Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrace Victorian - Room Insulation

• 18-05-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I'm replastering and insulating a number of first floor rooms in a terrace red-brick and would appreciate some opinions/guidance:

I am putting insulation backed boards on the exterior walls of course. New low-e double glazing in.

Is there any value in putting the same insulation backed boards on the interior walls that I share with neighbours i.e. a stone wall and platered must transfer a lot ofheat between buildings .... I think I can get away with a 30mm insulation backed board without taking up too much room (dont want to dryline) or is this overkill?

Is there value in insulating the floor on the first floor (bedrooms)? My logic is that this will keep more heat in the rooms below (living rooms) where it is more needed? I presume rockwool roll-out insulation is the easiest to use here (and will avoid having to lift every single floor board).

All thoughts appreciated,

C.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The main benefit of insulating floors is to reduce the noise and rockwool does a good job for this. I wouldn't bother for the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

Any thoughts on insulating terrace walls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Again for noise. Can't see the point for heat, unless you anticipate your house is going to be more than 10 degrees higher in temperature than your neighbour's during the winter.

Remember, the mass of the wall also provides a store of heat that will warm up during the day and radiate in the cooler night.

Advertisement