Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2004 Mondeo TDCI clutch

• 18-05-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Any info on approx price of replacing clutch on a 04 Mondeo TDCI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Any info would be greatly appreciated on a reasonable price for supplying & fitting a clutch & flywheel to a 2004 Mondeo diesel...

Willing to travel...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

i was quoted 1200 by cab motors in cork for the same job on a 01 mk3 mondeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

€1200 would be around right for a direct Ford replacement. You could get a solid replacement kit for a few quid less, but the problems arise if the clutch ever needs changing again. Also putting a solid conversation is not advised as a DMF soaks vibration, remove this and the vibration needs to go somewhere. If you can get a good independant mechanic you may get it done a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

solid flywheel is actually more exspensive...im not too sure but i can check on monday but roughly a clutch and flywheel will cost you €500

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

you will not have much change out of €1000

• Advertisement

solid flywheel is actually more exspensive...im not too sure but i can check on monday but roughly a clutch and flywheel will cost you €500

Not a OE manufactured Clutch and Flywheel. I sell these and I could get a solid replacement for the price of the flywheel alone.

i sell clutch and flywheels too.... you can get an luk clutch and flywheel (which is more than likely the o.e supplier) for less than the solid flywheel conversion in most cases

Guess we're both selling the same thing so....LUK is OE on Fords of that era.

Thanks for the info....

Getting a price on monday... Labour wise it must be a much bigger job than a Passat which can be supplied & fitted for £500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP: Has the car been off the road since your first post (nearly eight months ago)?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

brownswiss wrote: »
    Thanks for the info....

Getting a price on monday... Labour wise it must be a much bigger job than a Passat which can be supplied & fitted for £500

It is a bigger job. I think part of the sub frame needs to be removed and the the gearbox taken out. Best part of 4 hours from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

It is a bigger job. I think part of the sub frame needs to be removed and the the gearbox taken out. Best part of 4 hours from what I remember.

Correct, I got mine done last year. Clutch was perfect, the flywheel had started to fail. I bought the genuine luk kit in the uk, i think for about 300 or 350. including flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder and a mechanic changed it for 200. It was tricky he said.....lot less room to manouvrre compared to VW he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The newer 1.8 ones are worst:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Plug wrote: »
    The newer 1.8 ones are worst:(

"newer"... the *same* engine in the mk1 is a pig to do as well.

esel wrote: »
    OP: Has the car been off the road since your first post (nearly eight months ago)?

No..... BUT!! maybe I should have fixed it 8 months ago...

Most of the noise was when cold and once i got going it ran ok until now..

Hard to believe it could be fixed in 4hrs??? The picture being painted by local mechanics was quite different..

€200 seems ok for the job..

for op the price you were qouted seems to be on the hefty side of things the clutch and dual mass fly would cost about €470+vat so 1400 labour is way over the top. i suggest you either find another mechanic or supply them with the parts and renegotiate the labour charge

for op the price you were qouted seems to be on the hefty side of things

how much was he quoted ?

woops...for some reason i had a figure of 2000 in my head..dont know where that came from ...must have been a different thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

No..... BUT!! maybe I should have fixed it 8 months ago...

Most of the noise was when cold and once i got going it ran ok until now..

Hard to believe it could be fixed in 4hrs??? The picture being painted by local mechanics was quite different..

€200 seems ok for the job..

Got clutch replaced on a 02 TCDi 130bhp Mondeo about 18 - 20 months ago. It cost €1200. The clutch kit alone was €900 and labour took over a day.
    My neighbour got his done around the same time and paid €1500

G1032 wrote: »
    Got clutch replaced on a 02 TCDi 130bhp Mondeo about 18 - 20 months ago. It cost €1200. The clutch kit alone was €900 and labour took over a day.
    My neighbour got his done around the same time and paid €1500

If kit costs €500 and labour is 4hrs where are garages coming up with prices like these???

That guy was REALLY chancing his reputation claiming the kit was €900..

Thanks again for all the info...

will have to make a move today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

If kit costs €500 and labour is 4hrs where are garages coming up with prices like these???

That guy was REALLY chancing his reputation claiming the kit was €900..

Thanks again for all the info...

will have to make a move today
    Thinking about it, its probably more like 5+ hours.

Plug wrote: »
    Thinking about it, its probably more like 5+ hours.

Would I be right in assuming a main agent is charging about €50 per hr & a private about €30 per hr ?

Would I be right in assuming a main agent is charging about €50 per hr & a private about €30 per hr ?

Main ford dealer will charge way more than €50 an hour in most if not all places.

Advertisement