Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending lease on rented house?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Myself and two other friends are renting a house through an estate agents at college. When we signed the lease back in august there was a minimum of 12 months which we agreed to and signed thinking we would stay in the same house for the following year also.

But know we have no intentions of keeping the house for next year, and were all finish college for the summer and are going home. So the house is lying empty for the last 2 months of the lease which we are expected to pay for. I'm just wondering is the any way we can get out of this lease for the final two months or is there any chance of the estate agents allowing us to do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

its doubtful, you signed up for 12 months and knew what to expect at the end of college, your best bet is to speak to owner/estate agents and let them get it on the market ASAP, if they find a renter they may allow you a repreive on payment, the only way to know for sure is to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

daniel91 wrote: »
    Myself and two other friends are renting a house through an estate agents at college. When we signed the lease back in august there was a minimum of 12 months which we agreed to and signed thinking we would stay in the same house for the following year also.

But know we have no intentions of keeping the house for next year, and were all finish college for the summer and are going home. So the house is lying empty for the last 2 months of the lease which we are expected to pay for. I'm just wondering is the any way we can get out of this lease for the final two months or is there any chance of the estate agents allowing us to do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Why would they let you out of the lease? They will then have the house lying idle instead for the 2 months. In fairness you signed a 12 month contract, your stuck with it I'm afriad. No harm in asking but in this climate they'd be insane to let you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Would I be aloud to advertise the house myself to try and offload it for the last 2 months?

daniel91 wrote: »
    Would I be aloud to advertise the house myself to try and offload it for the last 2 months?

I would not think so. The landlord still owns the house so it is he/she that decides who lives there. Nothing stopping you from seeking permission to this though, but given it could get messy legally (e.g. if someone damaged the house would you or the new person be responsible) I wager he/she will refuse and tell you that you're locked into the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I thought that if you wanted to leave before lease was up, most agencies or landlords would take the deposit and leave it at that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I thought that if you wanted to leave before lease was up, most agencies or landlords would take the deposit and leave it at that?

That used to be the case when tenants were easy to get. It's still the case sometimes now but if a legally binding agreement is signed for a certain term then the full rent must be paid and the landlord can pursue them for it.

Cathooo wrote: »
    That used to be the case when tenants were easy to get. It's still the case sometimes now but if a legally binding agreement is signed for a certain term then the full rent must be paid and the landlord can pursue them for it.

Yeah depending on your landlord it could create bad blood. Be sure that you have no damage done and take photos of as much of the house, any potential problem spots etc. if your planning to let your deposit cover the last month or so. Otherwise you could end up sacrificing the deposit plus the two months rent. Not saying all landlords are like this but some are. (And obviously if you have done damage then that should come out of your deposit).

Advertisement