Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic or Web Design???

Options
  • 18-05-2010 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all,

To summarise my current situation I have a degree in New Media and English from UL and I have been working in hospitality since graduating a year and a half ago(grateful to have a job but longing to get my life and sanity back-all weekends and hyper brides to be is quite trying to say the least!!!) My strongest skills has always been my artistic and creative abilities and I am keen to forge a career using these skills. I have always been interested in graphic design and I proved very strong when completing design projects in college. I am seriously considering going back to college as an undergraduate to study graphic design as there does not appear to be any good part time courses in graphic design out there. I have been looking at the design communications course in CIT while also considering the BA in Multimedia. I am looking for a creative course but I am also conscious that I will need to be competent in web design also and i am worried that there is not enough emphasis on web design in the design communications course.

I would be very grateful for any help or feedback as heading back to college is going to be an expensive venture and I really want to make the right decision.

Thanks a million smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Well i cant answer your question about money or where to look etc cause im in a slightly different scenario but to answer your main question i personally feel that Graphic and Web design are two completely different disciplines, yes you should try and learn web design if you can but i dont think its 100% necessary. For example you could get a graphic design job doing leaflets or magazine layouts or any number of jobs that you dont have to be web confident for. On the other hand you would need to have a fair understanding of PS to design web pages.

At the end of the day web work is more about coding then designing which isnt what youre looking for i gather but if you can learn it youre only helping your chances.

Advertisement