Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a weight limit for a bike ?

• 18-05-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everybody I was just wondering is there an upper weight limit for bikes ?
    I've read in brochures before 'max 16st' etc , I bought a pretty good strong bike last year , and I've just dusted off the cobwebs . I went for a cycle the other evening and it was extremely tough , then i noticed both tyres were basically flat with my weight on them , I've pumped as much air as possible into them & they still flatten when i get on .
    Ive started walking & swimming to try and shift the weight , am I basically just too heavy for my bike at the moment ? I'm too embarassed to bring it to a bike shop & ask :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bring it to a garage and use their pump. Should be grand. Much better than a crappy hand pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is it a mountain bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Tires will deflate over time as the air slowly leaks out of them. Get a pump with a gauge and pump them up to the what ever pressure it recommends, it will be written on the side wall of the tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Is it a mountain bike?

I think its a Hybrid ? Its a Giant , CRS.

Maybe I should invest in a decent pump with a gauge on it so I can see the psi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

Apologies Mods I just found a Cycling sub-forum , probably should of posted there . Thanks for the replies though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No bother. I'm not a correct forum-phobe. :) I'll move it to cycling though. You'll probably get a better answer there anyway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The recommended tyre pressure should be shown on the side of the tyre. Pump it up to this pressure, and you should be fine. If properly inflated there should not be much compression at all when you get on the bike (unless you perhaps have a slow puncture, in which case it will deflate over time)

16st should not be an issue (it's not that long ago that I was riding a bike at about 20st)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I think its a Hybrid ? Its a Giant , CRS.

Maybe I should invest in a decent pump with a gauge on it so I can see the psi ?
    Yes, do this. Get a track pump, Topeak Joe Blow Sport (chainreactioncycles.com have them). Should last you a very long time and take the pain out of pumping tyres up to correct pressures (proabably 120psi for you, consult the tire sidewall and this page:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

A whole sub forum for bigger people on bikes is available here. Apparently, the correct term is 'Clydesdales' and 'Athenas'!

DFD*

*DimensionedForDrought.

Advertisement