Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta & Pizza Flour

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Would anyone know where I can buy a Pasta & Pizza flour? Lots of recipies on the internet but I cant find them in shops.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look for strong bread flour in the shop, Odlums make one.
    Doves farm organic is also good, try a health food shop they usually have a better range of speciality flours than the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Pizza and Pasta need two different flours.

Pizza is made with yeast so needs a strong flour ( high in gluten) as was already said in a previous post. I use Odlums, or Hovis or Addisons, all available in Supermarkets.

For pasta, plain flour is OK, but a durum semolina flour is recommended.

Here is a website that explains why different flours are best for different
    pasta recipes.

http://www.pasta-recipes-made-easy.com/pasta-flour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rosenallis

00 flour is good enough for me, and you get a great thin base!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

You can use either 00 flour or Leviathan flour..!!

Info can be found HERE.....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A bit OT but I saw tesco are doing pizza base mixes now, it is in the section with flour and bread/scone mixes. It was very cheap like 29c or something, I think it even works out cheaper than buying the yeast itself, i.e. it had yeast in it and dry yeast sachets on their own are relatively expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

pizza: strong white flour (either tesco or odlums), you can 'cut' it with plain flour (odlums cream)

pasta: plain flour (i.e.: italian 00 or odlums cream) doesn't make any sense unless you're doing egg pasta, because the egg will help binding the flour together; to do non-egg pasta you have to use durum flour + water. So, to summarize:
    egg pasta = plain flour + egg (no water, no oil, no anything else)
    standard pasta = durum flour + water (no eggs, no oil, no anything else)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

There is a shop on Dunville Avenue in Rathmines called Best of Italy that sell both...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bgar True

Thanks for all the suggestions - actually found a Roma Pizza & Pasta flour in Superquinn Lucan last Friday.

Roma have a video on their website on how to make egg pasta using this flour - didnt try it yet but it looks pretty straight forward http://www.roma.ie/MeetOurCooks/Default.aspx?sec=vid

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Bgar True wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions - actually found a Roma Pizza & Pasta flour in Superquinn Lucan last Friday.

Roma have a video on their website on how to make egg pasta using this flour - didnt try it yet but it looks pretty straight forward http://www.roma.ie/MeetOurCooks/Default.aspx?sec=vid

I had a look, I don't agree with the process (parsley in the flour?? jesus), anyway you can try :D

Advertisement