Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norton Security Renewal

• 18-05-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Innocent abroad kinda question. Norton Security package is up for renewal today. False economy not to renew? I have an Inspiron. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i find norton to be a resource hog. same with mcafee. go with one of the free one's like AVG or Avira. better than norton imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What you could do is check out Curry's etc for old versions of Norton security.
    I bought the 2009 internet security version for a fiver :D and it will do me for 3 pcs only a few weeks ago. I'm only sorry I didn't buy the other remaining copy :( Once you install it it automatically updates to the latest version :D
    So for the price of a fiver I'm covered for the next year or so.
    The latest norton antivirus is excellent and has an extremely low footprint compared to previous versions which were brutal..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Or even better get Microsofts Free Anti Virus which works well, is 100% free with no nags, and itsnt a resource hog either :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yoyo wrote: »
    Or even better get Microsofts Free Anti Virus which works well, is 100% free with no nags, and itsnt a resource hog either :)

Nick

one problem with it...it doesn't pick up the facebook viruses currently going around...sick of telling my family...don't fúcking click on video links in facebook..who has to fix their pc? me of course :mad:
    plus you have to update it via windows update..unless you sep AU to automatic updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There are better free antiviruses, this is what I'd recommend:
    http://www.avast.com/en-eu/free-antivirus-download
    But make sure You run this first

I'd also recommend You install this, update and run it once a month
    And also this (be sure stop it installing the toolbar while installing), run it also once a month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Berkut wrote: »
    one problem with it...it doesn't pick up the facebook viruses currently going around...sick of telling my family...don't fúcking click on video links in facebook..who has to fix their pc? me of course :mad:
    plus you have to update it via windows update..unless you sep AU to automatic updates.

It updates independently without using windows update (WU will remind you if you havnt updated recently, however), ive used MSE for a while and am happy with it, used to use avira but the constant nagging and flase possitives got annoying, I think the facebook viruses may be malware related, so maybe try running an anti spyware program like super I think has realtime protection alongside your av, every little helps (Its safe to run a anti virus and anti spyware realtime protections together,

hth

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive only ever renewed norton when they email me one of those special offers, like renew for $10 or something. The normal $50 they ask is too exhorbitant.

Honestly the security offered (spam, firewall, reacharound defense network, etc.) is quite overkill for most people's needs. I dont think its a resource hog (i've ran a few tests, its fairly light), but still just unnecessary for the most part. I only ever seem to do something stupid 3 or 4 times a year that it actually finds something to block, etc. - If you can renew it cheap fine but if youre being asked to bay €30 or something I would simply not bother, get it removed and plug in Microsoft Security Essentials (I think I now prefer this to avast). In my experience though, the longer you wait till the renewal date, the more likely they are to drop the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Many thanks everybody for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Berkut wrote: »

Take admin privileges away from their account, I find this to be the single best way to combat viruses and other malware getting installed on the family computer simply because they can't install it.

It's not like they need admin privileges for day to day operations anyways.

Advertisement