Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing SSF4 on a LAN

Options
  • 18-05-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

No no I'm not insane.

Well maybe a little but anyway, hear me out:

My question is, if one guy went online in xgc, and connected to the other player beside him and both those guys played each other in endless battle rather then versus....

Would there be lag?

Why am I asking this question?

Well if there was no lag, it would be a massive help for us. It'd mean for the big , top 8 matches, we could have a screen for the spectators who could watch a monitor a bit away from the players, and for commentators and the likes.

It'd also mean a replay would be saved so recordings would no longer necessarily have to be made live. Could be directly recorded afterwards instead.

Its a question worth asking anyway, obviously if there was lag it'd be pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sisko wrote: »
    It'd mean for the big , top 8 matches, we could have a screen for the spectators who could watch a monitor a bit away from the players, and for commentators and the likes.

I approve of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

There'd be the possibility of lag.

It wouldn't be a LAN, it would be a WAN, so they'd be connected via the interwebs and not a cable directly between each box.

Whist the connection probably would be as close to perfect as possible, as it's still going through an internet connection, the possibilty of lag is definitely there.

Even if its a slight jitter, it's eneough to stop the idea unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That's not how it works. The connection must go out onto the internet and be passed through the games servers. It won't just automatically be handled by a router if they both happen to be connected to it.

Fairly certain neither the PS3 or 360 have local LAN capabilities anyway.

Edit: @Sisko, not A-Trak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It'll most likely be laggy as hell, since you're still connecting THROUGH XBL/PSN.

Would be easier to split the video signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I know its still going through the internet I just used lan in the title to save space.

My hope being that since its p2p anyway it just might be okay lag wise still. But it is a long shot I know :(

(Off topic @ chopper Btw I think the ps3 can do lan , hardware wise, but its down to the games to be able to support it)

@ kiki it wouldn't be easier to split the signal , the whole reason I'm looking at this is that its easier to do and we have everything we need to do this already.

But yeah again its a long long shot.

• Advertisement

I'm honestly not even sure how the P2P netcode could handle two machines connecting through the same router as they'd both have the same external IP Address.

Interesting point. Anyway something to test at the next casuals. Was gonna test it today but I couldn't make it in.

I know theres lads who play COD and join the same online servers together but I dunno if COD uses p2p or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Interesting point. Anyway something to test at the next casuals. Was gonna test it today but I couldn't make it in.

I know theres lads who play COD and join the same online servers together but I dunno if COD uses p2p or not.

COD is p2p.

It probably distinguishes by MAC if the IP is the same, but you'd have the same internet connection doing all the work as opposed to just your end.

It could quite well be laggier than normal.

Splitting the TV signal is far better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

TV lag plus internet lag = lol

Don't know why you would consider it

• Advertisement

In case there was no internet lag. It would solve a lot of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

In case there was no internet lag. It would solve a lot of issues.

There can never be no internet lag. Although it was worth a shot I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'm honestly not even sure how the P2P netcode could handle two machines connecting through the same router as they'd both have the same external IP Address.

Probably just NAT traversal

PPC wrote: »
    Probably just NAT traversal
    Aw I was just going to use my 1337 new networking exam knowledge to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

It'd also mean a replay would be saved so recordings would no longer necessarily have to be made live.

Does Super not save replays in offline Versus? :O

It doesn't. A very lame and retarded feature. (or lack thereof)

Advertisement