Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid with carrier/mudguards?

• 18-05-2010 2:38pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well just like the world and his mother I'm looking at bikes through the BTW scheme mainly for commuting. I had a Giant Expression a few years back and it was fine. I have in my mind that a carrier and mudguards are a plus in terms of commuting in unpredictable Ireland weather wise.

I quite fancy this Giant Tourer RS3 but not knowing much about the actual parts etc. and actual reviews of bikes being pretty much non-existent when I google I was thinking maybe you have to believe you get what you pay for.

So I came here to see what the current favorites are. Thing is I can rarely if ever find anyone here recommending bikes with a carrier and mudguards. Is it just not cool or just not practical? Is my theory flawed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd probably go for a Giant CRS city bike myself. You can get a "city" version of the CRS 2.0 which has decent enough components and sturdy rack/mudguards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Plenty here with racks and mudguards. Thing is you can put a rack and mudguards on most bikes so there is no particular need to recommend something that comes with them already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Practical? Yes.
    Cool? No.

The suspension in the fork and the seatpost are a waste of money at that price point and for the riding you intend to do. I would go for one with a rigid fork and seatpost. Giant are grand bikes, so it should last if you keep it clean and maintained.

I'm not up to speed on utility bikes so maybe someone else could recommend another option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

blorg wrote: »
    Plenty here with racks and mudguards. Thing is you can put a rack and mudguards on most bikes so there is no particular need to recommend something that comes with them already.

I take the point but surely most folks just starting out want to buy and go as it were.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Something like this perhaps - https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=30425 - which is the CRS 4.0 City Bike. I'm browsing Cycle Superstore because they are close to my work here in Tallaght and Cycle Inn 'aint getting my business. Of course there may be better suppliers worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

mewso wrote: »
    I take the point but surely most folks just starting out want to buy and go as it were.
    Yes completely and often you can get good value buying all together. Just don't discount something because it doesn't come with them as standard. Any shop should stick them on for you, probably for free if you are buying a bike. A rack is very easy to fit but fitting proper full length mudguards can be a bit of a pain in the neck to be honest so if a shop will do it for free I would take them up on the offer :)

That CRS 4.0 City Bike looks like a good option, as Pete says the rigid fork is better than suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

How about a trek soho? The bike shop should put a rack on it for you if you want.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

Bluefoam wrote: »
    How about a trek soho? The bike shop should put a rack on it for you if you want.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

Might be pushing the BTW allowance of €1000 with that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Cycle Inn 'aint getting my business.
    Just curious as to why? They looked after me well for my recent purchase.

Just curious as to why? They looked after me well for my recent purchase.

Rang them several times last year, called in twice. Each time they said they'd ring me when the bike I wanted came in. Never got back to me. If someone doesn't want to do business I'm happy to oblige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Bought a Felt Xcity about 3 weeks ago on BTW scheme...LOVE it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

So I came here to see what the current favorites are. Thing is I can rarely if ever find anyone here recommending bikes with a carrier and mudguards. Is it just not cool or just not practical? Is my theory flawed?

Every bike I've ever owned has had full mudguards and luggage mounts of some sort.

I even have mudflaps (homemade) on my main bike.

I'm not remotely cool, but my bike doesn't require cleaning after cycling on wet roads.

Advertisement