Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing issue with builder

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

I bought a ground floor 1 bed apartment in 2002 from a reputable builder. From the start the (only) bathroom was damp but I assumed this was mainly due to ventilation since there is no window.
    Since the start there have been issues with the waste pipes blocking up at the main sewer. Practically every year it blocks up fully and needs to be unblocked at the sewer pipe. The Mgt company always take this expense since it is at the main sewer where the blockage arises and we are the first to see the problem/consequence of the blockage. The opinion of the guys who unblock it is that there is an issue with the way the pipes were laid. On at least 3 occassions the blockage has caused the toilet to overflow into the bathroom. One of the first times, the builder replaced my laminate floor becuase the flood caused the laminate to warp. The toilet last overflowed a few months ago and the flood went into the hall where the laminate is again warping but to a minor extent.
    Recently the I noticed that the floor in the living room is also warping but very seriously. There is a partition wall between the living room and bathroom.

I suspected that perhaps the seal at the bath was the culprit so I decided to investigate. These things can of course happen over time.
    I was shocked however when I removed the bath panel to see that the waste pipe was not connected to the plug hole in the bath. It was sitting directly below the plug hole. Some of the waste water would have dropped into the waste but a lot went onto the concrete floor.

This water was then travelling both into the living room and probably into the common areas. The laminate in the living room has warped and the skirting board is rotten. Copper pipes running on the floor under the bath have oxidised. Note this apt is ground floor so that is why it was not seen before. The problem has finally come to a head probably because my girlfriend has moved in and spends more time in the shower than myself.

I re-attached the pipe, it has a long screw at the plug hole and also tightens at the pipe under the bath. There is no way this could have come loose so the only possibility is that somebody released/vandalised it or it was never connected by the plumber (to me the most likely).

I feel that the builder (plumber) was at fault but I assume I have no recourse after 8 years. From what others are saying, even if I had discovered it sooner Homebond would be useless.

So, just put up with it and take the expense myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I bought a ground floor 1 bed apartment in 2002 from a reputable builder. From the start the (only) bathroom was damp but I assumed this was mainly due to ventilation since there is no window.
    Since the start there have been issues with the waste pipes blocking up at the main sewer. Practically every year it blocks up fully and needs to be unblocked at the sewer pipe. The Mgt company always take this expense since it is at the main sewer where the blockage arises and we are the first to see the problem/consequence of the blockage. The opinion of the guys who unblock it is that there is an issue with the way the pipes were laid. On at least 3 occassions the blockage has caused the toilet to overflow into the bathroom. One of the first times, the builder replaced my laminate floor becuase the flood caused the laminate to warp. The toilet last overflowed a few months ago and the flood went into the hall where the laminate is again warping but to a minor extent.
    Recently the I noticed that the floor in the living room is also warping but very seriously. There is a partition wall between the living room and bathroom.

I suspected that perhaps the seal at the bath was the culprit so I decided to investigate. These things can of course happen over time.
    I was shocked however when I removed the bath panel to see that the waste pipe was not connected to the plug hole in the bath. It was sitting directly below the plug hole. Some of the waste water would have dropped into the waste but a lot went onto the concrete floor.

This water was then travelling both into the living room and probably into the common areas. The laminate in the living room has warped and the skirting board is rotten. Copper pipes running on the floor under the bath have oxidised. Note this apt is ground floor so that is why it was not seen before. The problem has finally come to a head probably because my girlfriend has moved in and spends more time in the shower than myself.

I re-attached the pipe, it has a long screw at the plug hole and also tightens at the pipe under the bath. There is no way this could have come loose so the only possibility is that somebody released/vandalised it or it was never connected by the plumber (to me the most likely).

I feel that the builder (plumber) was at fault but I assume I have no recourse after 8 years. From what others are saying, even if I had discovered it sooner Homebond would be useless.

So, just put up with it and take the expense myself?

Having successfully sued a plumber/builder on his standard of work and use of faulty goods, I can't offer advice on if you have recourse after 8 years but would be interested to see if anyone can. Legal forum maybe?

Advertisement