Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B2 U.S. visitor visa

• 18-05-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey all,

I'm planning on heading over to a friend in New York for a few months and doing some training while I'm there. I've got my appointment for the visa interview, I'm just wondering how much money you are expected to have in your account when going for the visa. I'll be staying with him while I'm there so my expenses won't be very big, will this help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I'm assuming you are going for a B2 because you want to stay longer than 90 days and not because you are ineligible for the vwp.

They will want to know:

Why you want to go for so long? - you are training

How are you going to support yourself? - the fact that you are staying with a friend means your expenses will be small but I would think that you need to show enough money for food/travel/entertainment for the time period you will be there.

Will you return when you are finished? - do you have any commitments in Ireland? you are going for the purpose of training so that helps here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Bring a letter from the friend, stating that he will let you stay at no charge.
    How much they will want you to have depends on many things, including location (idaho is cheaper than NY!)and whether the training costs money. As PP says, you are expected to be able to support yourself and have some extra for emergencies. If you have health insurance over here which will carry over while you are in the USA, bring evidence of that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

silja makes a very good point about health insurance which I had forgotten about. I wouldn't go without it (especially if your training is in sports) but check the small print, many annual multi-trip policies have a limit on the length of any one single trip and that's not something you want to find out about when lying in a hospital bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

If large lump sum(s) went into your account shortly before your interview. You need to show that they came from a reliable source.
    Either your own income from other accounts, sales of personal items.

Or if from a benefactor close to you than you need to show evidence that the money won't be returned immediately after approval of the visa. Maybe a letter from the benefactor stating that the money is yours to spend during your stay in the United States and that the benefactor knows all about your planned stay.

Advertisement