Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get wireless to turn on?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

My brothers laptop was working grand for access the net wirelessly (it's a HP pavillian laptop) and then it stopped(might have been after a connection drop, have to check with him). so when I went to try and fix it for him I noticed that the wireless didn't appear to be turned on. He has a switch on the side of the computer to turn the wireless on and off. This has the light on it and seems to be on. Have set it to both positions. have restarted a few times too. I went onto the HP website and reinstalled the wireless drivers but still nothing.

I had a work around for this problem where the wireless is turned off in the computer which involved restarted in the wireless zero configuration in the services section, but that was for XP and i don't see this service in Vista.

So, it seems the prob is that the wireless is turned off in the computer. Any ideas on how to get it started again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Have you checked in the device manager to see if its enabled/disabled. Prob your best first port of call!

Let us know. There plenty of geeks on here who can help ya! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Is your internet pages not being displayed ?

try this

Go to run under start menu

Type cmd then hit enter

Then type :

ipconfig/release

then

ipconfig/renew

Then

ipconfig/flushdns

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

If you go to control panel/network and sharing center/Manage wireless networks, and click on Add, you normally get a list of available networks.

What happens in your case?

EDIT: and a stupid question - the wireless network is up and running, right? (you're probably using it to post this, but...)

Another obvious question we need to get out of the way: in control panel/network connections, is the wireless connection listed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Is your internet pages not being displayed ?

try this

Go to run under start menu

Type cmd then hit enter

Then type :

ipconfig/release

then

ipconfig/renew

Then

ipconfig/flushdns

Is it not, unplug router and cable, after 10 minutes plug them in again,

1st : ipconfig /flushdns

2nd : ipconfig /release

3rd : ipconfig /renew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Nice one for all the replies lads.
    DanGlee wrote: »
    Have you checked in the device manager to see if its enabled/disabled. Prob your best first port of call!

Let us know. There plenty of geeks on here who can help ya! :)

Ya that was one of the first places I went to. I'm pretty sure it was enabled when i looked. I will check again when I get home to be sure.
    Oink wrote: »
    If you go to control panel/network and sharing center/Manage wireless networks, and click on Add, you normally get a list of available networks.

What happens in your case?

EDIT: and a stupid question - the wireless network is up and running, right? (you're probably using it to post this, but...)
    Oink wrote: »
    Another obvious question we need to get out of the way: in control panel/network connections, is the wireless connection listed?

Using a different computer to access the net. The laptop is my brothers. Just trying to fix it for him. No wireless networks show up. That's the problem. it says windows cannot find any. I'm fairly sure that its because the wireless is turned off, as other laptops can connect to the same router no problem.

Most haunted: no internet pages being displayed as not connected to any wireless network.

Problem is I can't figure out how to turn the wireless back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have you got an fn key and a key with a wireless sign on it

No wireless icon on any of the F keys. Have to wait till he gets a new charger t check the other things

Its a dv6000, So i suppose that explains the wireless problem. He bought it in the US too. I'll have him ring up HP when his new charger comes and he should be able to get sorted from them if its a dodgy wireless card

Nice one for the links :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement