Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn weeds

Options
  • 18-05-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I have a huge amount of weeds in my lawn, any advice on the best treatment. Is Croplink D50 a good option.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i think your best bet would be just feed and weed stuff. or else maby get the spray grazon 90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

gary29428 wrote: »
    I have a huge amount of weeds in my lawn, any advice on the best treatment. Is Croplink D50 a good option.

Many Thanks

It may not be what you want to hear but id you have a lot of medium to big weeds such as daisys or dandelions you need to get out with a big flat head scredriver (or the like) and take them up. Yes it can take a while but once you have done this there will be that many less to create new ones in your lawn.

You can then use a spray to kill weeds and feed the lawn and then try applying more grass seed, you can get some that also have a feed mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I use a big flat screwdriver to get the dandolines and thistles up, then get the lawn feed and weed but give it a light scatter, then after two weeks give it another sprinkle.
    It is important to use it after the last frost and by doing it in 2 doses it is not as severe on the lawn but effefictive enough on the weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

EverGreen weed and feed will sort it.

We move into our house and lawn was full of weeds, dandelions and daisy's three years ago. Every year we use evergreen weed and feed and their autumn one too and now have the best lawn in the street. No weeds, daisy's or dandelions

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

I would say a general rule of thumb is anything over 75% weeds isn't worth trying to bring back to life. There would be so little grass left after you get rid of the weeds, you would be better to start fresh if it's too infested.
    Cheers
    Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

can anyone recommend a spray? i'm looking at spaying my garden and using Mortone or Mortox
    Thanks
    MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

You could try liking dandelions and daisies rather than trying to poison them and your problem disappears. We have a developed a cultural dislike of these flowers even though they add extra colour to our lawns and have many wildlife benefits. It flies in the face of nature for us to continue gardening like this.

I recently recieved the following anecdote on the subject.

God and Lawn Care

God said: "Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, milkweeds and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But, all I see are these green rectangles."

St. FRANCIS:
    It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

GOD:
    Grass? But, it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees; only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

ST. FRANCIS:
    Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

GOD:
    The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

ST. FRANCIS:
    Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it-sometimes twice a week.

GOD:
    They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

ST. FRANCIS:
    Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

GOD:
    They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

ST. FRANCIS:
    No, Sir, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

GOD:
    Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And, when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

ST. FRANCIS:
    Yes, Sir.

GOD:
    These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

ST. FRANCIS:
    You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it, so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

GOD:
    What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. It's a natural cycle of life.

ST. FRANCIS:
    You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

GOD:
    No!? What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter to keep the soil moist and loose?

ST. FRANCIS:
    After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

GOD:
    And where do they get this mulch?

ST. FRANCIS:
    They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

GOD:
    Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

ST. CATHERINE:
    'Dumb and Dumber', Lord. It's a story about....

GOD:

Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

I'm gonna get me religion, I'm a gonna join me a baptist church! and not cut the grass anymore!!

praise be

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

gary29428 wrote: »

Many Thanks

Chemicals like D50, CMPP or MCPA tend to controll only a limited range of weeds. Unless you know exactly what weeds you have you would be better to use a product that has a mixture of active ingredients to get a more broad spectrum controll.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Can you recommend one Brian, active ingredients means nothing to me.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I agree with Rinker about weeds. Currently my lawn is a blaze with colour. White daisies and yellow creeping buttercup amongst the grass which I choose to allow stay.

But the definition of a weed is a plant growing in the wrong place and ultimately this is a personal decision to you.

As mentioned by a previous poster Grazon 90 will give good controll of a wide range of "plants" (but not grass). The rate is 30ml in 5 litres water.
    Spray to thoroughly wet the foliage of the plant, but avoid “run-off.
    AVOID Spray drift unto plants that you don't want to kill.

Should you decide to use Grazon 90 it was priced at €48 per Litre (incl VAT) in Drummonds Agri-Merchants today.
    I'm not saying that this is a good price but you can use it as a marker.

mchammer wrote: »
    I'm gonna get me religion, I'm a gonna join me a baptist church! and not cut the grass anymore!!

praise be

cheers

Joining a Baptist church won't stop you cutting your lawn. You just won't be doing it on a Sunday.

The Wonder of Weeds - BBC 4
    Saturday 25th June 2011 8.00pm

Blue Peter gardener Chris Collins celebrates the humble and sometimes hated plants we call weeds. He discovers that there is no such thing as a weed, botanically speaking, and that in fact what we call a weed has changed again and again over the last three hundred years. Chris uncovers the story of our changing relationship with weeds - in reality, the story of the battle between wilderness and civilisation. He finds out how weeds have been seen as beautiful and useful in the past, and sees how their secrets are being unlocked today in order to transform our crops. Chris asks whether, in our quest to eliminate Japanese Knotweed or Rhododendron Ponticum, we are really engaged in an arms race we can never win.

Advertisement