Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporation park where they like!

• 18-05-2010 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Can anyone tell me why i can't get a parking space near my flat in town even with a permit? Every car parked on the street has a corporation staff permit. I'm told the mall and bolton street have no parking so the staff have to park somewhere. Is this going to be permanent? Can the corporation staff park where they like? First i complained to the corporation and their answer was to change the street on my permit (5euro charge). Then I complained to my landlord and he said if i make a major fuss they can take away my permit. They are a law unto themselves!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Council workers can park where they like in the City for FREE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

I also have a permit to park on my street and in fairness there is always parking. But I'm outside the city a bit.

BUT.....

I came on yesterday and even though I had the permit on my windscreen, there was a parking ticket on my windscreen! The traffic warden never bothered to look at it! Grrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

George Orwell, Animal Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

So hold on does that not mean that anyone working in town should get a permit?
    I mean are the council workers doing something more important than everyone else?
    Why do they get permits and the rest of us cant?

jayboi wrote: »
    I mean are the council workers doing something more important than everyone else?

Refer to Animal Farm above!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jayboi wrote: »

a lot of pivate companies offer free parking to staff... whats wrong with the council doing it...

and no offence, its a public road anbosy can park there, no one has a right to it.. flat or not nearby...

and for the record i am a private sector worker..

robtri wrote: »
    a lot of pivate companies offer free parking to staff... whats wrong with the council doing it...

and no offence, its a public road anbosy can park there, no one has a right to it.. flat or not nearby...

and for the record i am a private sector worker..

Private companies cannot allow their employees to park anywhere on the public road for FREE!!

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Private companies cannot allow their employees to park anywhere on the public road for FREE!!

no private companies pick up the charges, just like the council workers is picking up the charges..

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Private companies might come to an agreement with a parking provider to allowing parking in their establishment for a fee to be paid by the employer or the employee not give them a piece of paper to allow them park where ever they please.
    Only the council seems to be able to do that for its staff, you could go so far as to call it an abuse of power.

no private companies pick up the charges, just like the council workers is picking up the charges..

What charges are the Council workers picking up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Council workers can park where they like in the City for FREE!!!

Indeed they can, unlike many people in the city County Council employee's get free parking when they go to work....I've still heard them bitch about having to walk to places after they park for free.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Presumably the cost to the council is loss of revenue from parking spaces taken up by employees that would otherwise be used by paying members of the public.

Gadgie wrote: »
    Presumably the cost to the council is loss of revenue from parking spaces taken up by employees that would otherwise be used by paying members of the public.

Which is money that they should be putting into providing public services, but instead they are providing perks for their underworked staff (please see other thread in relation to Council gravy train!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed they can, unlike many people in the city County Council employee's get free parking when they go to work....I've still heard them bitch about having to walk to places after they park for free. :rolleyes:
    From what I was told by someone (4 year old info I going with here) who works in the CC they get restricted free parking permit for "a street/area" to free park, some get free parking permit for anywhere in the city because their job requires them to travel to locations as part of their work which makes sense. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.

The people with restricted permits sometimes cant get spots in their permit areas so they park somewhere else. They have to be careful not to park on double yellow lines, loading areas etc or else they could get a ticket as this stands out a mile for bad parking and a blind eye cant be done. The free permit thingy is really handy for weekend parking when they are not working so I dont know why they would bitch. Nice perk.

I would guess as I have no evidence and it is only a guess, that if a parking warden sees a city council employee car with a permit but the permit says for another street and the car is parked ok and doesnt stand out (i.e. not parked on double yellows lines...) then I wouldn't be surprised if a blind eye is done. Who would know??? Who polices the parking wardens who are civil servants themselves? Is there any statistics showing city council employees with parking offences?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From what I was told by someone (4 year old info I going with here) who works in the CC they get restricted free parking permit for "a street/area" to free park, some get free parking permit for anywhere in the city because their job requires them to travel to locations as part of their work which makes sense. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.

Nothing wrong with it except 99% of companys do not pay for in-city parking for employee's, so why should county council employee's get special treatment?

Its not very good use of funds,
    The people with restricted permits sometimes cant get spots in their permit areas so they park somewhere else. They have to be careful not to park on double yellow lines, loading areas etc or else they could get a ticket as this stands out a mile for bad parking and a blind eye cant be done.

God forbid they might park on yellow lines and break the law, sure its hard going being permitted to park in town for free.

The free permit thingy is really handy for weekend parking when they are not working so I dont know why they would bitch. Nice perk.

Ok so the tax payer is paying these people's parking at the weekend so they can go into town and shop or go out on the beer, nice to know the money is being used wisely

Surely it should be work days ONLY, non sense in needlesly wasting money or more to the point not creating funds during the weekend as without the permit the employee would have to pay like everyone else and this would all be of benefit to the council
    I would guess as I have no evidence and it is only a guess, that if a parking warden sees a city council employee car with a permit but the permit says for another street and the car is parked ok and doesnt stand out (i.e. not parked on double yellows lines...) then I wouldn't be surprised if a blind eye is done. Who would know??? Who polices the parking wardens who are civil servants themselves? Is there any statistics showing city council employees with parking offences?

All speculation of course, if stats did exist it would be interesting to see them, say if you got 2000 county council employees and compared them to 2000 other employee'sthat also work in the same area how would things compare? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Nothing wrong with it except 99% of companys do not pay for in-city parking for employee's, so why should county council employee's get special treatment?
    The "Nothing wrong with that if you ask me" comment I made was for employees of the city council who have to travel to different locations during their working day as part of the job. I think it makes sense for them to have free parking.

I think all the other type of employees of the corpo should pay for parking just like the rest of us.
    19.5V wrote:
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"
    George Orwell, Animal Farm
    If they have an issue with paying parking rates then they should complain like the rest of us to their councillors.

Its not very good use of funds,

but most private companies pay rent, lease parking area's for their employees in the vicinity of their working places...... the council is no different... except instead of paying a lease, upkeep, security maint. of a car park in a city centre location, propbaly have to build one. it makes a lot more sense to allow them to park on street where the cost is only lost income

how do you know if its a good use of funds or not??? whats that based on??

but most private companies pay rent, lease parking area's for their employees in the vicinity of their working places...... the council is no different... except instead of paying a lease, upkeep, security maint. of a car park in a city centre location, propbaly have to build one. it makes a lot more sense to allow them to park on street where the cost is only lost income

Why would the City Council have to build a car park for their employees? Your argument just don't stand up. The way you are presenting it you would swear that every employer in the City provides car parking for free for their employees. That's a joke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

but most private companies pay rent, lease parking area's for their employees in the vicinity of their working places

Do they? I don't think most companies provide parking for their employees in the city centre.

but most private companies pay rent, lease parking area's for their employees in the vicinity of their working places.....

In city centre's? Really strange that I've never heard of this at all...care to give a few examples in Waterford that don't include An Post, Eircom or the County Council?

So providing their employee's with permits to park over the weekend for free represents good use of tax's? sure....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In city centre's? Really strange that I've never heard of this at all...care to give a few examples in Waterford that don't include An Post, Eircom or the County Council?

I know of at least one business which rented out spaces in Johnstown, where the old Waterford Crystal was years ago.

There are areas in Waterford where you can rent spaces

That doesn't translate to most businesses providing spaces for employees. There may be some offices who do, but you can be damn sure most retail don't, except possibly for higher management.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    That doesn't translate to most businesses providing spaces for employees. There may be some offices who do, but you can be damn sure most retail don't, except possibly for higher management.

It was a retail store that supplied it.

Like I said, "a" doesn't translate into "most."

Why would the City Council have to build a car park for their employees? Your argument just don't stand up. The way you are presenting it you would swear that every employer in the City provides car parking for free for their employees. That's a joke!!

So where should there employees park???
    Kahless wrote: »
    Do they? I don't think most companies provide parking for their employees in the city centre.
    Any large sacle employer does.. small retail units possibly not

So providing their employee's with permits to park over the weekend for free represents good use of tax's? sure....

So you want to compare a large scale organisation like the council to small retial units... :confused:
    you have already listed two large employeers that already do...
    I do agree that parking at the weekends for free shouldnt be allowed..

Also doesnt matter if the company is based in city centre or in the IDA park.. Most large scale employeers provide parking for their employees..
    why shouldnt the council be any different....

So where should there employees park???
    In a car park, same as the rest?
    Any large sacle employer does.
    Simply untrue. As someone who works somewhere which isn't exactly a small retail unit and knows people who work in other similar companies and none of us get employer provided parking.

I'm not sure where the idea that so many people get free parking comes from. See Millers Marsh. That's full of mostly workers every day, as evidenced by the place being empty in that period when the prevented workers using it. And it's not free.
    Also doesnt matter if the company is based in city centre or in the IDA park..

Of course it matters. The discussion was about the city centre. An IDA park on the outskirts is obviously going to be a different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Just curious, about how many cars would be involved during a typical working day, and on a Saturday?

Advertisement