Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords Crits Series coming to Belfast and Dublin June 19

• 18-05-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Here, nothing specific about Dublin but, here is a the Stoke on Trent race on Thursday then the first extra on in Belfast on Friday night June 18 and then Dublin on Saturday June 19, I hear...some where central at around 7pm.
    The Halfords Tour Series is a city centre cycling race series, which brings unique gladiatorial and exciting team racing to the streets near you.

Will post more when I know more ... unless someone has info now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/news/news.asp?id=2145

i remember reading they werent part of the main series but exhibition events as a precursor to having them as full events next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

According to bikeweek.ie

"Five professional teams from Ireland (representing each of the four provinces and the An Post Cycle Team) and five teams from the UK will battle it out on over a short course circuit. Thrills and spills guaranteed!"

Belfast City Centre Thurs 17th June 17.00
    Dublin City Centre Sat 19th June 17.00

Just a heads up the first round from canary wharf is on ITV4 at 7pm tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Setanta will be showing the entire Tour Series and the two Irish races. The first broadcast is tomorrow afternoon (Thursday 27th) on Setanta Ireland at 3.30pm, then again at 10pm on Setanta 1. There will be other showings as well. Keep an eye setanta.com for full listings information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

By the way - we are looking for ladies cyclists to the opening event in Dublin. I will be taking part :) For info www.womenscycling.ie

• Advertisement

Anybody know where the dublin race is going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'd stay well clear, Halfords are rubbish:p

Ha seriously though, cant wait to check this out!

emtroche wrote: »
    Anybody know where the dublin race is going to be?

Around Dublin Castle and the end of Temple Bar, I believe. A few cobbles involved as well, I think. Half the field will be Irish, the other half English so it should be great craic!

It'll be interesting to see how the Irish team got on in Canary Wharf.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cobbles? Nice.

Am I right in thinking the men's race is invite only?

el tonto wrote: »
    Cobbles? Nice.

Am I right in thinking the men's race is invite only?

Not sure, to be honest but I assume so. The organisers are testing the water this year with the idea that they might expand the series next year. I think it's a great idea. I remember the Kelloggs city centre races in the 80s with Kelly and Roche and the odd other continental taking on the British based pros. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I agree. The sport is to a large extent invisible because races are held in out of the way places. Something like a city centre crit would really attract a lot of people who've never even seen a race before.

The Crunch wrote: »
    Not sure, to be honest but I assume so. The organisers are testing the water this year with the idea that they might expand the series next year. I think it's a great idea. I remember the Kelloggs city centre races in the 80s with Kelly and Roche and the odd other continental taking on the British based pros. Great stuff.

i used to watch the city centre races remember watching malcolm elliot win in the town i grew up in (wonder where my photos went), class definitly brings bike racing to a bigger audience (post tour crits anyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I seem to recall as a young lad the racing around Stephens Green - "Devil Takes the Hindmost". I think it was either Malcolm Elliott or Sean Yates or perhaps an aussie like Phil Anderson perhaps at the back of the group with a big huge wig/facemask on and he eliminated the trailing rider/riders. Very exciting and visually impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

el tonto wrote: »
    Cobbles? Nice.

And not just any cobbles, but Temple Bar cobbles- you could fit a touring tyre into some of the gaps between the setts.

Will this be the first crit to feature riders on beach cruisers? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's interesting. I was just thinking yesterday morning that on the day of the Dublin mini marathon, one of the clubs should (officially) take the opportunity of closed streets to hold a 10k TT through the streets of Dublin, before the Mini Marathon kicks off. Like a commuter race, only without the red lights and mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

I seem to recall as a young lad the racing around Stephens Green - "Devil Takes the Hindmost". I think it was either Malcolm Elliott or Sean Yates or perhaps an aussie like Phil Anderson perhaps at the back of the group with a big huge wig/facemask on and he eliminated the trailing rider/riders. Very exciting and visually impressive!

I remember watching these races, they where brilliant and the crowds were always massive.

Will be great to see some city centre racing back in Dublin and Malcom Elliot is still racing in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Its on now on Setanta Ireland

scooters wrote: »
    I remember watching these races, they where brilliant and the crowds were always massive.

Will be great to see some city centre racing back in Dublin and Malcom Elliot is still racing in them!
    and winning them - amazing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/News/Irish-Tour-Series.aspx
    Irish Tour Series
    Top class professional racing is set to return to Irish cities this summer as part of series of events during National Bike Week. The two events are part of an Irish Tour Series based on the highly successful 'UK Tour Series', will bring fast paced, competitive cycling into the heart of the city centres. The first event takes place in Belfast on Friday June 18th followed on Saturday 19th of June in Dublin coinciding with Dublin as European Capital of Sport in 2010.
    A series of fun and demonstration events for kids, families and local business are planned for some of the support events. The main event in each city will be a 1 hour race with 50 competitors comprising of five teams from England, four regional provincial teams and the Sean Kelly An Post Team. The event will also be televised with an one hour program by Setanta TV.
    Further Details on both events can be found below.
    Cycling Ireland

Belfast – Friday June 18th

The speed and thrill of high speed cycle racing comes to Belfast city centre for the first time next month. It will be the centrepiece of the 'Two Wheels: Two Weeks' programme being promoted by Travelwise Northern Ireland, which runs from 13 - 27 June, and is designed to encourage as many people as possible to get on their bikes to enjoy the numerous health, financial and environmental benefits associated with cycling.

The professional team race will take place over a one kilometre circuit taking in many central Belfast streets including Donegal Square South, May Street, Seymour Street and Chichester Street. The Halfords Tour Series Belfast is being organised in partnership with Belfast City Council, and supported by Travelwise NI.

Launching the event, the Lord Mayor of Belfast, Councillor Naomi Long, commented:
    "Belfast has a worthy reputation for staging high quality sporting events, and this promises to be a thrilling addition to our calendar. I would encourage everyone to come down and see for themselves the excitement of grand prix cycle racing right here in the heart of Belfast.

The Halfords Tour Series Belfast takes place on Friday 18 June. The main race starts at the front of City Hall at 7.30pm and will last around 75 minutes. This will be preceded by the Commuter Challenge Relay at 7pm.

Dublin – Saturday June 19th
    The return of cycling racing to Dublin City Centre after an absence of almost 20 years is seen as a great opportunity to showcase a sport enjoying a strong revival and also Dublin City as a sports friendly city. Cycling Ireland who are promoting the event in conjunction with SweetSpot are delighted to have the backing of Dublin City Council and The Department of Transport to help bring the sport back in front of the people.
    Cycling Ireland CEO, Geoff Liffey said “We are delighted to have such an attractive route in the heart of the city, taking in Temple Bar, Christ Church and City Hall. This event would not be possible without the assistance of Dublin City Council and the support of the residents and traders of the area”.

DublinCritMap.aspx

Karl Mitchell, Dublin City Council Sport and Active Living Manager said ‘Its great to have cycle racing back in the city again. This promises to be a really exciting event. European Capital of Sport is a huge award for the city and this is a great opportunity to celebrate our success’.
    The Halfords Tour Series Dublin takes place on Friday 19 June. The main race starts on Lord Edward Street at 6.00pm and will last around 75 minutes. This will be preceded by the Women’s Criterium race and other supporting events.

RobFowl wrote: »
    This will be preceded by the Women’s Criterium race .

Mmmm wet cobbles ....

• Advertisement

Mmmm wet cobbles ....

A lot of wet cobbles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Eustace St is presently closed due to some roadworks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »

An Urban cross crit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

They're busy cleaning all that crap out from between the cobbles...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    They're busy cleaning all that crap out from between the cobbles...

That'd be a shame! What crit is complete without the risk of puncture from broken glass, syringes or teeth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

That is a terrifying course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

ROK ON wrote: »

I think the repairs might actually be in preparation for the crit itself.

Anyone fancy going splits on No. 25 Eustace Street for the weekend? :D Best seat in the house. (Or best bed, if you're feeling lazy and fancy watching a crit in your PJs.)

Actually, at €900 for three nights for seven people - and it is available for the crit weekend as I write - it's not a bad deal at all. Fabulous house too.

Cornering in a crit is hairy enough ... cornering on cobbles ... I am starting to question why I signed up for this ...

Advertisement