Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Usage Limit

• 18-05-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm moving house and looking into getting Broadband with UPC.
    Currently we have imagine and it's really good, but not really willing to pay nearly 40quid by myself.
    Looking into getting the 5mb fibrepower for €22 a month.
    My main question is that it says that there is a 40gb bandwith limit, i stream alot of things online.
    Would i still be able to do this with these limits, or would i be better off just paying a little more?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I'm with eircom and don't do much downloading but I would stream a lot (via sky player). I would easily go over 40GB a month. I'd say your better off going up to the unlimited package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Depends on the quality of what you're streaming, and how much of it you do. If you do go over UPCs cap, they'll push you onto the next more appropriate package. You need to know how much you're actually using before deciding what one to go with. Check your usage stats from Imagine for the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

From experience, UPC are fairly relaxed about the bandwidth cap.

I have the 250GB per 30 days 'fair usage' limit, but have gone far over this on occasion. It's only been remarked about once by UPC and that was when I called their 2nd level support.

So long as you don't frequently go over the limit, and aren't affecting other customers, they don't really seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smar

I recently got the 5 MB broadband from UPC with the monthly 40 GB limit. Is there a way to check my usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You'd need to download a D/U meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

You'd need to download a D/U meter.

Yup..I use this as well.

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

It has an rare odd bug whereby on the 1st day of random months it shows that I've used 6.004E GB of bandwidth, which is basically the estimated size of all content on the net. It goes back to normal though the next day, so it's just amusing and not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 THEMAVS4LIFE

BTW this dosn't refer to this thread just for future reference. upc say there limit is unlimited which to sum it up "infinity allowance" in upc case. they have a fup of 250 gb hence no unlimited. i admit they are sly for doing this ! put bringing on to my next point, 45% of people use 15mb ect. use there 250 gb to download illegal content which is sly to the movie and music businesses. I DO EXCLUDE PEOPLE WHO DOWNLOAD LEGAL CONTENT AND PEOPLE AT WORK.

To sum up upc are doing something illegal (false advertising)and 45-60% of upc customers are doing something illegal (torrenting ect)

The mavs4life:D:D:D

BTW this dosn't refer to this thread just for future reference. upc say there limit is unlimited which to sum it up "infinity allowance" in upc case. they have a fup of 250 gb hence no unlimited. i admit they are sly for doing this ! put bringing on to my next point, 45% of people use 15mb ect. use there 250 gb to download illegal content which is sly to the movie and music businesses. I DO EXCLUDE PEOPLE WHO DOWNLOAD LEGAL CONTENT AND PEOPLE AT WORK.

To sum up upc are doing something illegal (false advertising)and 45-60% of upc customers are doing something illegal (torrenting ect)

The mavs4life:D:D:D

Please go and read one of the two dozen threads on this subject where you will discover that no it's not illegal, yes it's misleading, and yes it should be changed.

And also where it's not lies, as numerous posters here have mentioned that they often go over the 250GB with no ramifications, so UPC only refer to the AUP in areas with high contention.
    If you're lucky to be in an area where there are few high users, then they won't say anything to you for downloading 300GB lets say.

So when they say it's unlilmited unless you're causing a strain on their network, that's kinda what they mean.

Then go and read the OP's post where he says that he is talking about the 5MB package which has a definate limit advertised -as is mentioned in his/her post- and does not fall into the AUP/UPC issue, so your post is completely pointless and not needed.

This issue has been done to death here, so lets not bring it up when it's really not needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 THEMAVS4LIFE

Please go and read one of the two dozen threads on this subject where you will discover that no it's not illegal, yes it's misleading, and yes it should be changed.

And also where it's not lies, as numerous posters here have mentioned that they often go over the 250GB with no ramifications, so UPC only refer to the AUP in areas with high contention.
    If you're lucky to be in an area where there are few high users, then they won't say anything to you for downloading 300GB lets say.

So when they say it's unlilmited unless you're causing a strain on their network, that's kinda what they mean.

Then go and read the OP's post where he says that he is talking about the 5MB package which has a definate limit advertised -as is mentioned in his/her post- and does not fall into the AUP/UPC issue, so your post is completely pointless and not needed.

This issue has been done to death here, so lets not bring it up when it's really not needed!

you are a hypocrite you said it is misleading yet not illegal yet under the sale of goods and services act 1980 misleading is against the law. so yes it is illegal.

you are a hypocrite you said it is misleading yet not illegal yet under the sale of goods and services act 1980 misleading is against the law. so yes it is illegal.

Are you kidding me!

So you're saying Big Macs are against the law, cause I've never once gotten one that looks like the adds.
    Or Lynx cause I've never sprayed on deodorant and been mobbed by 50 bikini models.
    Or Adidas cause they show Gerrard scoring a great goal that I'd never be able to in their adds, when he's wearing their boots.
    And so on, and so on....

If you haven't realised that every company ever, tries to make their product more appealing, you're leaving a very sheltered life.

UPC say it's unlimited with an AUP, cause that's exactly what it is.
    If you live in a low contention area, and your usage is 300GB then nothing will happen to you.
    If you live in a high contention area and your useage is 300GB then they will ask you to cut back, as your usage is going to effect dozens of other people.

Unlimted subject to AUP means......

Unlimited subject to AUP!!!

Now maybe you should go off and start the worlds biggest class action suit against every company ever.
    I'm sure you'll win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement