Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eCommerce - Whats The Skinny

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Can people who have set up and ran an eCommerce store here in Ireland give me their stories.

Whats it like? How did things go at first? How much stock did you buy?

Was it a success?

I'll be starting my own quite soon - currently in the planning stage as well as procuring some finance.

Any feedback, suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated. ;)

- D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A company I was a Financial Controller of had an e-commerce site which did very nicely.

We didn't sell exclusively via the website so not directly comparable with yourself, but a couple of tips...

Allow people to leave feedback/contact and arrange for the all important credit card purchasing facility. Give thought as to the best way to distribute your product to your customers.

There's a company I'd recommend for website work if interested.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ronan007

I am in the process of launching one. What type of product are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Ronan007 wrote: »
    I am in the process of launching one. What type of product are you thinking of?

My niche will be unique fittness and mens lifestyle products. It will have some ordinary stuff such as gluecose etc... as well as stuff to appeal to the boy in all men like nifty survival gadgets that fit in your wallet etc... kind of like the Play.com of fittness and off beat manly gadgets :p

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Hi Dean,

Those questions are pretty Vague. Whatever you put into it you'll get out really.

Make sure you put in the leg work before the site launches, do you research and homework. E-commerce really isn't about taking risks and there is an awful lot of information available online, especially in your field.

There's lots of great Irish success stories in e-commerce at the moment and it's a fantastic industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dakor

"Build it and they will come"

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Building an e-commerce website is just one part of the equation, you will need to put a lot of thought into how you are going to market your website after it's built. You should also think about SEO for your website. Ensure that you will have full control over the website once its built so that you can add more webpages and make changes to content. That way, you can optimise the website yourself for search engine findability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Fukuyama wrote: »
    Can people who have set up and ran an eCommerce store here in Ireland give me their stories.

Whats it like? How did things go at first? How much stock did you buy?

Was it a success?

I'll be starting my own quite soon - currently in the planning stage as well as procuring some finance.

Any feedback, suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated. ;)

- D
    I am not sure if this thread took off in the way you intended but I am interested, and I am sure others would be too, to understand how you progressed with this. Could you share the highs/lows of success, greatest learnings and what would be the one advice you would give yourself if you could send it back in time.
    Cheers Cart man

Advertisement