Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zipp 404 special edition(clincher) V's shimano 7850 cl 50 deep section wheels

• 18-05-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all

Im in need of some advice.Of the 2 set of wheels which would be the better overall.I do a lot of racing and some tt's.If there are any other sugestions for other wheels, I would be grateful for all sugestions

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

The 7850's are road tubeless if I remember. They also use open bearings, and if there is a warranty issue they need to be sent to UK. Heavy compared to Zipps

The Zipps have the campy option. They also have poorly finished rims (the braking surface is not parallel left to right and often not concentric with the carbon part). The cartridge bearings in Zipp wheels do not last long and cost €20 each for original bearings. Warranty on Zipp wheels is easier because of an Irish supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The 7850's are road tubeless if I remember.

As I understand it the 7850 CLs come in a tubeless and non-tubeless version. They will be non-tubeless unless specifically stated otherwise.

When they first shipped they came without rim tape, but then rim tape was added in a "recall" due to punctures.
    Heavy compared to Zipps

They are lighter than 404 clinchers but heavier than 404 tubulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't think there is a significant weight difference. Wiggle have the Zipps at 1,740g actual weight while Weight Weenies have the Dura Ace WH-7850-C50-CL at 1,749g.

I would suspect from what I read that the Shimano wheels will be more reliable. The Zipps may be marginally more aero.

Also worth considering Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs. I have these (clincher) and Zipp 404 (tubular) and there is little between them on a flat course... subjective opinion. The Mavics have a good reputation for reliability and are a fair bit cheaper. The whole combo is around 500g in the difference so I think I feel it a bit on the hills.

One of the big problems with my Zipps is brake rub on the rear when pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Lumen wrote: »
    They are lighter than 404 clinchers
    The 50mm version? Interesting, I did run the assumption that the DA were heavier cos at that depth section there aren't many lighter than the Zipp. Oops:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The 50mm version? Interesting, I did run the assumption that the DA were heavier cos at that depth section there aren't many lighter than the Zipp. Oops:o
    Zipp tubs are pretty light but their clinchers are middle of the road as far as I can make out. Just about anything lighter in a clincher uses a carbon braking surface though. AFAIK the Special Edition are a bit heavier than the 2010 "normal" Zipp clinchers- they are basically an older model year of the wheel.

• Advertisement

Sorry, terminology confusion.

The wheel most commonly referred to as a "7850 CL" is the 24mm version, whose full name is "WH-7850-C24-CL".

The wheel most commonly referred to as a "7850 C50" is the 50mm version, whose full name is "WH-7850-C50-CL".

Both use an alloy rim/carbon laminate structure.

Then there are the tubeless versions, the non-CL (SL) versions, and the tubular versions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veedub02

Thanks for all the advice.

Since you are buying these wheels for racing, you might also consider some full carbon rims.

I've been using my Soul C5s every ride for the last few weeks, both racing and training, and they're as true as they came.

There is a little pulsing when braking hard, and the braking on very steep wet descents is barely adequate, but I've noticed neither issue when racing. The wet braking performance might be improved with a change of pads.

It really comes down to how much you value the ~400g weight saving over deep alloy wheels in exchange for less than ideal braking. Reynolds Assaults are another option, though they're shallower and heavier than the Souls.

If I hadn't gone down the carbon clincher route I'd have probably gone with some used Zipp 404 tubulars which are lighter still. Or some Planet-X 50mm tubulars which are relatively cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

you all better say Zipps!

I killed my piggy bank to get 404 tubs today!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Very good price on the Shimano's here

• Advertisement
Advertisement