Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web hosting, DNS and Mx record migration

Options
  • 18-05-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

our current hosting provider has gone to the wall. so I need to move my Website, MX records (we have an internal exchange server and blackberry server) and DNS to someone else.

my limitied understanding is that the website is pretty straight forward, get a new hosting provider and they register the new IP address for our site and a few hours later hey presto.

but what about the rest?

again my limited knowledge is that our internal PCs etc point to our internal DNS and that in turn points to firewall/default gateway.and then points to our ISPs DNS servers or else some other name server.

am i right in thinking with the MX records I again just ask the new hosting company to make the changes and a few hours later those changes are made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Basically yes.

The new provider should look after everything for you.

Have a chat with your provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

If you move your domains DNS completely over to your new hosting provider , the MX records etc will automatically point at your new host, as for internal configs within your office, your best bet is to talk to whoever set it up initally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Sposs wrote: »
    If you move your domains DNS completely over to your new hosting provider , the MX records etc will automatically point at your new host, as for internal configs within your office,
    ok cool that makes life easier.

anyone any recommendations of a company that i could use, I'm considering blacknight
    Sposs wrote: »
    your best bet is to talk to whoever set it up initally.

kinda hard their company is shut down and only on a skeleton crew getting info from them is very difficult. I mean they can't even tell me what software we have licensed corecectly, can put their hands on the media kits or invoices stating what version was bought and when. so i could end up facing a situation that i have to relicense my Exchange and SQL licenses because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I use blacknight a lot, been using them for a long time now never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Faolchu wrote: »
    anyone any recommendations of a company that i could use, I'm considering blacknight
    Blacknight are fine, I use zoneedit.com and they are good too.

I would keep the web server and DNS hosting on separate servers too.
    Faolchu wrote: »
    ...their company is shut down and only on a skeleton crew getting info from them is very difficult. I mean they can't even tell me what software we have licensed corecectly, can put their hands on the media kits or invoices stating what version was bought and when. so i could end up facing a situation that i have to relicense my Exchange and SQL licenses because of it.

This smells funny. They might have charged you for licenses that you don't have. I've seen this before. I would check this out especially considering the expensive software you "bought".

• Advertisement
Advertisement