Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

entry issue into the irish army...?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

i cant get my head around this as long as some one has convictions the irish army will not let u gain entry i have rang up enquiring as i have some convictions for stupid things from few years back when i was younger
    noting serious like robbery or anything, stuff like breach of the peace and all that non sense
    but i woulda tought the army would be cryin out for people to sign up iv applied to the royal irish army instead and have been given a date allready next month
    i think its a much better army to sing up to in my op for example ill be sent into a proper war zone after my initial training what war has the irish army been involved in,?
    so what is the big deal with haven a clean sheet to gain entry....?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

anto86 wrote: »
    i cant get my head around this as long as some one has convictions the irish army will not let u gain entry i have rang up enquiring as i have some convictions for stupid things from few years back when i was younger
    noting serious like robbery or anything, stuff like breach of the peace and all that non sense
    but i woulda tought the army would be cryin out for people to sign up iv applied to the royal irish army instead and have been given a date allready next month
    i think its a much better army to sing up to in my op for example ill be sent into a proper war zone after my initial training what war has the irish army been involved in,?
    so what is the big deal with haven a clean sheet to gain entry....?:confused:

Not sure if the Irish Army do preclude people for convictions, but for a few convictions they probably would.

The Irish Army aren't exactly crying out for troops.

For the Royal Irish you are allowed to have had minor convictions as long as they are minor enough and you are not currently awaiting any cases.

For the Irish army you have to have a clean sheet becasue so many people are applying that they can afford to be really really picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

Not sure if the Irish Army do preclude people for convictions, but for a few convictions they probably would.

The Irish Army aren't exactly crying out for troops.

For the Royal Irish you are allowed to have had minor convictions as long as they are minor enough and you are not currently awaiting any cases.

For the Irish army you have to have a clean sheet becasue so many people are applying that they can afford to be really really picky.

ah i see makes sense if you look at it that way suppose they dont need much people they dont do much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Clean sheet or not no-one would get a date for the Defence Forces now as they are not allowed to recruit.

Regarding wars: as a wise man once said,be careful what you wish for!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

good luck to ya join the brits !!!!!!!!!!!

superref wrote: »
    good luck to ya join the brits !!!!!!!!!!!

in a regiment full of irish people so makes no difference to me who im fighting for id rather sign up for them then sit on my hole doin notin in the irish one

• Advertisement

in a regiment full of irish people so makes no difference to me who im fighting for id rather sign up for them then sit on my hole doin notin in the irish one

TBH, The Royal Irish isn't as full of Irish lads as you think, most would be Northern Irish like.

Stop being disrespectful too, I know you tried to join and were told no, but no need to be bitter about it TBH.

TBH, The Royal Irish isn't as full of Irish lads as you think, most would be Northern Irish like.

Stop being disrespectful too, I know you tried to join and were told no, but no need to be bitter about it TBH.

been disrespectful to who what are you talking about big whoop northern irish iv at least 4 mates joining up as well not like ill be on my own up there who wants to join a stupid army that doesnt fight but sits on there back side doin sweet feck all every day i know a guy in it an regrets ever signing up biggest waste of time

been disrespectful to who what are you talking about big whoop northern irish iv at least 4 mates joining up as well not like ill be on my own up there who wants to join a stupid army that doesnt fight but sits on there back side doin sweet feck all every day i know a guy in it an regrets ever signing up biggest waste of time

Yet you tried to join? And complained you couldn't get in because of previous convictions. TBH, I hope you do get into the Royal Irish and I hope you do well in it. Quite jealous actually, if only for a different set of eyes TBH.

Yet you tried to join? And complained you couldn't get in because of previous convictions.

yea i tryed to join a long time ago when i was 18 im 24 now iv had mates who went in when i wanted to and they regretted it so im glad i didnt go and have a better opportunity to join a proper army any country would p.i.s.s all over us in a war the hole system is a joke in this country

yea i tryed to join a long time ago when i was 18 im 24 now iv had mates who went in when i wanted to and they regretted it so im glad i didnt go and have a better opportunity to join a proper army any country would p.i.s.s all over us in a war the hole system is a joke in this country

Then why would you start a thread wondering why convictions would preclude you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

me smells another pintless English v Irish argument stirring up

Then why would you start a thread wondering why convictions would preclude you?

as i said i couldnt under stand why did u not read the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Have you considered the Irish Guards based in Windsor?
    More likely to be people from down south in that or English people of Irish descent.
    Go for the British army - premier league vs airtricity league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

as i said i couldnt under stand why did u not read the OP

What Mini is asking is why did you wait 6 years to decide to bring up a thread about it.

gatecrash wrote: »
    What Mini is asking is why did you wait 6 years to decide to bring up a thread about it.

i wanted to sign up when i was 18 yes no joy so went on to be an electrician in stead and we all know the building trade is gone
    now iv got my date for the royal irish and having numerous arguments with people saying why not join our army disagreeing with me saying that they do let you in with or with out convictions which i no they dont
    so i wanted to find out why so i could show them the proof in black and white to shut them up and prove them wrong as i couldn't find it writtin any where alse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

is the BA some kind of cretin magnet?

please don't join the RIR, they are an excellent battalion and you may infect them.

ffs, will the IA not start recruiting so they can take their share of ninja (bollocks!) homophobes and illiterate fcukwits?

OS119 wrote: »
    is the BA some kind of cretin magnet?

please don't join the RIR, they are an excellent battalion and you may infect them.

ffs, will the IA not start recruiting so they can take their share of ninja (bollocks!) homophobes and illiterate fcukwits?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Fact of the matter is that there is a recruitment freeze in the PDF, so whether or not your convictions would be regarded as a deal breaker is a non argument. You quite simply cannot join the Irish Army. You want to get up and do something, so are doing the next best thing and joining the BA, i for one have no issue with that, and nor would most other posters. But there are always going to be a group of people in 3d land and here in Internet world for whom English = Bad.

You will meet that level of prejudice everywhere, unfortunately. You will also meet it over there too where there will be people who will tell you that PaddyIrishman=Terrorist, so be aware you will probably have to put up with quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Clean sheet or not no-one would get a date for the Defence Forces now as they are not allowed to recruit.

But this was 6 years ago when it was recruiting which compels me to ask OP was that honestly the only reason you weren't able to get in? I'm not trying to be obtuse but I'm just curious as to whether you were given a chance or just told flat out no? If the latter was the case than it's a pain but you have to understand that it's a small army and thus they always have and always will have the luxury of being picky when it comes to recruits. Further you say they were minor offences you were still responsible for doing them and although I always believe in letting silly things like that go, you must understand why this may count against you in selection. There's no need to be so bitter towards the Irish Army!! At the end of the day it wasn't them who got those convictions was it?!

That said at least you're doing the best you can by joining the BA and I wish you the best of luck with the RIR :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Go for the British army - premier league vs airtricity league!

More like Apples and Oranges, imo.

• Advertisement

piby wrote: »
    But this was 6 years ago when it was recruiting which compels me to ask OP was that honestly the only reason you weren't able to get in? I'm not trying to be obtuse but I'm just curious as to whether you were given a chance or just told flat out no? If the latter was the case than it's a pain but you have to understand that it's a small army and thus they always have and always will have the luxury of being picky when it comes to recruits. Further you say they were minor offences you were still responsible for doing them and although I always believe in letting silly things like that go, you must understand why this may count against you in selection. I wish you the best of luck with the RIR but there's no need to be so bitter towards the Irish Army!!

that was the only reason yes i had a few for acting the magit noting major but as mentioned they can be picky and i guess that's why i was over looked why pick me with some convictions when joe bloggs walks in the door with a clean rep, why pick me over him type a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

anto86,
    Could you please try using a few commas and full stops in your sentences?
    I think what you're trying to say makes sense, but honest to jayzus, it really hurts the eyes trying to keep up with what you're typing... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

triple-M wrote: »
    me smells another pintless English v Irish argument stirring up

PINTLESS!!!!!! Now its getting serious, messing with a mans pint is gonna end in smacks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

just close the thread and sign up 4 the queen pal
    ya have to pass training first

superref wrote: »
    just close the thread and sign up 4 the queen pal
    ya have to pass training first

i aint ur pal an iv asked for it to be closed still waitin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

The irish army is mickey mouse. Forget it. I can see why your bitter. Its just like evrything else in Ireland.

paky wrote: »
    The irish army is mickey mouse. Forget it. I can see why your bitter. Its just like evrything else in Ireland.

my thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Oh your real men picking at the irish army because they rejected you for being an idiot when you were younger! :rolleyes:

You found an alternative so move on and get on with it!

notin got to do with been rejected smart ar.se there a lazy shower a shi.ts, once again what war have they or will they ever be in,
    the state of our army every one knows we must have one of the worst armys in the world, if we got attacked we wouldn be able to defend ourselves.
    i want to join an army to go out and fight not sit on my hole eatin breakfast rolls all day. the one bit of excitement they get is when someone puts a hoax bomb out.
    i know people in it that have regretted ever signing up its rubbish and im glad i didin get in biggest waste of time ever and have a way better opportunity now and couldn care less what people think
    ill see the world while ya's all sit in this hell hole of a country on the dole with no jobs listing to the fat man cause things arent getting any better here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Jeez some people just cant take rejection >.> from what i see in this thread so far its gone from why cant i get into the army to help keep the peace, ive only got a few breaching the peace convictions, then you verbally belittle the army that rejected you. All done with very little grammar and a fair whack of text speak while getting defensive when people make valid, well written points.

Now most people i know would agree that if it came down to choosing someone with no convictions and choosing someone with convictions, they would choose the person without convictions. You may have cleaned up your act since then but still, you did it, you got the convictions for things you did of your own volition. Most people i know, and im guessing the majority of this forum, would prefer 'joe bloggs' with his clean sheet over someone with convictions.

Anyway back on topic with the post before the last one, you found another place, be happy, get on with it and dont be bitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement