Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin charges in Kildare

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

:eek:

I recently moved to Kilcock & enquired today re getting the label for the recycling bin etc.

I have a 120ltr general waste bin & a 240ltr recycling bin. The annual charge, I'm told by Kildare County Council, is 140 euros. This covers the service charge. But on top of that I still have to get the 5.50 euro tags for general waste bin whenever I want to put it out.

Considering I only put both bins out once a month, I'm going to be effectively paying 11.70 for the recycling bin!

This seems ridiculous, surely they should have a tag system for the recycling bin as well.

Is anyone using a different bin company in Kildare that is cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Mink wrote: »
    :
    Considering I only put both bins out once a month, I'm going to be effectively paying 11.70 for the recycling bin!

a strange way of looking at it but I see what you are getting at...you are basically saying that the annual charge bit is the cost of the recycling bin?

on that basis the other private companies will be cheaper as their annual charge ios normally less than the Council

I use AES who advertise as 20% cheaper than the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I use Thorntons. 260 euro for the year for brown, black and green bins. Cheapest of all the providers (AES included).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

In checking Thorntons & AES, it actually works out cheaper to stick with the council for the amount I put bins out & small general waste bin, damnit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The majority of the charge is for the service of collecting the bin from your house.

If you brought the rubbish & recycling stuff to a local collection depot the cost would be substantially less. - In my case about €15 / visit which include business waste & recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i work for aes, its €148 for the service charge for the year and then for the green general waste its €6.40 per lift and for the brown organic its €3 per lift, the blue recycling is free per lift and in certain areas there is a small glass bucket supplied which is collected monthly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

We used Ray Whelans, normal bin goes every week and recycling every 2nd week. No brown bin though. Cant remember the price but was cheaper than County Council and any others around at the time. Think Thorntons came in just before we left and may have been around the same price with brown bin but not sure how often bins were collected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thorntons pay by weight should be cheaper then the council for low usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Thorntons pay by weight should be cheaper then the council for low usage.

Thorntons only do pay by weight after the first year. For the first year you pay the set charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I am with AES. However, last year they had an advertisement campaign out where they claimed they were X % cheaper than KCC............who are by far the most expensive IMO. Their offer still meant them more expensive than Oxygen. But I went back to AES about this and found them very negotiable, to such an extent they matched their charge for 2008. This year they also matched the same price.

FWIW: I also emailed Whelan's after getting a flyer through the letterbox with 3 special offers. Two were utter rubbish/no brainers, but the 3rd was interesting ( their offer meant I could save +-€150/annum), except they do not do the brown bin, therefore anything I am putting in my AES brown bin would have to go into the normal refuse, thereby necessitating more frequent pick-ups. I emailed them about this, but got no reply. After 2 weeks I emailed them again wondering why I never got a reply, and they then emailed me back asking me to phone them...Phone them??? Who is the customer here? Needless to say, I never bothered to contact them again.

I also have some neighbours who are with Thornton's and their charge for this year rose substantially because they were 'over' the weight they were allowed for last year. On the neighbours contacting them ( Thornton's) and threatening to change their bins to another service, Thornton's dropped their increase, and matched another bin provider here ( Newbridge).

Hope this might help You, Mink?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sobaga

Does any of you know who (apart from KCC) collects waste in Newbridge? I am planning to move there and must say that having looked at the waste charges on KCC I find them very expensive!!! I live in Dublin at the moment, the bin from SDCC costs me nothing but the lift charge, so it gives around 200 euro per year, as I am using them every other week @8 euro per lift. KCC charges a standing charge on top of that!!! Is there any competition for them in Newbridge?

• Advertisement

sobaga wrote: »
    Does any of you know who (apart from KCC) collects waste in Newbridge? I am planning to move there and must say that having looked at the waste charges on KCC I find them very expensive!!! I live in Dublin at the moment, the bin from SDCC costs me nothing but the lift charge, so it gives around 200 euro per year, as I am using them every other week @8 euro per lift. KCC charges a standing charge on top of that!!! Is there any competition for them in Newbridge?

Hi

I live in a fairly new estate in Newbridge, and we have 5 different collectors.

KCC
    AES
    Thornton's
    Oxygen
    Ray Whelan

I checked Thornton's and Newbridge is not listed among their collection areas. Unless I am blind ;)

We will be moving to The Meadows (not sure if I don't regret that one day ;)) - do all of them collect there, you think? Which of them do organic bins on top of general waste and recycling?

Sorry to be pestering you, but only I know how much I hate change... I want to be prepared for it in the best possible way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

guil wrote: »
    i work for aes, its €148 for the service charge for the year and then for the green general waste its €6.40 per lift and for the brown organic its €3 per lift, the blue recycling is free per lift and in certain areas there is a small glass bucket supplied which is collected monthly
    have a look at that

I saw it, but still if I put out both general waste and organic every other week, together with the standing charge it makes almost 400 euros per year, which is practically twice as much as I am paying now :( I was hoping to pay not more than I am paying now if I move outside Dublin, obviously I was not right :(

sobaga wrote: »
    I saw it, but still if I put out both general waste and organic every other week, together with the standing charge it makes almost 400 euros per year, which is practically twice as much as I am paying now :( I was hoping to pay not more than I am paying now if I move outside Dublin, obviously I was not right :(

Sobaga

I cannot vouch for other services, but can put you in the picture regarding AES:

AES: Supply 4 bins, general refuse (240L), recycling (240L) , compost (140L) & glass.

I pay only €285/annum, and find I only put my general refuse out once a month as I recycle as much as possible. All bins are collected every 2 weeks, except the glass bin which is collected once a month.

Oxygen charge just under €300 ( according to my neighbour ) and supply 240L bins for all modes of refuse, but they don't supply a glass bin.

Regarding the other 3, I plead ignorance except I know KCC works out at almost €400 for their bins per year - thats according to another neighbour.

Hope this helps?

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Sobaga

I cannot vouch for other services, but can put you in the picture regarding AES:

AES: Supply 4 bins, general refuse (240L), recycling (240L) , compost (140L) & glass.

I pay only €285/annum, and find I only put my general refuse out once a month as I recycle as much as possible. All bins are collected every 2 weeks, except the glass bin which is collected once a month.

Oxygen charge just under €300 ( according to my neighbour ) and supply 240L bins for all modes of refuse, but they don't supply a glass bin.

Regarding the other 3, I plead ignorance except I know KCC works out at almost €400 for their bins per year - thats according to another neighbour.

Hope this helps?

Thank you so much for that.

I haven't heard back from AES yet.

Oxigen don't do brown bins at The Meadows, only general waste and recycling and charge 24.91 per month for that.

Thorntons do three bins, general waste, recycling and organic waste. They charge 270 euro for the first year and the following years depend on the weight of your general waste and organic waste in the previous year:

0-400kilos-219 euro
    401-700kilos-270euro
    701-1000 kilos- 300euro
    1000-1500kilos-339euro.

Bins are collected every second week. So AES don't sound bad provided they collect all 4 bins at The Meadows :)

Advertisement