Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C+C my PP effort

• 18-05-2010 3:29pm

Hey guys.

Just looking to get your thoughts on the following PP effort. I was just messing around randomly with this photo, when I started playing with the curves to see if I could do anything with it.

I ended up with this;

img9193pp2.jpg

What do ye guys think? Personally, I think I like it. I don't care much for the white outlines around some of the stuff, but overall I like it. It seems a bit grim or gloomy or something to me, but I'm looking for other opinions.

From the camera:

img9193.jpg

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I like it.
    It's really nice, except for the sky and background. You could try with applying it to only the ambulance, and then give the background a tweak independently. Might be worth a go.

Will you be telling us whatcha did? Wouldn't mind giving it a go myself!

Is there a high pass filter on it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I had a long reply written but having just read it back it sounds a little insulting to you so I've deleted it.

The basic jist of it was that I don't like it! A bad photo is a bad photo and all the PP'img in the world won't "fix" or improve it. Look for a better composition and light next time before pressing the shutter button.

I hope this isn't insulting to you :)

Honestly, all I did was bump up the contrast, the saturation (ever so slightly, by 10 a go) and then messed about with the curves. I did it in Paint.net, though. Not Photoshop or the likes.

Edit: Ballyman, not insulting at all. To be honest, I like the photo. Different strokes, and all that I suppose. I was struggling to think of what to do with photographing an Ambulance. You can't really get too creative with a stationery ambulance (or I couldn't, anyway).

I realise there's a bin and fencing, etc. in the background on the original photo, but my thought was to originally keep them in there, to try and PP the photo to make the ambulance look a little more unpleasant or grim. Didn't turn out how I'd planned, but that's why I posted this thread. :)

To be honest, I like the photo. Different strokes, and all that I suppose.

Thats all that matters really.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Thats all that matters really.

Fair point, but it's still nice to get other people's opinions. It's more the PP rather than the photo itself I was looking for thoughts on, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I wouldn't be gone on it at all. You have to be subtle with curves, there are certain ways to use it or you can get bizarre results like above (sorry).

You should have a look for a video tutorial on curves maybe, and stick to a simple S curve for increasing contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

If I was threatened by death and had to pick B or A, I would go for B, but again there is much wrong with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I really don't like it, it seems like somebody new to photoshop has found two/three images and tried to hack them together. Then they found a few sliders and went crazy.

Different strokes though :)

there is much wrong with both.

Any recommendations then, to make a similar photo better? Keeping in mind, I couldn't move or interfere with the ambulance.

:)

Any recommendations then, to make a similar photo better? Keeping in mind, I couldn't move or interfere with the ambulance.

To be honest if it was me I wouldn't have taken it in the first place. There is nothing of interest photographically IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Out the door at the moment mate, off to photograph something that you may need your ambulance for. :D

daycent wrote: »
    To be honest if it was me I wouldn't have taken it in the first place. There is nothing of interest photographically IMO.

Well, see at the moment I'm just still getting to grips with the ould DSLR photography lark. Im interested in the Emergency Services and decided that I'd like to have/take photos of their cars, vans, etc.

At the moment I'm not trying to be overly 'artistic' or anything. I'm more taking the photos to present what the vehicles actually, factually, look like. Getting photos of the little details and the likes.

This photo (though i admit, didnt come out how I'd hoped) was just something I messed about with in paint and liked how it came out after messing with the curves a bit.

To be honest, I'd like to take some landscape shots and other such photos and stuff (anything really), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere or anything worthwhile photographing in this town (Drogheda). Scotch Hall at night. The Port. Everything else "noteworthy" is just a crappy old building. And they wonder why they can't get tourists into the town.

Apologies.. I think i just turned that into a bit of a rant :o

Do you drive?
    You have the mournes, lakes, rivers, boyne bridge all on your doorstep.

Nothing wrong with taking pics of the ambulances etc. either. Try and take pics of them with curved areas, macro stuff, the lines on the side, use wide angle lenses, wait till dusk and get a beautiful orange glow on the ambulace, use lights or reflectors, go inside if you can and do internals etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think there's potential in the shot. It's not processed anything like I'd do with it though. I'd have taken all yellow out, and made the sky more dramatic ... or something.

The first thing I noticed though, was the bad crop. You should have taken out all of the licence plate, it's distracting, that wee bit left in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

KKv try this trick for deciding what picture to take "Think outside the Box" Think under the ambulance, along the sides, macro of front sign, macro of exaust.
    Something that your Mother would not do.
    Try getting on the roof of the ambulance. (don't get caught )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ok, I think the general consensus is that the composition isn't great to start with. If you are just looking for C&C on your pp'ing skills then that's a different kettle of fish and I'm even less experienced at that than I am at photography. PP is a minefield of differing opinions - basically if you like it then that's the main thing, almost everyone will have a different view on it.

As the IT-Nazi's in my work have blocked certain sites I can't see you pp'd version so I won't comment on it yet, however I can see you original so I'll chime in on that :)

I'm not entirely sure what you were going for here - and to be honest I'm not sure you were either. Looking at it a number of things jump out at me;

In general the framing isn't great. The top of the Ambulance is cut off. It would have benefited a lot from getting some of the side of the van in rather than having the skip in view. Similarly the wheel is truncated too and I would have tried to get the whole "ambulance" lettering in...

It looks over exposed - (again I haven't seen you pp version so maybe you've fixed this).

You could have maybe played about with the dof to highlight an area of particular interest - perhaps a decal along the side etc...

The white balance looks off too - what time of day did you shoot this at? Maybe try getting down there at sunrise/sunset for some more dramatic lighting - or bring a torch and tripod and play around with painting the van with light...

On the plus side you got down low, tried out a different angle for you shot - rather than just snapping it from eye level - this shows that you are thinking outside the box. Keep playing around with it though, it might take you a while to figure out what you are looking for in this shot (or you might just get lucky).

Before you go down again though I'd start with asking yourself what you are looking for from the shot. Have a look around on other websites for pictures of cars/van etc to see the different angles and types of shots that work and see if any of them tickle your fancy. Then make a note of the settings (if they give them) angle of shot and the lighting etc and see if you can produce something similar.

just my 2c's :)

milos wrote: »
    KKv try this trick for deciding what picture to take "Think outside the Box" Think under the ambulance, along the sides, macro of front sign, macro of exaust.
    Something that your Mother would not do.
    Try getting on the roof of the ambulance. (don't get caught )

I've done a few close-ups and isolating different parts etc.

Here's a few photos I took yesterday;

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424268&page=45

So I see what you're saying about taking small parts of the ambulance, etc. and doing stuff with it, but I wanted to try and get a shot looking up towards the ambulance, but not straight in the middle of the front of it.

I agree with the earler comment about the license plate though. I'll remove that or blacken it out.

To Ballyman, I don't drive (though I must learn some day). I've been around Drogheda town at all hours and I'm finished with it. I was gonna take a stroll out to the Cable bridge some night, but im on my own and not entirely sure how to get to it at eye level (i know how to get under it, but for photographing it, although you could probably get an OK picture or two, I'd rather get at eye level or above a bridge). On top of that the area has a scumbag-ish element to it.

Aside from that though, I don't know where these mournes, lakes or rivers are. I know the Boyne alright, but other than a few shots of a trolley or two floating around for a laugh, I think I'd struggle to get a decent photo of it anywhere surrounding me.

I must head off into dublin some night or something.

I can't think of anything to do after I finish up with emergency services though. I might get into more debt and catch a train or bus to the south west of Ireland for a weekend or something. Spend all the time with my camera, but then when I come back I'm still a bit stuck. And that'd cost money :(

I think something to remember is that you're not always going to come away from a shoot with something good. When I'm out and about looking for landscape opportunities more often than not the camera doesn't come out of the bag at all. If I don't see something with potential I usually don't bother.

That said, you should be able to get something at least interesting from most locations if you try hard enough. As milos says, think about different focal lengths, different viewpoints, long exposures, close-up abstracts etc.

daycent wrote: »
    When I'm out and about looking for landscape opportunities more often than not the camera doesn't come out of the bag at all. If I don't see something with potential I usually don't bother.

Same here. 90% of the time I leave the house, the camera bag comes with. Often come back with nowt. But I know when I don't bring it, I'll see something interesting.

I only take it out, as you say, when there is at least something of interest to me. I don't just shoot for the sake of it. But I think the OP in this instance went out with the intention of taking these shots? Probably should have gotten something more dramatic.

Probably should have gotten something more dramatic.

Could you (or anyone) perhaps elaborate on that?

That photograph is obviosly not the only one I've taken (my Pix has a few in my signature) but when I'm actually standing in front of an ambulance, Garda car or the likes, I cover the basic 4-sides in a snapshot manner, and then I've tried for close ups of the detailing, lightbars, etc. that decorate such cars.

Struggling to think of how to get a "dramatic" shot. Though of course, I'd love to.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

There's no one defining way to get a "dramatic" shot but there are techniques you can use - and pp will help but you really do need to compose your shot correctly first - as I said you are on the right track with the low angle, just getting a different perspective on things - you could try and higher angle either for example (do you have a step ladder?).

Anyway, have a look here - there are plenty of dramatic shots that you can take pointers from

Could you (or anyone) perhaps elaborate on that?

Blood on the bonnet? :D - For me the sky could be more intense, the yellow makes it a bit ... I dunno ... it doesn't work well.

Something like this: ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Well, see at the moment I'm just still getting to grips with the ould DSLR photography lark. Im interested in the Emergency Services and decided that I'd like to have/take photos of their cars, vans, etc.

At the moment I'm not trying to be overly 'artistic' or anything. I'm more taking the photos to present what the vehicles actually, factually, look like. Getting photos of the little details and the likes.

This photo (though i admit, didnt come out how I'd hoped) was just something I messed about with in paint and liked how it came out after messing with the curves a bit.

To be honest, I'd like to take some landscape shots and other such photos and stuff (anything really), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere or anything worthwhile photographing in this town (Drogheda). Scotch Hall at night. The Port. Everything else "noteworthy" is just a crappy old building. And they wonder why they can't get tourists into the town.

Apologies.. I think i just turned that into a bit of a rant :o

The bridge beside scotch hall looks amazing at sunrise or sunset. Might be worth a go :)

The De Lacy one? Didn't think it'd see much in the way of a sunrise, but I'll try my luck with it. Don't think I'd be assed trying a sunset though. Place is too busy and too cramped as it is without me and my tripod.

Cheers for that tip, I'll take a mooch down sometime next week most likely (weather permitting) and chance my arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

The De Lacy one? Didn't think it'd see much in the way of a sunrise, but I'll try my luck with it. Don't think I'd be assed trying a sunset though. Place is too busy and too cramped as it is without me and my tripod.

Cheers for that tip, I'll take a mooch down sometime next week most likely (weather permitting) and chance my arm.

I think Swingking mean the Via-duct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The viaduct yes. Sorry

Ah, that'd make more sense alright. May head down on Sunday night/Monday morning and chance my arm.

Advertisement