Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Origin 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

toomevara wrote: »
    +1....one of the few outstanding boxes I need to tick on my "sporting events to attend before I pop me clogs" list....

Have a (now former) mate in a corporate box for the Suncorp test.

It has to be the biggest rugby match/series in the world...?

Back on the rugby, would anyone make any changes to the sides that played yesterday?

I think the Blues should look at an out-and-out stand off a la Jamie Soward or Brett Finch. Maybe even using Gidley at 6 and Hayne at fb. I;d have Lyon at the centre with Idris on the wing. Not much to lose by popping Idris in and seeing how he goes. Kimmorley seemed quite good at 7, defensively looked very good to me

The maroon's will put Smith in at hooker if he's fit. Otherwise it's not far from being the perfect rugby league team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Went to this as a relative newbie but appreciative to league. Were up in the nosebleeds and it was great cos it showed how structured a lot of the offence was - you don't see that on TV. AS for Idris, yeah, as soon as he came on Queensland stayed on opposite side of the pitch until they let go the odd time, usually try scoring. I think he's got real talent though. Some great hits but game was a bit of an anticlimax, enjoyed it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

This is the stuff that's always wrecked my head as an Australian living abroad :mad:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/tahu-walks-out-on-blues-after-offensive-comments-from-andrew-johns-20100612-y47j.html

and some pretty decent editorial:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/indigenous-players-its-time-to-take-a-stand-back-timana-and-boycott-origin-20100612-y4xg.html

<rant>
    Every time I go back to Oz it just stumps me how racist Australians are to pretty much anyone who's not white Australian and that little has changed since whitey showed up.
    </rant>
    :) *sighs* oh well, back to another rare NH sunny day in advance of having to sit through more round ball world cup hokem :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

old gregg wrote: »
    This is the stuff that's always wrecked my head as an Australian living abroad :mad:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/tahu-walks-out-on-blues-after-offensive-comments-from-andrew-johns-20100612-y47j.html

and some pretty decent editorial:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/indigenous-players-its-time-to-take-a-stand-back-timana-and-boycott-origin-20100612-y4xg.html

<rant>
    Every time I go back to Oz it just stumps me how racist Australians are to pretty much anyone who's not white Australian and that little has changed since whitey showed up.
    </rant>
    :) *sighs* oh well, back to another rare NH sunny day in advance of having to sit through more round ball world cup hokem :p

Is it racist of me to suggest that Aussies generally seem to be the most racist ****ers around? One of the funniest (or saddest) things I've ever heard was in London in a hostel, and there was an aussie chick going on and on about Aborigines. I just said I didn't believe they/the situation was as bad as she said, then she started about how they can't be knocked out with a bottle because there skulls are so thick and that up til 30 years ago scientists said they weren't humans.
    I just walked away.

Hope something is done about what's happened, but I'd be surprised.

well, I'm an Aussie and I reckon that the Aussies are the most racist nation of people that I've ever encountered. I love the country with a passion but that aspect of society has always been a problem for me.

In 2008 I was over for the footy and to do some recording stuff and sat with a group of people one night and one of them started telling Irish jokes just cos I was over from Ireland and he thought I might find it funny. He got to the end of the first joke and I told him he was embarrassing himself and his nation. I then told the joke about the swearing parrot just to diffuse things :D

• Advertisement

well, I'm an Aussie and I reckon that the Aussies are the most racist nation of people that I've ever encountered. I love the country with a passion but that aspect of society has always been a problem for me.

In 2008 I was over for the footy and to do some recording stuff and sat with a group of people one night and one of them started telling Irish jokes just cos I was over from Ireland and he thought I might find it funny. He got to the end of the first joke and I told him he was embarrassing himself and his nation. I then told the joke about the swearing parrot just to diffuse things :D
    Did you point out that he probably came from not just Irish people, but Irish people who were stupid enough to get caught for a crime? :pac:
    It annoys me as well, when I see sports in Australia on telly it just looks like the most awesome place in the world, but then I meet some Aussies around and I want to punch them. I'd've thought as well that the ones passing through the UK and Ireland for a few weeks or months would've been the more enlightened Aussies but it doesn't seem to be the case.

ah man it is an awesome place and you get to do things like watch your footy in the sunshine which I truly love, but yea, I sometimes want to hit some of them when I hear just how 'normal' and everyday racism is.

Like, when you hear what Andrew Johns said and thought at the time it was OK:
    http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/59030/joey-remarks-forced-tahu-walk-out-on-nsw/default.aspx
    it probably never even occurred to him that he'd just insulted a large number of non-white fellow players. That's the saddest part for me, it was just so normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

Game II time =D. We're going to make it 5 in a row this Wednesday.

ah man it is an awesome place and you get to do things like watch your footy in the sunshine which I truly love, but yea, I sometimes want to hit some of them when I hear just how 'normal' and everyday racism is.

Like, when you hear what Andrew Johns said and thought at the time it was OK:
    http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/59030/joey-remarks-forced-tahu-walk-out-on-nsw/default.aspx
    it probably never even occurred to him that he'd just insulted a large number of non-white fellow players. That's the saddest part for me, it was just so normal.

Doesn't the fact that Andrew Johns had to resign over this incident tell you something about the acceptability of racism in Australia?

Mary O'Rourke still has her job after commenting publicly that her campaigners 'worked like blacks'. And she's not just some idiot sports personality, she's a politician!

Until a couple of years ago the Gardai didn't even accept "non-nationals" into their ranks. And if you really want to talk about racism, what about the apalling way most Irish people treat members of the travelling community?

You're talking about people in Australia saying racially insensitive things. In Ireland we have a situation where some people can't get served in pubs and restaurants because of their ethnicity.

I have a chinese friend who booked a cottage in the north for a weekend and he was turned away when he got there. Failing that he called 3 other places who were happy to take his booking until he arrived and they saw that he was chinese.

I've been refused service in a Barber shop in Dun Laoghaire because the owner 'doesn't like Australians'. As for the 'Irish Joke' anecdote, in Ireland, Australian jokes go further than some idiot recounting one in a pub somewhere. The Australian accent is often mocked on Irish radio. I don't find it any more offensive than south park or the Simpsons doing the same thing.

We can relay anecdotal evidence all day but if you want to see a true comparison of racist attitudes here is a study conducted jointly between University of Queensland and University of Ulster...
    http://news.ulster.ac.uk/podcasts/Bigotry.pdf

Scroll down to page 26.

When asked if they'd have a problem with having a neighbour of a different race to themselves, 4.6% of Australians answered yes. This compares to 12.3% in Ireland and 11.1% in Northern Ireland.

Australia is often scapegoated as being a racist country, but the fact of the matter is that Ireland has a much bigger problem when it comes to bigotry and racism.

I won't be happy until those numbers fall to 0%, but at the same time, the accusation of Australia being a particularly racist country is not in any way deserved.

Aye, those race riots we had a few years ago were terrible.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Aye, those race riots we had a few years ago were terrible.

So were the Love Ulster riots.

So were the Love Ulster riots.

Touché salesman. :pac:

Bring on tomorrow's game anyway! Qld at home. I have a feeling we're going to make it 5 in a row.

Bring on tomorrow's game anyway! Qld at home. I have a feeling we're going to make it 5 in a row.
    I reckon you'll be right. As a Sydney boy who's fallen in love with Queensland in recent years I'll be hoping for a Qld win myself.

I reckon you'll be right. As a Sydney boy who's fallen in love with Queensland in recent years I'll be hoping for a Qld win myself.

When you fall in love with them, about 3 years ago? :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    When you fall in love with them, about 3 years ago? :pac:
    as for the footy, the Qld jerseys just look better :pac:
    as for Queensland itself, it's heaven

Every time I start to feel sorry for NSW I just think back to the history.

1925: Qld beats NSW and the Great Britain kangaroo tour cancelled rather than field an Australian team dominated by Queenslanders.

Pre-1980: NSW buying Qld players with poker machine money, which was unatainable by Qld clubs due to state laws, and forcing them to play for NSW.

1980s: 1980 & 1981 games excluded from series statistics

1999: Rules re-interpreted to exclude Drawn series being counted as a Qld win, despite the rules clearly stating that the previous winner retains the title... and despite everyone, including the commentators, treating the series like a Qld win at the end of game III.

2003: 1987 exhibition match reclassified as an official match so that NSW could claim to hit the lead in overall game wins!

2010: Attempts currently are being made to change the rules so that a Qld player can be prevented from playing in game 3.

There are many other controversies but these don't include complaining about poor ref decisions.

Today we make it 5 in a row, it could be 10 in a row and these bastards still wouldn't get any sympathy from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭mountain

As i have for the past 20 years, i will be shouting for queensland today, lived in sydney back in the late 1980s, supported Queensland to annoy the NSW people i worked with, but mostly cos being Irish could associate with the queenland spirit, rather than the smugness of NSW...

When they pull on a maron jersey they grow an extra leg....

INGLIS!

QLD 4-0 :D:D:D

mountain wrote: »
    As i have for the past 20 years, i will be shouting for queensland today, lived in sydney back in the late 1980s, supported Queensland to annoy the NSW people i worked with, but mostly cos being Irish could associate with the queenland spirit, rather than the smugness of NSW...

When they pull on a maron jersey they grow an extra leg....

I know what you mean. It's why I have to support Munster if they're playing Leinster, despite the fact that I live in Dublin.

QLD 10-0 :D

• Advertisement

10 - 0 after 13 mins, this could become a thumping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭mountain

Every time I start to feel sorry for NSW I just think back to the history.

1925: Qld beats NSW and the Great Britain kangaroo tour cancelled rather than field an Australian team dominated by Queenslanders.

Pre-1980: NSW buying Qld players with poker machine money, which was unatainable by Qld clubs due to state laws, and forcing them to play for NSW.

1980s: 1980 & 1981 games excluded from series statistics

1999: Rules re-interpreted to exclude Drawn series being counted as a Qld win, despite the rules clearly stating that the previous winner retains the title... and despite everyone, including the commentators, treating the series like a Qld win at the end of game III.

2003: 1987 exhibition match reclassified as an official match so that NSW could claim to hit the lead in overall game wins!

2010: Attempts currently are being made to change the rules so that a Qld player can be prevented from playing in game 3.

There are many other controversies but these don't include complaining about poor ref decisions.

Today we make it 5 in a row, it could be 10 in a row and these bastards still wouldn't get any sympathy from me!

Wally Lewis being booed at the SCG when he ran out as captain of Australia

Wow. This is getting ugly.

QLD 16-0 :D

QLD 16-0 :D
    :D

22-0 This is a complete Masacre

but wait, there's more :D

28-0. Biggest margin in history is 30 points.

34-0 :eek:

• Advertisement

34-4. 30 point margin equal to the biggest margin of all time and the first time any team has won 5 series in a row.

I'll be off now to find some blues supporters :D:D:D

Advertisement