Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OTT article in Farming Independent

• 18-05-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

The Farming supplement wouldn't be my usual day time read but came across this one on cycling today. I think the 'journalist' probably rues the day the wheel was invented, although I hope I don't meet him if I'm on a weekend spin.
    Sounds like Benjy traded in the 40 year old tractor in for some fancy lightweight carbon:D
    http://www.independent.ie/farming/left-hopping-mad-by-the-scourge-of-cyclists-2183421.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

VanZant wrote: »
    The Farming supplement wouldn't be my usual day time read but came across this one on cycling today. I think the 'journalist' probably rues the day the wheel was invented, although I hope I don't meet him if I'm on a weekend spin.
    Sounds like Benjy traded in the 40 year old tractor in for some fancy lightweight carbon:D
    http://www.independent.ie/farming/left-hopping-mad-by-the-scourge-of-cyclists-2183421.html

You have to love articles like these sometimes , good o'l laugh at ourselves does no harm , seen a similar one in a Sunday magazine supplement a few weeks ago , hilarious .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there's a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who's also your brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

VanZant wrote: »

Reads just like all the previous bits of prose 'journalists' come out with when irritated by the presence of cyclists on the road .

He was probably delayed for a handfew of minutes last Sunday by a club out on a spin and spent the following 24-36 hours grumbling though a thesaurus and an emtomology book for big words to write an article with.

I'd agree with Deisetrek - these things are best just laughed at and that cyclists resist the urge to rise to the bait (unless it's way way beyond the pale and encouraging behaviour that would see us at increased risk like that p!llock James Martin).

We'll have to try hard not to take too much pleasure in knowing right well he'll more than likely spend plenty more time over the summer waiting to safely overtake brightly coloured 'grasshoppers' on the country's roads too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't drive, how else do you expect me to get to our farms?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

@ Captain Havoc - here's your opportunity for another movie poster (Giro d'Italia meets They Fly :p). I'll leave you to work maestro....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there's a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who's also your brother.

Win!

Read the article today ... trying to distract myself from studying!... the author could probably talk the hind legs off a donkey, but his donkeys are probably born without them because of all the chemicals he puts in their ... chips!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Some say they are human beings who, on weekends, undergo a metamorphosis and, Kafka-like, transform themselves into large insects on bicycles.

Kafka never transformed himself into a large insect on a bicycle. He was too serious a man for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Your man was obviously trying to be funny/tongue in cheek using a literary device to convey his point. Needless to say he failed spectacularly. I’m all for mocking cyclists, Lord knows there’s plenty of material but this guy is obviously out of his depth. He just seems under-read and puerile to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

As someone who grew up on a farm and a cyclist I believe I have an 'in' on this one. Fighting the mental dichotomy my reply to this article is 'crap' and isn't really worth a witty rebuttal or a troll like post in agreement with his quite basic metaphor which really does fail.....

vader-fail1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I enjoyed reading it. Had a great laugh of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

As someone who grew up on a farm and a cyclist I believe I have an 'in' on this one.vader-fail1.jpg

Move over in the bed, i'm not long off the farm myself!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there standards have dropped they must pay these guys peanuts ,tracy hogan also wright similar crap for this paper .

"its best to keep your mouth shut and let every one thing your a fool ,that open it and remove all douth "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

im not fat and that was terrible!
    and those bottles of fluid are called biddons! jees!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CheGuedara wrote: »
    @ Captain Havoc - here's your opportunity for another movie poster (Giro d'Italia meets They Fly :p). I'll leave you to work maestro....

Fair enough so:
    picture.php?albumid=1042&pictureid=6287

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

LMAO - laughing your ass off at the desk first thing on a Wednesday morning, that's hard to beat as starting a days work goes :D

Advertisement