a wrong-headed analysis it shows you still don't get it.

That it took the bears' predictions so long to come true is nothing but a measure of the extent to which the bulls were wrong and how much the bubble ran out of control. The bears were right all along and the delay in this being revealed is in direct proportion to how wrong the other side were. If the bulls hadn't be so wrong, the bears would have been proven right sooner. You cannot turn that into a stick to beat the bears with, or declare that both sides were equally mistaken.

Moreover, you are missing that it was the FACT of the bubble the bears called correctly, not the precise timing of it bursting. The bulls' argument in that time was not that there was a bubble that would eventually burst, but rather that there was no bubble at all....it was a "new paradigm" that had made us the 2nd richest country in the world, remember? Their worst case scenario was the "soft landing" (lol, remember that one?). I don't remember any bulls saying "Oh yeah, it's a huge bubble but let's hope to ride it and get out in time!". That was not what they were saying and it is dishonest revisionism to suggest they were.
    Now, what's also true is I've been around this board a long time, and I have read many posts that would match your post word for word, except pointing to the market going up.
    And I have read many posts like yours, blaming the bears for getting the precise timing of the crash wrong when the really critical insight was calling the bubble in the first place.
    My point is really that we should not let ourselves go overboard either way, it's not good on the way up, and it's not good on the (continuing) way down. To spout hyperbolae (see I know nice words too) is dangerous full stop, regardless of which side of the fence you are on.
    You see? Talking down the market is still considered "hyperbole" rather than sound analysis. Honestly Astrofool, I remember getting these same insults 4, 5 years ago....talking down the market, begrudgery, exaggerating, hyperbole...I've heard it all before and it is truly depressing to still have this thrown in my face. It just shows me, as I said, that we still haven't learned anything.
    I'd also take offence to my post being called shameful and grubby, it's a nice little post, well formed, easy to read, and was able to make another poster froth insatiably, for a discussion form, that's usually the sign of a good post.
    Your post made me froth because it was ignorant. Nothing to be smug about.

Fwiw, I am not looking for a fight. I just think you are misguided in the extreme.

Sooooo this is a normal thing ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Sooooo this is a normal thing ? ?

OP, did you ask to know at what price the property went sale agreed at?

I personally have not experienced it in this way but I have had estate agents inform me they were not passing on offers because they were "too low".

Advertisement