Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon Volunteer Photographers Wanted

• 18-05-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

We are looking for volunteer photographers for the Cork City Marathon. You will be an official photographer at the race and have pass. This is an unpaid position. We need five people to take a section of the track and photograph every runner that passes. PM me if interested.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Sounds interesting. PM on the way :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

What do you plan on doing with all the photos that are taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

At least if you apply to go, make sure you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Should be posted in services wanted/offered.

Who owns copyright on images, what will be done with the images, what access will be given, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Paulw wrote: »
    Who owns copyright on images, what will be done with the images, what access will be given, etc etc.

also curious to these answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

must give tom cruise as shout ,see if hes got a spare mask:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

kensutz wrote: »
    At least if you apply to go, make sure you go!

Why what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Is the event run on a for-profit basis? I'll fourth the question about subsequent rights.

EDIT: The marathon raised approximately 560,000 euros last year, before you figure in sponsorships. And you want a photographer to work for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Fenster wrote: »
    Is the event run on a for-profit basis? I'll fourth the question about subsequent rights.

EDIT: The marathon raised approximately 560,000 euros last year, before you figure in sponsorships. And you want a photographer to work for free?

You do know taking photos at the marathon doesn't mean you're eligible to a share of that €560,000? :confused:

If they wanted me as as an official photographer at a for-profit event I'd expect to be paid. Equipment and time isn't free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Maybe this is a good idea for beginner photographers?
    Is the marathon for charity etc? If it is, is volunteering your time to a charity event etc such a bad thing?

It's not all about the money folks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If they wanted me as as an official photographer at a for-profit event I'd expect to be paid. Equipment and time isn't free.

You don't think that by "official" it means you'll have access to the track and not the one being hired by cork city marathon..?

The word official can take different terms I think, I could say i'm the official photographer of an event (infact I am ) I received payment the rest were there doing the same job as me, But weren't getting paid. I was the official photograher but the others did the same stuff as me and were known as official photographers and were in it for the all access pass.

I've applied for this and would love to do it, I've never shot it before and what's better than being in the best possible position for the first event. It gives me something to add to my portfolio.

Einstein wrote: »
    Maybe this is a good idea for beginner photographers?
    Is the marathon for charity etc? If it is, is volunteering your time to a charity event etc such a bad thing?

It's not all about the money folks...

Ultimately, it is. The idea behind accreditation is that somebody else will want to hire you. A chain of jobs working for credit doesn't necessarily lead to paying work unless you insist on getting paid from day 1.

Ultimately, it is. The idea behind accreditation is that somebody else will want to hire you. A chain of jobs working for credit doesn't necessarily lead to paying work unless you insist on getting paid from day 1.
    Or you offer your time to a "possible" charity as most marathons do tend to be for some kind of charity...
    Your pictures are taken and used and then anyone that wants to use you as their photographer, contacts the marathon organisers and gets in touch with you that way? Plausable?

I have no quams about the whole accreditation thing. But just because you don't get paid doesn't always mean the photograph's aren't yours.

It's not a charity event. It's a commercial event.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people on the day getting paid - IT techs, light engineers, sound engineers, and the list goes on. Just look at the sponsorship page.

Again, there has been no answer as to what you get for being accredited. What will they want in exchange for allowing you access?

Paulw wrote: »
    What will they want in exchange for allowing you access?

Your soul!:D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to give out or anything :)
    I just know as someone that has an interest in photography I'd welcome an oppurtunity to get behind the lines and shoot a little bit for the experience it would give me.

It says that it's voluntary from the original post...I just hate the whole bandwagon of "pfft why would we do it for free attitude".

There's plenty of people that would!

'tis all!

To go from the start, it is the fact that most people/companies are cheap and will use someone for credit instead of paying them. The amount of credit given is pithy: Mostly it is just your name. If you have a common name...oh, snap! Sorry.

Secondly, as far as I can gather the event (please feel free to correct me because my facts are admittedly shaky) is run on a for-profit basis by the city of Cork. They have registration fees (that's where I pulled my 560,000 number from) and corporate sponsorships galore.

Third, as I learned the hard way in Las Vegas working for credit is giving over your time to somebody who is going to earn money off your back and probably try a rights grab too. If it gets around that you'll work for credit that is all you are going to make for a very long time unless you fight to get paid right from the start. While I am not working for any money right now, I have in the past and I will stress that working for credit hurts the entire photographic profession.

Fourth, experience? How? It isn't bloody hard to borrow a long lens, plant yourself at a good spot along the route and take photographs. I've done as much in other areas.

I'd rather go as a spectator and shoot over a barrier rather than someone asking me to sit at a point and shoot so many thousand shots for feck all.

Do they want the photographers to edit the shots too? Now you're talking mega bucks!

Fourth, experience? How? It isn't bloody hard to borrow a long lens, plant yourself at a good spot along the route and take photographs. I've done as much in other areas.
    easy there tiger...

sorry I opened my mouth!:(

• Advertisement

I've covered a few athletic events, for free. But, my deal with the organisers was that in exchange for my services, I was the only photographer linked from their website and I was listed as their official photographer. That way, all image requests came to me.

I was happy with that. I gave my time to them for free, and they had a photographer.

BUT ... for an event like this Cork City Marathon, it's a large commercial venture, with large sponsors. I honestly doubt that everyone is giving their time and energy for free.

If your images are worth using, then they're worth paying for. What does credit get you?? In reality, SFA, since next time someone wants a photographer ... they'll credit you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

is there not an company that do these events

they hire photographers and then sell the images online or something

i am sure there are people here that have shot for them both in dublin and london from what i remember

easy there tiger...

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as so hardline and bitter.

stcstc wrote: »
    is there not an company that do these events

they hire photographers and then sell the images online or something

i am sure there are people here that have shot for them both in dublin and london from what i remember

Yes, usually there is. And, with them getting "volunteer" photographers, they dramatically increase their profits. :eek:

I'm sure there will also be other photographers there (being paid), from the papers, from the agencies (Inpho/Sportsfile).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

It looks like a commercial venture and the OP ajs <SNIP> seems to be running a website http://www.finishlinephotographs.com/index.html. You can purchase images of yourself if you're running in the race. If, as this seems, this guy is making money from photogs for credit then IMO, anyone who signs up to this is a SCHMUCK... :confused: :pac:

oshead wrote: »
    It looks like a commercial venture and the OP ajs <SNIP> seems to be running a website http://www.finishlinephotographs.com/index.html. You can purchase images of yourself if you're running in the race. If, as this seems, this guy is making money from photogs for credit then IMO, anyone who signs up to this is a SCHMUCK... :confused: :pac:

Fantastic detective work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I had pm'd him asking for some more details, i've retracted that now, thanks Oshead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Still no word from the OP??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Still no word from the OP??

Sounds like yet another person/s who value photography/ers at zero.

Mods: should this type of thing not be in the "Services Wanted" section and maybe even that should be split between "Paid Wanted" / "Wanted for Free(Charity)" and "Wanted for Free to make Profit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

If it IS the same guy then this pretty despicable, and he's also engaged in a bit of underhanded schilling in one of his other posts. I think this needs a mod to look into it. If it's actually true then the guy should probably be banned outright.

easy there tiger...

Not too clever no, Einstein.... Eh? :D

And theres more.... Seems it could be family run. http://www.who.is/whois/finishlinephotographs.com/

Make of it what you will. IMO, If it was for charity it would have been mentioned by the OP in the first instance.

Anyway...

<BEGIN_RANT>
    I'm getting a bit pi-s-s-ed off with the recent blight of new threads which are requesting photogs here to do some free photography for them. It begs the question, are most photographers a little soft in the head that they would work for nothing. :confused: It pisses me off even more when some so called amateur photogs get on here and defends these unscrupulous business people, stating that they would like to get credit, it's good for the ego, and you pro's wouldn't understand. :rolleyes: Gimme a break.
    <END_RANT>

And there's more, but why bother. I'll just get some crank, rank amateur come on here to tell me I'm wrong. Who cares, Talk to the hand, yada yada yada....... do me a favor and go back to your day job. In the mean time i'll continue, and try to earn money from photography in order to keep a roof over my head and put food on my child's plate.... :pac:

If it IS the same guy then this pretty despicable, and he's also engaged in a bit of underhanded schilling in one of his other posts. I think this needs a mod to look into it. If it's actually true then the guy should probably be banned outright.

Not sure what you're on about Daire, but I was only making a comparison with another ( as far as I know) unrelated thread.

Covey, I think Daire is talking about this thread. Where he is pretending to be a joe soap and is instead advertising his site for profit no less.

Daire, please correct me if I'm wrong.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Covey wrote: »
    Not sure what you're on about Daire, but I was only making a comparison with another ( as far as I know) unrelated thread.

I was talking about what oshead was saying. If the OP is the same guy who runs that website then
    1. This sort of thing has reached a whole new low, and
    2. The guy is schilling the same website in another of his posts without actually acknowledging any link to it.
    Number 2 at the very least tends to be frowned upon by the good folk on the moderation team. I've reported the thing anyway, so some mod will probably look it over.

-edit- @oshead yep, thats the one.

Covey, I think Daire is talking about this thread. Where he is pretending to be a joe soap and is instead advertising his site for profit no less.

D, grand wasn't aware of that. Thought it was about another, unrelated, thing for profit.

But it is time to regulate this thing on here imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Omg!! What a con man!!
    He has to be banned 100%. Talk about supplying his own rope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This should have been in the Services Thread. I will close this thread now and copy the OP to the correct thread.

I have shot quite a few Marathons & get paid for it. The company I shoot for supply the equipment too. I would be reluctant to shoot one for free, especially with my own gear. At the Berlin Marathon I shot about 21K images on the day. This is a fair chunk of the life of a shutter & they are not cheap to replace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement