Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Reid to Celtic

• 18-05-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

Good move for all if it comes off
    Celtic close in on signing of Steven Reid

Republic of Ireland midfielder Steven Reid could be Celtic's first summer signing despite the Glasgow side still being without a new manager.
    The 29-year-old has been in talks with the Scottish Premier League club after being freed by Blackburn Rovers.
    But no deal will be done until after Celtic return from Germany, where they are playing St Pauli in a friendly match on Tuesday evening.
    Reid had spells on loan to Championship sides West Brom and QPR this season.
    He made only two appearances for QPR during his month with the London club.
    But he played 10 times for West Brom after moving to the Hawthorns in April, helping the Midlands outfit finish second and win promotion to the Barclays Premier League.
    West Brom had reportedly been keen to retain his services once he became a free agent, but Celtic caretaker manager Neil Lennon now appears to be leading the chase for his signature.
    London-born Reid had joined Blackburn from Millwall for £2.5m in 2003, but injury problems ruled him out of much of the 2006-07 season and the whole of 2008-09.
    He was unable to force himself into Sam Allardyce's first team on a regular basis this season and could now look to resurrect his career in Scotland's top flight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8689935.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not sure if I would rather him playing for Celtic in the SPL or West Brom in the Premiership from an Irish point of view, but really, I just hope wherever he stays fit and plays regularily because he can still do a job for the national team. Always liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Trap seems to have totally forgotten about him. Playing right back for West Brom, if he can stay fit he'd be class to have back in centre mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I am very surprised at the Celtic link, heard it this morning. I was sure that West Brom was very likely. I hope wherever he ends up that his fortunes take a turn for the better. He had an awful rough time over the last couple of years with injury. A guy I know who works for Blackburn told me that he is one of the hardest workers you will ever come across, always in the gym even when injured working on other parts of his body. He is a really down to earth guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not sure if I would rather him playing for Celtic in the SPL or West Brom in the Premiership from an Irish point of view, but really, I just hope wherever he stays fit and plays regularily because he can still do a job for the national team. Always liked him.

Agree with you on this.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

He's clearly not up to the riguors of English football. His body is creaking, sadly.

Shame as when fit he was class...

• Advertisement

He's clearly not up to the riguors of English football. His body is creaking, sadly.

Shame as when fit he was class...
    He had two horrific injuries, he was never the type that was out every couple of weeks with knocks/niggles.

A lot of guys wouldn't have made it back from a second really bad injury like this.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

eagle eye wrote: »
    He had two horrific injuries, he was never the type that was out every couple of weeks with knocks/niggles.

A lot of guys wouldn't have made it back from a second really bad injury like this.

Can't disagree with you there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Always liked him as a player and from what I hear he is a nice hard working guy to boot

His injuries are such a shame though as I always thought he had the potential to be class

Wherever he ends up I just hope he gets to play some football at a decent level, he deserves a good injury free run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments that all I want for him is regular football. It's important to note that he's still only 29. I always thought he was an excellent player and model professional and would love to have him back in the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But those two injuries have left him open to knocks/niggles much like Ronaldo. He has very rarely had a regular run of games since the 2002 world cup. Which is a shame as he had the talent to be a top player. United were linked with him before and if it was not for injuries I think he would have moved to a Champions League club at some stage.

Hopefully the SPL suits his body and he gets a consistent run of games. Would be a great move all round I think. A shame to call time on his Premiership days, but I don't think he can withstand regular English football anymore.

• Advertisement

But those two injuries have left him open to knocks/niggles much like Ronaldo. He has very rarely had a regular run of games since the 2002 world cup. Which is a shame as he had the talent to be a top player. United were linked with him before and if it was not for injuries I think he would have moved to a Champions League club at some stage.

Hopefully the SPL suits his body and he gets a consistent run of games. Would be a great move all round I think. A shame to call time on his Premiership days, but I don't think he can withstand regular English football anymore.
    He only joined Blackburn in 03/04 and only became a regular starter during the 04/05 season when Hughes moved him to the midfield holding role. He played a ton of games that year and then the whole 05/06 season, then he got that back injury and done his cruciate. He came back the next year and again was big part of the Rovers team that finished 7th but then got the second cruciate problem after that.

The injuries he has had are very bad ones but they are not the type that leaves you in a position that you will have strains and niggles afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The injuries he has had are very bad ones but they are not the type that leaves you in a position that you will have strains and niggles afterwards.

The problem with the injuries Reid had was that they ruled him out for a very long time, back and knee trouble invariably mean you can do very little training while recouperating. Then when you do come back other injuries such as hamstrings and calf strains appear because they have not been used in such a long time. This did happen Reid and he suffered set backs with other injuries while trying to recover from his originals.

When Reid did play for Blackburn he was a great player, and without his big injuries his career could have been so much different.

I hope like many others that he can get an injury free run, i hope the move to Celtic comes trhough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

He'd be awesome in centre midfiled for Celtic. It'd be a great signing.

Steven Reid will join West Bromwich Albion on the 1st July when his Blackburn Rovers contract officially ends.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Have alot of time for both reid and WBA think it's great move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i perfer to see him playing in the EPL...from a Rep. Ireland persepective. Hope he can make his way back into Ireland squad and the central midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

i perfer to see him playing in the EPL...from a Rep. Ireland persepective. Hope he can make his way back into Ireland squad and the central midfield role.

Yeah I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him there. I'd have him in ahead of Andrews or Whelan to be honest, although Whelan does have some good footballing ability if he's allowed to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

mayordenis wrote: »
    Have alot of time for both reid and WBA think it's great move.

I agree, imo, Celtic would have been a step backward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Delighted he signed for the Baggies rather than Celtic.
    When fit he is a quality player, and deserves to be playing in Premier league.
    If he stays injury free, then WBA have made a great signing in Reid.

Still Irelands best central midfielder, he would be my 1st pick if fit, would play him along with Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Stevecw wrote: »
    Delighted he signed for the Baggies rather than Celtic.
    When fit he is a quality player, and deserves to be playing in Premier league.
    If he stays injury free, then WBA have made a great signing in Reid.

Still Irelands best central midfielder, he would be my 1st pick if fit, would play him along with Whelan.
    + 1 on that

Very important he's playing in the Premier League, and in a good footballing side like West Brom. He can hopefully stay fully fit and injury free, he's going to be vital for both club and country in the coming year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement