Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of stuff in rented apartment?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just moved in to a new place last week, and have asked the landlord to take away some of the chunky stuff there such as the vacuum cleaner (they replaced all the carpets with wooden floors and the storage space I have is quite small so I don't want the vacuum taking up the whole thing), food processor, big weighing scales etc. - I own these items myself already and the apartment is small enough so I don't have the space to store the extra stuff. The landlord has come back to me (through the agent) saying she doesn't have space for that stuff herself so basically PFO. The agent said if I get rid of it myself I'd have to replace it for the next tenant when moving out.

Just wondering, is there anything I can do to force her to get rid of this stuff? I literally don't have room for my mop bucket in the storage space with the vacuum cleaner taking the whole thing up and I have nowhere else to put it, it's gonna drive me mad if I can't get rid of it somehow...

Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

No, you can't force her to take these items out. Could you not keep the mop and bucket in the bathroom perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

No, you can't force her to take these items out. Could you not keep the mop and bucket in the bathroom perhaps?

Dang! ;)

Nope - tiny apartment = tiny bathroom I'm afraid! I guess I'll just have to figure something out, maybe loan the stuff out to someone or something. The kitchen stuff could be put on top of the cupboards out of the way, so it's really just the vacuum cleaner taking up the most space - I am officially starting to hate the thing!

Thanks for quick response anyway, was worth a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you're planning on staying there for a while then maybe replacing them at the end of your lease might be the best option?

Otherwise an attic in a kind friend or relative's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Cathooo wrote: »
    If you're planning on staying there for a while then maybe replacing them at the end of your lease might be the best option?

Otherwise an attic in a kind friend or relative's house?

Well I don't really want to throw perfectly good equipment in the bin just to save on space - and at the same time don't want to spend money at the end of the lease replacing her stuff just cos she wouldn't clear the space for me!

I'd say the kindly attic option might be the best one, I'll start being very nice to everyone I know with storage space... :D

Advertisement