Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribe Nightclub Stillorgan - what happened?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know why Tribe got shut down? It seemed to be VERY abrupt, no warning whatsoever, they had a big list of events planned for May and even the official "Summer Sessions" promotion got caught off guard, having to hastily change its lineup for last Saturday due to the sudden demise of Tribe.

What happened? Why's it gone?
    Please keep your opinions on the venue to yourself in this thread - I don't want a debate about whether it was a good nightclub or a bad one I just want info as to why they had to close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

IS that what was Bondi?

They've always had problem with both drug dealing in the club and under-agers getting in. Could be either of those reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ Yeah it's changed hands twice in the last while, after it was Bondi they turned it into "Burn Beach Club" which lasted until some time around last November (since January '09) and then Tribe opened around this Jan or Feb IIRC. Now Tribe is gone just a few months after opening and there are rumors that the next nightclub there is actually going to be some kind of Hooters Dublin type establishment.

Is that why it keeps changing though? Drug dealing and kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

Would have to agree , They have had there fair of hassle over drugs ,And financial reasons came into it too,

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FionaC

Apparently they didn't pay the rent.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

That place was always on the rocks because apartments were supposedly getting built on that site a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Actually i think the owners Treasury holdings probably rented the place out while they waited to begin building the apartments, to get some cash flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

When Bondi closed down and the original customer base left, it never recovered.

When Burn opened up in it's place, they had a very sloppy couple of months after opening (not accepting credit cards or lasers for weeks, very high admission etc) and the original buzz about it died very fast and it inevitably closed. Also, there was a severe underage problem there.

When Tribe opened up, people had just moved on from the club that was there. It had a strong month opening, but the crowds dwindled very fast and the reputation of a bad club hung over from Burn (wrongly in my opinion) so people never gave it a chance.

One of my friends who works in the alcohol business said that it was losing money extremely fast and they made a decision that unless the club started to make an improvement, it was going to be closed. And so it was.

EDIT: Tribe had a fairly longcontract there as the planning permission for apartments was refused if I'm not mistaken, so the landlords were desperate to just get someone in there, and Tribe spent a LOT of money doing up the club, so the closure was definitely not a planned one.

That's a real shame, to be honest I never really liked Burn much at all, I always felt that the layout was a bit messy and that there was literally no "deaf spot" in the club (most clubs have an area or two where you can actually hear people talking to you, Burn never did). But Tribe was in my view a massive, massive improvement...

I wonder what will happen to it now? Will something else open in its place? I was at a gig in Tribe and it was an INCREDIBLE live venue... :(

That's a real shame, to be honest I never really liked Burn much at all, I always felt that the layout was a bit messy and that there was literally no "deaf spot" in the club (most clubs have an area or two where you can actually hear people talking to you, Burn never did). But Tribe was in my view a massive, massive improvement...

I wonder what will happen to it now? Will something else open in its place? I was at a gig in Tribe and it was an INCREDIBLE live venue... :(

Well on Facebook, I now have a friend called "Hooters Dublin" instead of Tribe on my friendslist. Not sure if this is just someone "buying up a contact list" or is actually a Hooters branch?

EDIT: Oh and Tribe never had a proper smoking area so maybe they were "done" for that (ie, having their smoking section more or less indoors)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Well on Facebook, I now have a friend called "Hooters Dublin" instead of Tribe on my friendslist. Not sure if this is just someone "buying up a contact list" or is actually a Hooters branch?

EDIT: Oh and Tribe never had a proper smoking area so maybe they were "done" for that (ie, having their smoking section more or less indoors)

Thats the reason i gathered, the first thing i said when i was in the smoking room was how is this legal

• Advertisement

They probably got fined for that but the place had its day ages ago.

Thats the reason i gathered, the first thing i said when i was in the smoking room was how is this legal

Yeah it was pretty shocking alright how they tried to pass it off as legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I am the only one who already thinks a Hooters in Dublin is going to be massivly disappointing?

I was in one in Switzerland (Bern, I think) and it was a family restaurant. Not my vision of it at all :(:(:(

I am the only one who already thinks a Hooters in Dublin is going to be massivly disappointing?

I was in one in Switzerland (Bern, I think) and it was a family restaurant. Not my vision of it at all :(:(:(

Yeah its gonna be awful I reckon (if the rumours are true, which at the moment are limited to facebook). The ones in America are fantastic, family restaurant but the girls were absolutely stunning. You just don't see the same type of girl over here so it'd just end up being a restaurant, and without the absolutely unreal girls, it'd end being quite generic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah it will be s**te the girls wont have their guns out and will probably be mingers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Show my age here, but bring back the Bull & Bear and Hollywood Nights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Saw a bloke try to jump over the raised couches near the entrance into the bull and bear.

Only leathered his head off the ceiling:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Bondi was fantastic.

It has been nothing since, and never will be. I'm sure whoever currently owns the land, which was bought for future development into apartments, is kicking themselves over the current liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bring back Blakes! :pac:

I was only in Bondi once a few years ago and didnt think much of it to be honest, think I was 23ish at the time and I remember the bouncers asking us if we were sure we wanted to go in, wasn't sure what he meant but when we got into the place it was full of kids! From what I've heard whatever nightclub was there it had always been aimed at the younger crowds i.e. under 21's. I can only think of one or two nightclubs in Dublin aimed at the younger crowds that have lasted more than a few years. Seems to be something fickle about club goers at that age or maybe they just move on elsewhere because going to that club isnt cool anymore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i was there about 4 weeks ago for 3eu drinks. was like old wesley. full of 15/16 year olds.. quite lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

I was speaking with someone the other day who worked there (as waitress/bargirl I guess).

She told me she hadn't been paid in over a month, and when she went to the office, the whole place was trashed. So it sounds like they ran outta money and decided to split before the game was up.

They apparently received a massive fine for the smoking room.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

unknown13 wrote: »
    They apparently received a massive fine for the smoking room.

I gather they must have decided to continue doing business (and not paying their staff) until they had enough money for themselves to do a runner.

salsagal wrote: »
    I gather they must have decided to continue doing business (and not paying their staff) until they had enough money for themselves to do a runner.

As far as I know though, apparently the owners of Tribe were the same owners of Dandelion, or the Tribe owners were part owners of Dandelion, but there was definitely some common factors.

Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I really liked that smoking room.

Damn Fascists :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

As far as I know though, apparently the owners of Tribe were the same owners of Dandelion, or the Tribe owners were part owners of Dandelion, but there was definitely some common factors.

Very strange.

that is correct... the owners and managers could be very different now, i'd be wary bout accusations towards either

Hold on a second, are you saying the Dandelion has been closed down as well???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Hold on a second, are you saying the Dandelion has been closed down as well???

Nope, Dandelion is still open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dandelion is still going, and still charging upwards of €7 for a bottle of Corona as of about a month back. Hopefully it goes the way of Tribe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Hope they don't re-open it. Not fond of assorted drunk persons coming to my front gate to use it as a urinal. Even caught a woman doing it a few years ago :eek:

Advertisement