Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carprofen, rimadyl, canidryl

Options
  • 18-05-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Just wondering about the above anti in flammatory drugs. all the same drug just different names.

My beloved neo mastiff died two weeks ago after taking these. We brought him to the vets with a sore knee from playing. He was prescribed the above and we noticed after two days he was very tired looking, not eating and that his eyes had gone froma blood red to a pale white. Also the inside of his gums were white. Then he pee,d blood.
    Brought him back to the vet and was told he had a tumor. Was operated on but bled out after the operation. :(

I know nothing will bring him back but i was doing research on these drugs as i found it very strange that the dog was so healthy and happy even after the sore knee, and then to go take a complete turn with no warning signs.
    There seems to be a lot of issues with similar problems on these drugs, even in the us a class action lawsuit is being prepared against the drug manufacturer.
    I suppose i am wondering if anyone has experience or even just to warn people be very careful what you give your animals....i feel now as if i have killed my dog as i never researched the drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but it sounds like the dog was very ill from the tumour and not from the drugs he had been given to treat the sore knee.

Dogs that have tumours sometime dont show signs/symptoms until its so far gone that nothing can be done and it can happen over the space of a couple of days even less so i would imagine that was the cause and not the drugs he was given.

Ive never heard of any dogs dying as a result of been given these treatments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Really sorry to hear about your dog, its very tough losing our beloved pets.

I've had dogs on rimadyl for prolonged periods of time and not had any problems. I'm sorry, but I think the dog probably already had the tumour. That is very fast, but I lost a dog 2 years ago, he just had a red eye, took him to the vets thinking it was an allergy, within 4 weeks he had died of lymphoma.

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sorry to hear that OP, but Rimadyl or its generic versions wouldnt have caused his death in that short amount of time,if at all. Rimadyl (carprofen) "can" have side effects (kidney and liver problems) after prolonged use. But it sounds like your dog had some form of cancer that was ongoing well before those drugs were administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

So sorry to hear about your loss.
    All drugs have side effects but carprofen is widely used without problems. I know I've read about lawsuits in the states too, but as they'll sue for any reason over there I'm not really convinced there's a problem. Some animals can be predisposed to having a problem with carprofen (ie kidney issues), and although your dog may have reacted adversely it's hard to know if it's from the drug or from the tumour. In most cases, adverse effects from the drug come after prolonged use. Unfortunately tumours can be there for a while and not cause a problem and then suddenly create a lot of clinical signs.
    Did you have a post mortem done?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corkthai

no post mortem done, thanks for the advice + responses..

• Advertisement
Advertisement