Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap (or even free) film?

• 18-05-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

So this shooting on film thing is getting pretty expensive :eek:

Just wondering if anyone could recommend where to source 35mm colour film for pretty cheap? Saw this on amazon, but could I do better? I'm not looking for particularly high quality stuff, since I'm still only feeling my way with the whole thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Have you checked www.speedgraphic.co.uk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

have you tried 7dayshop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I can give you 10 or 12 cartridges of colour film if you want it for free?

It's 36 exposure Fuji 200 35mm Colour Film. It's also out of date since July last year but it works fine for me.

PM me if you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

PM sent. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Unicare pharmacies are still giving it away for free. I've still a box of 100 or so if you want a few rolls. Same stuff as mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Thanks humberklog, that'd be great.
    I was in the unicare in Nutgrove last weekend and they were all out of the free stuff. Must check some of the others.

theboat wrote: »
    I was in the unicare in Nutgrove last weekend and they were all out of the free stuff. Must check some of the others.

Same guy I get it from does my printing and developing. I'll be there in the morning and aks him what he can get his hands on.

I'm in George's St. arcade most mid week days and keep a few there, if you're going by then swing past and you can have a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He said he's going to try and pick some up from another store he's going to in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

theboat wrote: »

Sorry about that. That is my fault I cleared them out last time I was in couple of weeks back or so. :D

How inconsiderate of you! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Are unicare a chain? and do they regularly hand out free film? sound too good to be true and all that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

How much to get film developed? Lets say a roll of 36 Fuji 200 35mm Colour Film. I was charged €8.99 in the photography shop in Charlestown SC. Am I being ripped? I asked and they gave me a roll of 24 Centuria 200 35mm Colour for free. :rolleyes: Costs €7.99 to develop that. What are the alternatives? Are there any? TIA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've a film scanner, it's much cheaper to just get dev only and scan - gunns charge €4.50 a roll for b&w dev only.

15 euro for 5 rolls onto one cd. The res isn't as high in Unicare as it is in Gunn's. In Gunns they only get one roll onto a cd with the res they give you.

Depending on the res of the pics you got (if high) Dave I'd say you paid about the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I was geting 3 rolls on a cd for 5 quid. Then I moved to Co. Kildare...

Anyone know any city centre (i.e. train commute friendly)scanning places? Resolution doesn't have to be too high

Birmingham camera don't do film scanning anymore and the crowd on abbey st want 10 euro a roll for scanning with is out of my range

if you've a film scanner, it's much cheaper to just get dev only and scan - gunns charge €4.50 a roll for b&w dev only.

Thanks MB. I have a film scanner, but €4.50 IMO is daylight ribbery. :)
    humberklog wrote: »
    15 euro for 5 rolls onto one cd. The res isn't as high in Unicare as it is in Gunn's. In Gunns they only get one roll onto a cd with the res they give you.

Depending on the res of the pics you got (if high) Dave I'd say you paid about the average.

HK, Is that Unicare in Artane. Do they give you film too?

oshead wrote: »

HK, Is that Unicare in Artane. Do they give you film too?

Yeah that's the chap. But be sure to go into John in the Unicare and not the smaller fuji lab opposite as they'll rip you a new one. That'd be only 15 min from you. Usually has them for me same day but best to give him 24hr.

Cheers. :) Do they give the film too? Like, for the my scanner, incase i need/want higher res.

Cheers. :) They give the film too?

Yeah, when he has it if he hasn't then I can give you 20 or so. I can pop them over to you...I need a hotdog and a shot of that Ikeaprozaccalmness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Rua red in tallaght have a gorgeous A2 scanner in their mac suite that you can hire for 2.50 an hour. By far the cheapest way to go is to do it yourself. And you get full control on quality that way too. You get full use of the macs too so can process as you scan.

And if you develop all your own stuff it's even cheaper ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Does anyone know if the Unicare branch in Claremorris has any free/cheap film left?

Does anyone know if the Unicare branch in Claremorris has any free/cheap film left?
    I'd say Unicare in Claremorris would know. Just give them a call and ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I got some of it in Unicare Carrickmines last year and they lashings of the stuff still available. You could try them as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's the b&w price; i don't know what it is for C41 processing.

that's the b&w price; i don't know what it is for C41 processing.

OK, so i guess that's a bit more reasonable.

Btw, I was just in Unicare in Artane and they havn't got any free film ATM. The guy in there, John, said they'll have a fresh load in tomorrow if anyone is interested. It's out of date and all that. Just keep it in the fridge and it'll be OK.

I was just in Unicare in Artane
    Did he mention anything about the CD burner or whether it was fixed?

Effects wrote: »
    Did he mention anything about the CD burner or whether it was fixed?

No, he didn't mention it. I'll ask him tomorrow and let you know.

Cool. I got some film back yesterday but he couldn't put them on CD at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Any offers for free (unicare) film will be rewarded by pints :D
    Contact via PM, of course, if you possess stuff hotter than legal lows.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Cool. I got some film back yesterday but he couldn't put them on CD at the time.

He was installing a new CD writer when I went in the other day. I didn't stay to see how he got on with it. But most likely it would've installed with no problems.
    ThOnda wrote: »
    Any offers for free (unicare) film will be rewarded by pints :D
    Contact via PM, of course, if you possess stuff hotter than legal lows.

Vlastick. Apparently, they(Unicare Artane), will have a new batch of Out of Date film by the middle of this week.

I rang yesterday and he said monday or tuesday next week. Away until monday week so I'll have to wait. I should have asked if I could put them on usb stick.

Advertisement