Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

computer won't start?

• 18-05-2010 5:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, wonder if you can help me?
    I've an old (6yrs+) pc, its a Philips IQON, just tried to switch it on and I'm just getting a screen with some data on it. There is no power going to mouse or keyboard.
    Screen says;
    Award Modular Bios V6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
    Copyright (C) 1985-2004, Award Software, Inc.
    S651MPRZ F6fIQ
    Check System Health OK
    Main Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.66GHz (133x20)

Press DEL to enter Setup/Q-Flash, F9 for Xpress Recovery
    10/06/2004 - SiS-651-6A6IXG04C-00

Is there hope???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm going to assume pressing delete/f9 does nothing. You need to reset the CMOS jumper on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm going to assume pressing delete/f9 does nothing. You need to reset the CMOS jumper on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Hi, I tried this, but I don't seem to have a jumper? couldn't see anything remotely similar on the board, I removed the battery and reinserted it. there is still no power going to the keyboard though and the start up screen is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Are there any beeps when the PC boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

remove the battery for a couple of minutes?

There are no beeps and I have already removed the battery.
    The info is already on the screen as soon as I switch on the base unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

angeldaisy wrote: »
    There are no beeps and I have already removed the battery.
    The info is already on the screen as soon as I switch on the base unit.

Remove the battery, pull the power cable at the back out, hit the power button a few times while the cable is out, walk away for 30 minutes and then come back and reinsert the battery/cable.

BTW, the jumper is nearly always in close proximity to the battery.

Remove the battery, pull the power cable at the back out, hit the power button a few times while the cable is out, walk away for 30 minutes and then come back and reinsert the battery/cable.

I'll give that a go thanks

I tried that and it hasn't made any difference unfortunately. the screen still comes straight up with the information already on it and the keyboard still has no power to it.

ps2 or usb keyboard?

ps2 i think, its not a usb keyboard anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

To properly reset the BIOS you'll need to short out the connectors in the battery holder using something like the head of a non-magnetic screwdriver while also holding down the power button for about ten seconds (obviously make sure the power is disconnected before you do this). Simply removing the battery is not enough as the capacitors on the board can store enough charge to keep the memory ticking over for a good few minutes.

Next, if that still doesn't work then remove as many components as you can and boot with just one stick of RAM. If that fails change the slot you have the RAM in, if that fails try another stick of RAM (assuming you have two).

If it does start working then add components one at a time until it fails again.

To properly reset the BIOS you'll need to short out the connectors in the battery holder using something like the head of a non-magnetic screwdriver while also holding down the power button for about ten seconds (obviously make sure the power is disconnected before you do this). Simply removing the battery is not enough as the capacitors on the board can store enough charge to keep the memory ticking over for a good few minutes.

Next, if that still doesn't work then remove as many components as you can and boot with just one stick of RAM. If that fails change the slot you have the RAM in, if that fails try another stick of RAM (assuming you have two).

If it does start working then add components one at a time until it fails again.

Okay, well that seemed to do something... its now come up saying Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit.

Do I press F1 to continue? or Del or F9
    Okay so I pressed F1 and it eventually booted up properly and took me into windows. I then shut the machine down properly and re-started it again, the thing is the same data message came up again, I pressed F1 and it took me into windows.
    Will this always happen or do I need to do something else to it?
    Btw thanks to everyone for getting me this far

hit del for setup and it will probably just have some values to change, the defaults should do and save and exit, that should get rid of the message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

As said, defaults should be fine. Glad you have it sorted.

Let us know what the options were and the choices you made though just in case.

well I pressed del and it took me into a blue screen and I selected optimized defaults and then saved and exited.

It worked :D

Thanks so much to all of you, my little boy can go back to playing his games on it now and can leave my laptop alone!

Cheers:)

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if you can help me?
    I've an old (6yrs+) pc, its a Philips IQON, just tried to switch it on and I'm just getting a screen with some data on it. There is no power going to mouse or keyboard.
    Screen says;
    Award Modular Bios V6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
    Copyright (C) 1985-2004, Award Software, Inc.
    S651MPRZ F6fIQ
    Check System Health OK
    Main Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.66GHz (133x20)

Press DEL to enter Setup/Q-Flash, F9 for Xpress Recovery
    10/06/2004 - SiS-651-6A6IXG04C-00

Is there hope???

Hi Guys, I'm afraid that this has happened again and nothing that I tried before is working.
    I was wondering if it was worth getting someone in to have a look at it or whether it is just fit for the bin??

Advertisement