Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earache (not the Label)

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I Thought I would start a Poll to see how many metal heads in this Forum actually have 'Tinnitus' ( constant ringing in the ears)

And whether you do or not, do you were ear plugs at gigs?

I do when I think of it and im in a small venue!

I have it since about 1998/99 and got it from standing front row for the entire Fear factory set in the SFX, When I saw FF again in the ambassador a couple of years later I said it to Dino after the gig and he said that they actually got a bit of grief over that gig because of the Volume, well no pain no gain as they say, anyway the louder the better Right??!!! ;)

Do you suffer Tinnitus? 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I have never worn earplugs at a gig, always listen to my iPod at full powerful blast and so on... And I have no problems hearing......... yet.

I expect to be deaf as a post in a few years, but my recent sense of ennui arising from live music may hinder that progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I don't suffer from it but I started wearing earplugs at gigs recently and it's so much more comfortable during and after the gig.
    It's nice to be able to hear the guitars over the constant crashing of cymbals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

tbh i have it but its more from playing drums than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

fack! I play drums very hard in a small room, play and attend gigs without earplugs and listen to my ipod at a high volume most of the time :( goodbye ears. My ears actually are ringing and I've never noticed.

Might have to look into getting good earplugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't have it thankfully. I remember jamming with a band a few years ago and I ended up stood beside the drummer's crash cymbal for a couple of hours. The pounding headache I had afterwards made sure I always wear ear plugs when jamming or playing a gig. When watching a gig I just stand a bit back from the front. I wear glasses so I've no interest in being anywhere near the mosh pit :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

not all the time, only sometimes. Fairly deaf after Gama Bomb but was ok about a day and a half later. My fault for being right up the front \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

My fault for being right up the front \m/
    You've got to do it at least once just to know your own limitations :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I've had tinnitus since Machine Head. Really annoyed me because I never had problems before and now I have to start wearing earplugs to gigs and at practice sessions.

I know people think "Metal is meant to be loud!!" but anything that's so loud that it can cause permanent damage from one show is just ridiculous. And anyway, if anything's that loud then the sound is usually crap.

I may sound like a bit of a Maude Flanders but I seriously think that a decibel limit should be imposed on concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been to hundreds of gigs and the loudest by far was Motorhead at Manchester Academy. My ears were ringing for a week after, they were ringing for a few days after the dropkicks at the Olympia last month.

They were fine after Kiss though.

I've quite a few gigs coming up now and will be taking earplugs to the smaller venues, but not to The Point

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I wear earplugs to most gigs now, ever since I went to see Airbourne in the Ambassador in 08. Had tinnitus for nearly a week after it. Wore the earplugs to Machine Head last month and was glad I did. Everyone was deaf after it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Having the music too-loud can really ruin a concert imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Malice_ wrote: »
    You've got to do it at least once just to know your own limitations :).

I kinda do it a lot, you're gonna have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. :D

Advertisement