Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 5 cable outdoors

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I usually use some heavy duty shielded cable when running outdoors. However, I have never really tried using normal stuff. I am just curious does anyone know what might happen? Is the cable liable to get damp etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Only issue is if the cable is buried and there lightning.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/cablingcat5/f/cat5outdoors.htm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you use normal grey cable the sheath isn't IR resistant and will break down over time with exposer to the elements. The black out door stuff is designed to cope with this.

Having said that I have some grey cable exposed to the elements for years and its still OK. Will vary between brands. There is no benefit to using expensive shielded cable unless you have it near some source of EM radiation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Are you running this between two seperate buildings? Seperate building earths will cause a problem.

If you use standard PVC cable it will break down over a period of time as it is not UV resistant.

Buy a UV rated external grade Cat 5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

It is also important to remember it is not water proof either. Ive done audits on places where they used indoor cable outside and the installers got into hot water. It will breakdown, water can get it, it will also fail tests eventually...

The reason the outdoor is so expensive is cause it will put up with the abuse and has warranties... I would never use indoor cable outside unless its in sealed watertight conduit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

I recommend always use fibre outdoors with media convertors. A wack of lightning taking down your switches, hubs, PCs and servers will work out more expensive than a fibre cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ThatGuy5

Just go with the outdoor cable . . play it safe . . there are few places where you can find outdoor cat 5 cable for fair prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hey knuckles,

Can you post up some more details on your solutions, if you list the setup and parts involved that would be a great help.

Thanks,
    MAJJ
    I recommend always use fibre outdoors with media convertors. A wack of lightning taking down your switches, hubs, PCs and servers will work out more expensive than a fibre cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Just the thread I was looking for :D
    ThatGuy5 wrote: »
    Just go with the outdoor cable . . play it safe . . there are few places where you can find outdoor cat 5 cable for fair prices

Are there any places that ship to Ireland? And amounts smaller than 1000 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Just the thread I was looking for :D

Are there any places that ship to Ireland? And amounts smaller than 1000 feet.[/QUOTE

http://www.temple.ie

Try theses guys, ask for Daniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CabinteelyGuy

Running a 40Meter regular shielded Cat5 from inside 35meters down the lenght of the garden to my shed works grand the cable is in a 2" plastic 30meter plumbing tube to keep the dirt and rain off the cable.

Then again this is only for homeuse if business use to do it the correct way get a proper outdoor cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Have been using a 30-40m run of cat5 between two buildings for 4 years now without issue...

Advertisement