Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light Metering

• 18-05-2010 5:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi there, i just wanted to know if anyone can tell me, in very simple terms how to use a light meter? The light meter in question is a polaris. Or even if there are any simple easy to follow sites anywhere?
    Its something i should know, and always wanted to get the hang of but every time i approach it it gets very confusing. I am using a nikon D90 if that helps and would be using it mostly in a studio.

Any help appriciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

set the shutter and iso on it
    stand with it in position of subject, facing camera
    click it ( connect it to lights in lights being used)

it will tell you then the aperture to use for correct exposure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

That sounds so much hassle, thank allah I have the top of me head.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

That sounds so much hassle, thank allah I have the top of me head.

with studio work its handy, especially with mf cameras, studio lights throw off your mental metering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fair enough G'uv

medium format is a funky mofo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Why does this become more difficult with medium format cameras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you need to meter each light seperatley, not both at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

stcstc wrote: »
    you need to meter each light seperatley, not both at once

Don't forget your maths.. then you need your maths!

Oh now.. now it's sounding a lot like work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Cool, thanks for that! Do i have to set the shutter speed to the cameras sync speed tho? Or something? This is where it starts to confuse me.

Also with regard to connecting it to the lights, do i connect it to all or just one of them?

Thanks again.

Your camera should have a "minimum sync speed" which is the fastest exposure you can use where the camera will synchronise with the flash.

Generally, if you're using longer exposures, it's not important that it fully syncs.

By "sync" that means that the shutter will be fully open when the flash goes off. If your flash isn't sync'ing, you can get flash photos where half the picture is exposed.. often badly..and the other half is completely black because the shutter curtain has already partially closed before the flash actually went off.

Maybe someone else will be more succinct than me.
    veryrandom wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for that! Do i have to set the shutter speed to the cameras sync speed tho? Or something? This is where it starts to confuse me.

Also with regard to connecting it to the lights, do i connect it to all or just one of them?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Ok cool, but how would one go about finding their cameras sync speed?

rtfm

if you look in the manual it will be in the spec of the camera

a good guide starting point would be

ISO100
    shutter 1/125

and then meter the keylight to F8
    then the fill light at around f5.6

Thanks

Ok cool, but how would one go about finding their cameras sync speed?

As states, it should be in the manual.

BUT.. if the manual isn't available:

Start at 1/250, with the flash equipment hooked up.

Put a plain white backdroppy something-or-other in front of the camera.

have low or no lighting in the room.

Shoot a frame at 1/250, 1/126, 1/90 etc.. until you start seeing part of the image being black & the rest white. (or some shade of grey.)

An average run-of-the mill camera with an average run-of-the mill flash will generally be around 1/125. I've seen some specs claim that with a flash from the same manufacturer as the camera, sync can be as fast as 1/4000 (I've never bothered to test.. what would I ever need a flash for that would need a sync that fast anyhow? I'm not trying to stop bullets mid-flight.)

Sadly the manual isnt available but thanks for the advice!

is it a slr or something,

a safe bet is 125 or 160th, some medium formats will fo quicker like 500th etc

but for most this 125 or 160 will be spot on

Yah its an slr so this should work, thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Heebie wrote: »
    Your camera should have a "minimum sync speed" which is the fastest exposure you can use where the camera will synchronise with the flash.

Generally, if you're using longer exposures, it's not important that it fully syncs.

By "sync" that means that the shutter will be fully open when the flash goes off. If your flash isn't sync'ing, you can get flash photos where half the picture is exposed.. often badly..and the other half is completely black because the shutter curtain has already partially closed before the flash actually went off.

Maybe someone else will be more succinct than me.

Trying to explain it, as I understand it.

Your shutter has 2 courtains. It starts with the first curtain opening, starting the exposure. Then the second curtain closes, ending the exposure, when it is fully closed.
    If your shutter speed is slow, your first curtain opens fully, the camera waits for a while and then the second curtain closes.
    If you shutter speed is too fast, the second curtain starts closing, before the first curtain is fully open, so you'll have never the full picture exposed at the same time.
    If you take your picture without a flash, that's no problem.
    If you use a flash, the second scenario is a problem, as only part of the picture, the one that is exposed at the time the flash fire would benefit and the rest wouldn't, so you would get a picture with a small line being exposed correctly with flash and the rest being too dark.
    THe max Sync speed is the fastes shutter speed at which the second curtain will only start closing after the first curtain has been fully opened.

You can also might have a high speed sync on your flash, in which case the flash would not fire once, but several times, however each time with less than full output (=darker).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Sadly the manual isnt available but thanks for the advice!

You might be able to find a manual online somewhere, most likely as a PDF.

Advertisement