Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing belt

• 18-05-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My timing belt was done at 82K miles, it must be done at every 100K miles or every 5 years. My car has 130K miles on it at the moment, and it's 16 months away from the 5 year mark.

I can understand that it is important getting it done every 100K miles, but does it matter if I don't get it done on the 5 year mark?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's like not wearing a seatbelt - it may well be fine, but if not the consequences can be catastrophic. If it were my car i'd do it on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's like not wearing a seatbelt - it may well be fine, but if not the consequences can be catastrophic. If it were my car i'd do it on time.

Oh yes, I understand how serious it can be if I don't get it done, but I am trying to compare time with milage. Milage being more important in my eyes, due to direct wear and tear etc etc. I mean, I will do about 5K miles this year, I just don't understand how time comes into it. Will the timing belt break down that much over time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Go on mileage, thats the indication of how much wear that has been put on it.

The time stamp is there, so you dont have the car lying up for years and then you go drive it because rubber breaks down over time.

Most cars have interference engines now because the tolerances are so small, if the belt snaps you could run up thousands in repair bills, you could need new valves, pistons, head need skimming etc etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Anan1 wrote: »

I don't have a clue about cars, i just drop it into main dealer to be serviced every 12 months. Do i have to ask them to do it or will they advise me that it needs to be done :confused:

I don't have a clue about cars, i just drop it into main dealer to be serviced every 12 months. Do i have to ask them to do it or will they advise me that it needs to be done :confused:

They would indicate to you that it would need doing as theres a nice sum of money involved. Pull out your manual and in the service stamp section it will tell you when the belt needs changing and how close they are to doing it.

What do you drive? As your car may very well be chain driven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

cronin_j wrote: »
    They would indicate to you that it would need doing as theres a nice sum of money involved. Pull out your manual and in the service stamp section it will tell you when the belt needs changing and how close they are to doing it.

What do you drive? As your car may very well be chain driven.

2007 opel Astra GL 16V 1.4L

I'm guessing it's not chain driven whatever that is :D

2007 opel Astra GL 16V 1.4L

I'm guessing it's not chain driven whatever that is :D

Nah, its belt driven, the belts in astras are low mileage (40k or 60k) i cant remember which. My brother is a mechanic in an Opel and Honda dealership, the waterpump and tensioner has to be done at the same time in those even though they are low mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Oh yes, I understand how serious it can be if I don't get it done, but I am trying to compare time with milage. Milage being more important in my eyes, due to direct wear and tear etc etc. I mean, I will do about 5K miles this year, I just don't understand how time comes into it. Will the timing belt break down that much over time?
    Mileage isn't a perfect way of doing it either - imagine the difference in cambelt wear between a car that's been cruising in top in the motorway for 100k miles and one that's been used as a taxi around town. Rubber does degrade over time too, particularly under the harsh conditions on the front of an engine. Short of waiting for the belt to give up there's really no way of knowing for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Hi,

My timing belt was done at 82K miles, it must be done at every 100K miles or every 5 years. My car has 130K miles on it at the moment, and it's 16 months away from the 5 year mark.

I can understand that it is important getting it done every 100K miles, but does it matter if I don't get it done on the 5 year mark?

Thanks.

no, it's only a guide from the manufacturer and obviously, they recommend replacing it long before it needs to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

no, it's only a guide from the manufacturer and obviously, they recommend replacing it long before it needs to be.

To be safe...it's one of those things that should never be left to chance...

• Advertisement
Advertisement