Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I correct in thinking that....

Options
  • 18-05-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

You can only have a .ie / .co.uk etc if you host it in that country.

I have a dot.com and I want to set-up dots euro wide. WIll I need to host seperately in each individual country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

No, my .ie is hosted in the UK, but from what I gather it's a big help with local search engines to be hosted locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

no you can have a .com here, likewise you can have a .ie hosted in another country (I have currently).

Google suggest that they look at the TLD first when they are deciding/considering what country you are trying to target with your site.

If its a .fr - well your not really targeting Irish punters etc seemingly. But you can give google a nudge by using the geo targeting in your webmaster tools. So if you were using a .com - but wanted to target IRE punters you'd set that in your tools

Advertisement