Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

afraid of getting lost mid Guinness record attempt

Options
  • 18-05-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Derry on Friday morning at the start of an attempt to set a Guinness World record for running from Malin Head to Mizen Head. It's about 550 km in total so the last thing I want to do is get lost and add extra distance to the trip. most of the time I'll have a crew in a camper van supporting (details on the blogspot) but it would be really useful to have a local support runner/cyclist/rollerblader/.... to lead me through Derry in the shortest distance possible so I came on here to beg for your support and suggestions.

Apart from the possibility of getting lost in Derry, one of the requirements from Guinness is that we get witnesses to authenticate the run at various points along the route. If you happen to be anywhere along the route on Friday (approximate times below) it would be really great if you could come out and say hi.

Thanks

route
    Friday 21st May
    5:45 Malin head
    7am Carndonagh
    8:30am bypass Quigleys Head
    9:30am - Muf (entering NI)
    9:45 entering Derry
    10:15 crossing bridge in Derry
    1:15 entering Strabane
    3pm bypass Omagh
    6:30 entering Enniskillen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You cant really go wrong here. After you cross the border at Muff you are on the A2 and its a straight run right through from Muff to the Craigavon bridge. A couple of roundabouts to negotiate alright but its straight through all the way.

When you cross the bridge you turn right and you are then on the A5 which runs straight the whole way to Omagh.

The only little awkward spot is when you are coming to the end of the Craigavon bridge. Its a 2 level bridge and you will be running along the bottom level. There is a mini roundabout at the end and you will have to ensure that you get over to the right hand side (from memory there's no footpath on that side) as you will be running up a steep incline and then turning right on to the A5

The best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Good Luck Hunny

You have a long day 1, I will try and support you at the bridge

Are you looking to raise money for a good cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Winty, that would be absolutely fantastic if you could.

I'm doing it for the carers association and hope to raise €700000 (thats an euro for every 1 steps along the way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

muffler wrote: »
    The only little awkward spot is when you are coming to the end of the Foyle bridge. Its a 2 level bridge and you will be running along the bottom level.
    Sorry Muffler but you're going to get him lost for sure. It's Craigavon bridge that has 2 decks.

deman wrote: »
    Sorry Muffler but you're going to get him lost for sure. It's Craigavon bridge that has 2 decks.
    Doh! :o

I always get mixed up in the names of those 2 bridges. It was grand for years until they built the second one. I'll edit my post now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

deman wrote: »
    :D

Wait until the new pedestrian bridge is finished. Muffler will bo totally baffled then.

smashey wrote: »
    :D

Wait until the new pedestrian bridge is finished. Muffler will bo totally baffled then.
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peterdoherty

Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Derry on Friday morning at the start of an attempt to set a Guinness World record for running from Malin Head to Mizen Head. It's about 550 km in total so the last thing I want to do is get lost and add extra distance to the trip. most of the time I'll have a crew in a camper van supporting (details on the blogspot) but it would be really useful to have a local support runner/cyclist/rollerblader/.... to lead me through Derry in the shortest distance possible so I came on here to beg for your support and suggestions.

Apart from the possibility of getting lost in Derry, one of the requirements from Guinness is that we get witnesses to authenticate the run at various points along the route. If you happen to be anywhere along the route on Friday (approximate times below) it would be really great if you could come out and say hi.

Thanks

route
    Friday 21st May
    5:45 Malin head
    7am Carndonagh
    8:30am bypass Quigleys Head
    9:30am - Muf (entering NI)
    9:45 entering Derry
    10:15 crossing bridge in Derry
    1:15 entering Strabane
    3pm bypass Omagh
    6:30 entering Enniskillen

or just virtually walk the route using google streetview!

it is seriously just one stragiht road though and a couple of roundabout but you may be best running up the riverbank from maccy d's right up to the craigavon bridge - nice walkway

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Unfortunately you can't use the lower deck at the minute, that path is closed for work by the Water Service- you will have to use the top deck.:)

Advertisement