Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Casting lessons

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Can anybody recommend a good place to get one on one fly casting lessons in the dublin wicklow area. And how much a lesson costs. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Head over to the Trout and Salmon Fishing Forum.
    http://www.troutandsalmonfishingforum.com

Register on there and then contact a user on there called kiki. His real name is Keith McDonnell and he is a GAIA certified casting instructor - not sure what he charges but what he doesn't know about flycasting probably isn't worth knowing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you are Dublin based, and willing to bring your gear preferably (I can supply if necessary) to the Dodder or possibly Corcagh Park for an evening, send me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I've been contemplating getting Fly casting lessons for the last while, with a view to improving my technique. I've been fly fishing for 20 odd years but I would consider myself pretty ordinary at casting.

Has anyone had lessons and how have you found them?

If anyone can recommend a good instructor in the Dublin/Wicklow area, I'd be greatly appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

when i learned to to fly fish there wasn't many who were offering casting lessons. if you already have a rod and line, why don't go to your local river/lake and just teach yourself. most anglers are usually more than obliging, and should have no problem in giving you a few tips. i would say thats how most people learn. i think it took me about 3 evenings to learn how to get the line out as far as everybody else. if you ask me learning how to play a fish properly and land it was harder.
    there are plenty of fly fishing tutorials on youtube that give great advice also.

dvae wrote: »
    when i learned to to fly fish there wasn't many who were offering casting lessons. if you already have a rod and line, why don't go to your local river/lake and just teach yourself. most anglers are usually more than obliging, and should have no problem in giving you a few tips. i would say thats how most people learn. i think it took me about 3 evenings to learn how to get the line out as far as everybody else. if you ask me learning how to play a fish properly and land it was harder.
    there are plenty of fly fishing tutorials on youtube that give great advice also.

I think you might not have read my post fully. I'm well able to cast, I've been fly fishing for 20 odd years. I was merely wondering how much would I benefit from taking a few lessons from a qualified instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Like yourself i have been fly fishing for a long time now. Last year i decided to take some lessons with a view to improving the casting ability i already had. I wrote an article about the experience here
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Would agree with the lads above. I had about 7 years self taught casting under my belt and went for a 4 hour session with qualified (AGAPI?) chap in Balbriggan a couple of years back. It was not cheap but worth every penny. Transformed my casting ability - if I had the money I'd go again for a refresher. If you think about it we are probably mad for not getting enough instruction/practice in. All the top golfers regularly get swing/putting instruction. How many of us go out with the intention of practicing our casting ability, you "always" end up fishing. I've tried it a few times and after 5-10 mins the practice goes out the window....and its straight in fishing mode.

Just my 2pence worth..;)

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I think you might not have read my post fully. I'm well able to cast, I've been fly fishing for 20 odd years. I was merely wondering how much would I benefit from taking a few lessons from a qualified instructor.

thats because i was replying to the op, and not you.
    it wouldn't be confusing if you didn't hijack the thread.

Thanks for the feedback Wgsten and Whelzer. I'm convinced. I get quite a lot of satisfaction from the process of casting, it'd be great to be more proficient.

In fact, Trout only get in the way of my enjoyment.

Dvae, I resurrected this thread. The OP, with 2 years of tuition under his belt is better than all of us.

Pedalstool wrote: »

Dvae, I resurrected this thread. The OP, with 2 years of tuition under his belt is better than all of us.

sorry, i never noticed the date on the thread. icon11.gif
    my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

look on donedeal there is a person doing lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Nodster

whelzer wrote: »
    Would agree with the lads above. I had about 7 years self taught casting under my belt and went for a 4 hour session with qualified (AGAPI?) chap in Balbriggan a couple of years back. It was not cheap but worth every penny. Transformed my casting ability - if I had the money I'd go again for a refresher.

I never fly fished in my life, did a bit of sea and course over the years, but I spent a cracking afternoon at Courtlough Trout Fishery, just south of Balbriggan. After a good hours tuition from the manager of the fishery, Garrett, he reckoned I was competent enough to start. Lovely 4 acre man-made lake in a good sheltered location. Well worth checking out the site, I'll deffo be back again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MATTYLAKEBOAT

lewik wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a good place to get one on one fly casting lessons in the dublin wicklow area. And how much a lesson costs. Thanks

Try Peter O'Rielly in Navan sound man good teacher
    Matty

Try Peter O'Rielly in Navan sound man good teacher
    Matty

Thanks for the heads up. I assume this is the same Peter O'Reilly of the Rivers and Lakes books?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MATTYLAKEBOAT

Hi it sure is has his own website type Peter O'Rielly flyfishing you should find something very patient, a great teacher.
    Regards Matty

Advertisement