Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Eircom contract

Options
  • 18-05-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have a potential problem with Eircom, any advice would be appreciated.
    I had calls and broadband bundle with Perlico. I was completely happy with this and had no desire to change.

Eircom chap calls to the door when I am out and sells a deal to Mrs Marevlli which she thinks is worth signing for on the spot. I find out about this some days later and, politely, inform Mrs Marevlli that she should not have signed this deal and that we should stay with Perlico. I tell her to cancel this arrangement under the cooling off arrangement.

Eircom left no paperwork or copy of any signed contract. Mrs Marevlli calls Eircom several times. She was told that they have no copy of any arrangement or new contract; nothing has been registered or processed as of yet. She tells them that she wants to cancel in any event, they take a note of it, and all seems well.

Some days later a bill arrives from Eircom. I’m obviously not happy with this, so Mrs Marevlli calls Eircom. They say that because she didn’t cancel in writing that the contract is in force.

In the meantime, she goes ahead and switches back to Perlico!

My position: I am the householder. The house is legally in my name (not in our joint names). The Perlico bill was in both my name and my wife’s name. I was not consulted by Eircom prior to the switch over and my consent was never given. The Eircom bill/contract is entirely in my wife’s name. I want to break this Eircom contract and stay with/switch back to Perlico as I feel it was never a valid contract because (1) no paperwork was left by Eircom after my wife signed for it (2) my consent, as house owner and joint bill holder was never sought or given (3) my wife tried to cancel this by phone within 7 days and was told that a note had been taken and was never told that she had to do this in writing.

Any opinions on how to handle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Eircom have very dodgy rules in how they get people to switch over.

1)When you move back to Eircom via a phone rep you get transferred to a 3rd party company to validate that you are aware of the fact you are moving back to Eircom and get sent out a letter about this and I would have thought the same would apply to a door to door seller.

2)The person who agrees to the switch over of services has to be over 18 but does not have to be the house owner, bill payer or even live there.

3)Every call placed to Eircom customer service IS RECORDED so if you're wife can remember the time, date and name of person she tried to cancel the service with that might help getting this sorted as the changing of an account from one Telco to another without the person's permission is called Slamming and looked upon very seriously by Comreg.

4)Get onto Comreg asap and explain this situation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Venom wrote: »
    Eircom have very dodgy rules in how they get people to switch over.

1)When you move back to Eircom via a phone rep you get transferred to a 3rd party company to validate that you are aware of the fact you are moving back to Eircom and get sent out a letter about this and I would have thought the same would apply to a door to door seller.

Yeah, right. Maybe it's what's supposed to happen, but it doesn't. My parents, even when they made it crystal clear they were not interested and did not want to be moved back (because they were suspicious of this happening and wanted to be as clear as possible), were moved anyway. There was no transfer to a third party or any of that. They just went ahead and did it when specifically told not to. Bunch of bloody cowboys.

Luckily they were moved away again without real hassle when they made it clear they wouldn't be taking any of this sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kahless wrote: »
    Yeah, right. Maybe it's what's supposed to happen, but it doesn't. My parents, even when they made it crystal clear they were not interested and did not want to be moved back (because they were suspicious of this happening and wanted to be as clear as possible), were moved anyway. There was no transfer to a third party or any of that. They just went ahead and did it when specifically told not to. Bunch of bloody cowboys.

Luckily they were moved away again without real hassle when they made it clear they wouldn't be taking any of this sh!t.

Its how its ment to be done and as I said above its called "Slamming" in the trade. Eircom have very dodgy sales practices and have gotten into major trouble with Comreg over stunts like this.

Where your parents contacted over the phone or by a door to door goon?

Advertisement