Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brittish Soldier killed 7 hours after he gets back from Afghan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

But uve no idea what sort of person is, u made the comment based on the fact he is a British Soilder. There fore must be evil.

Would you make the same comment if he was a Irish lad serving on the British Army?
    He could of been the soundest fella around,IRregardless of nationality,If your stupid enough to go there and work for a corporation, then your an idiot plain and simple

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sykk wrote: »
    Sky News

Imagine, his family delighted he's finally home, next minute some scumbag kills him after avoiding death in the war.. Makes me feel ill tbh..

Yeah, England is a kip alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

digme wrote: »
    he served a corporation ,hardly a bloody country,so now he has no mind of his own? When did Afghanistan try to invade the uk again?

he served a corporation ,hardly a bloody country,so now he has no mind of his own?

can anyone make sense of that statement for me?

lay off the booze

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

amacachi wrote: »
    Where does it say that? All the article says is that he was punched once....
    Kicked, punched.. whatever methods caused the end of a young persons life by low mentality scum, its sad for the now grieving family, thats my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I always wonder if the people spouting all the "They're killing innocents, no sympathy for them, murderers" would be saying the very same things if the Irish Army were requested to send over some of its troops, who then died in said conflict.

I really doubt they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I always wonder if the people spouting all the "They're killing innocents, no sympathy for them, murderers" would be saying the very same things if the Irish Army were requested to send over some of its troops, who then died in said conflict.

I wouldn't but i wouldn't care either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

He could of been the soundest fella around,IRregardless of nationality,If your stupid enough to go there and work for a corporation, then your an idiot plain and simple

So you would say that it was a better place when the Taliban where running the show over there?

I wouldn't but i wouldn't care either

Aye. There's a difference between not caring and calling the lads murderers for serving their country, ya know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wow, definition of irony; Man returns from war to be killed in his hometown.

That's fùckin' sickening, to be killed at such a young age and the scumbags have now left a child without a father.

England really is in the shìtter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We have troops in A'stan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gaelic32

Why are some people making a big deal out of this story!! If he was an ordinary citizen and was killed in this manner it wouldnt have made the Sky news report and this post wouldnt exist. It happens around the world all the time and unfortunately is not mainstream news in a lot of cases - the fact that this person was a soldier Sky news wants to depict him as some sort of hero having returned from a just war which is far from the truth - sympathy for a young person killed on the streets of any town city in the world, yes of course - sympathy for a british soldier returned from a savage one sided staged bloody war - some chance!!

Gaelic32 wrote: »
    Why are some people making a big deal out of this story!! If he was an ordinary citizen and was killed in this manner it wouldnt have made the Sky news report and this post wouldnt exist. It happens around the world all the time and unfortunately is not mainstream news in a lot of cases - the fact that this person was a soldier Sky news wants to depict him as some sort of hero having returned from a just war which is far from the truth - sympathy for a young person killed on the streets of any town city in the world, yes of course - sympathy for a british soldier returned from a savage one sided staged bloody war - some chance!!
    Yes that's what bugs me too,I've heard of countless people for example in australia, who got punched and fell and are in hospital now in coma.
    This he served his country thing is complete horsesh!t.
    Poor families.

We have troops in A'stan.

Is it an actual fighting force or just advisors ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    Kicked, punched.. whatever methods caused the end of a young persons life by low mentality scum, its sad for the now grieving family, thats my point.

I'm not arguing that it's tragic for him and his family, I'm saying that we're not in a position to pass judgment on the lad who did it. It was a single punch, it was hardly a savage attack.

• Advertisement

Is it an actual fighting force or just advisors ?
    action figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Staged? Say what you may about the Iraq war but removing the Taliban from power was probably one of the better things Bush did.

I'm not arguing that it's tragic for him and his family, I'm saying that we're not in a position to pass judgment on the lad who did it. It was a single punch, it was hardly a savage attack.
    Maybe they had an argument about him being in Afghanistan?
    Who knows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Killed 7 hours after returning from Afghanistan. Talk about shít luck, poor fella. It's almost surviving cancer and dying from pneumonia.

Very true - possibly.
    If it was a single punch, even so still in the eyes of the law, it was broken - and hopefully that person will be held accountable and judged.
    We have only a report to go on so we can only go only the facts that are presented while still maintaining an open mind as to their accuracy.

Going on a rough ratio myself, I tend to find that those that are willing to kill by punch or kick, do usually turn out to be scumbags anyway by mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

sympathy for a british soldier returned from a savage one sided staged bloody war - some chance!!

He was a young man just like you, Its a shame when anyone dies

Be Fair, he was English in the British Army, so what.
    Its nothing to be ashamed of for an english man to serve his country

Very true - possibly.
    If it was a single punch, even so still in the eyes of the law, it was broken - and hopefully that person will be held accountable and judged.
    We have only a report to go on so we can only go only the facts that are presented while still maintaining an open mind as to their accuracy.

Going on a rough ratio myself, I tend to find that those that are willing to kill by punch or kick, do usually turn out to be scumbags anyway by mentality.

I would agree, but to me I think people should be prosecuted for the crime they commit, not for the result. The fact that he's out on bail suggests it wasn't a cold-blooded murder in the police's/law's eyes.

I would agree, but to me I think people should be prosecuted for the crime they commit, not for the result. The fact that he's out on bail suggests it wasn't a cold-blooded murder in the police's/law's eyes.
    Well we don't know the in's and outs of the bail conditions and in England this week, larger and smaller crime people accused are also out on bail.
    We will just have to wait and see.
    If you punch someone so hard as to not just to injure but to kill (in one violent strike alone!), I don't think that espouses that the person doing it is of a good nature and indicates this big time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

You don't see the horrible irony of someone who has spent months in a lawless war zone where soldiers are regularly maimed and injured being killed in his hometown in a wealthy stable country within hours of returning to "safety"? And you really can't conjure up an ounce of sympathy for him or his family?

Hm.

As for "just wars" and soldiers, don't confuse someone's willingness to serve with a government's decision to send them to war. I have a friend who became a nurse because he wanted to help people, and after years of doing medical missions all over the world, he is now stationed in Afghanistan, where he treats civilians and military personnel alike. And many of the civilians he treats are injured by Taliban bombings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Aren't soldiers supposed to be tough?
    Or is that just the case when they're shoving a machine gun into the face of some poor, downtrodden, unarmed farmer out in whatever country they're invading?

I'm sick of people using this example.

I may be poor and downtrodden but i have a double-barrelled shotgun and i know how to use it.

So fuck off and pick on someone else.. Travellers or dwarves or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Or is that just the case when they're shoving a machine gun into the face of some poor, downtrodden, unarmed farmer out in whatever country they're invading?

Soldiers are tough, and brave, and deserving of praise in the vast majority of cases. Whether you agree with the politics which has them in the warzone doesn't change the fact that they do a very dangerous job that most people would not be up to. Being tough is one thing, being able to survive having your head smashed in is quite another. To deride them in the way you did is extraordinarily ignorant.

Well we don't know the in's and outs of the bail conditions and in England this week, larger and smaller crime people accused are also out on bail.
    We will just have to wait and see.
    If you punch someone so hard as to not just to injure but to kill (in one violent strike alone!), I don't think that espouses that the person doing it is of a good nature and indicates this big time too.

He hit the ground, I'd be fairly sure it was the way he hit the ground rather than the impact of the punch which caused the injuries.

He hit the ground, I'd be fairly sure it was the way he hit the ground rather than the impact of the punch which caused the injuries.
    We will have to wait for the medical report on that one but it must have been a hell of a punch to put him down ...and this is a trained (even in basics) soldier - who by the way on a British ordinary street, as far as we can tell DIDN'T use his training in a wrong way and fight back but just got struck for his more possible peaceful stance.

If this now dead man was as "evil" or brutal as some here would have him made out to be (O' he must be - he's in the army :rolleyes: ), he would have wiped the floor with the now accused we can assume - but no, he stayed non-violent, stuck within the law and suffered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Are you for real???They're idiots.

What do you mean 'am I for real'? By saying the soldiers over there are a brave bunch? How are they idiots? By joining the army? By following orders?....That's your opinion.

No I don't think they're idiots. Maybe there are a few d*ckheads among them:D but anyone who goes to a war zone where they're constantly in fear of their lives is brave as fcuk in my opinion.

It's really sad for a young man to survive war and to die so soon afterwards in the street like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i think its terrible for a young man to come back from a war zone and get killed by a scumbag for no reason i dont care what army he was in he did nor deserve this i hope his young family are o k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Like you'd know anything about it :rolleyes:

We will have to wait for the medical report on that one but it must have been a hell of a punch to put him down ...and this is a trained (even in basics) soldier - who by the way on a British ordinary street, as far as we can tell DIDN'T use his training in a wrong way and fight back but just got struck for his more possible peaceful stance.

If this now dead man was as "evil" or brutal as some here would have him made out to be (O' he must be - he's in the army :rolleyes: ), he would have wiped the floor with the now accused we can assume - but no, he stayed non-violent, stuck within the law and suffered for it.

He had gone out for a smoke. From a pub. Anyone can be put down with one thump. Anyone.

He had gone out for a smoke. From a pub. Anyone can be put down with one thump. Anyone.
    If so, to go back to an earlier point, what sort of character strikes a man just going out for a smoke then?

I'd guess a scumbag! How about you?

If so, to go back to an earlier point, what sort of character strikes a man just going out for a smoke then?

I'd guess a scumbag! How about you?

Sweet Jesus Christ above. Based on the witness statement he didn't just walk up and hit him, there was a conversation first. He's a soldier, he knows if he hits someone first there's a fair chance he'll be out on his arse. We don't know what was said, we don't know the circumstances or anything else.
    It's a tragedy for the soldier and his family, that's all any of us know, and I'm not going to pass judgment on anyone based on a short article, the focus of which should be, and is, the loss of a young man and the tragedy that it is for his family.

...It's a tragedy for the soldier and his family, that's all any of us know, and I'm not going to pass judgment on anyone based on a short article, the focus of which should be, and is, the loss of a young man and the tragedy that it is for his family.
    Absolutely no argument there.
    Going on what is known, I'm opting to think the dead (the pacifist in this incident) is the victim and the attacker is of low calibre.
    Sorry if it grieves you that I think that.

Ann22 wrote: »
    What do you mean 'am I for real'? By saying the soldiers over there are a brave bunch? How are they idiots? By joining the army? By following orders?....That's your opinion.

No I don't think they're idiots. Maybe there are a few d*ckheads among them:D but anyone who goes to a war zone where they're constantly in fear of their lives is brave as fcuk in my opinion.

It's really sad for a young man to survive war and to die so soon afterwards in the street like that.
    THEY SHOULDN'T BE OVER THERE.Or do you believe they are there to capture the nooooklar bombs that osama has in his cave hideout....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

the U.S and the U.K need to clean up thier own countries before they dictate to the world how they should run their's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

THEY SHOULDN'T BE OVER THERE.Or do you believe they are there to capture the nooooklar bombs that osama has in his cave hideout....

They don't choose where they go, they are sent. No doubt these young lads are full of good intentions. The desire to want to defend your nation is nothing to be ashamed of. It's how that nations leaders use those soldiers is another thing. There are idiots alright, but few of them are actually on the ground in these war zones. Most sit behind desks.

smurgen wrote: »
    the U.S and the U.K need to clean up thier own countries before they dictate to the world how they should run their's
    Nice idea but not going to happen.
    * Thats like saying Fianna Fail should clean up their own act before they should ever govern and preach...
    * Thats like saying Rome should be all cleansed of its sins before attempting to "cry from the pulpit" to the rest of us supposed lower mortals!

Nice idea but sadly we all know better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

That is horrific, but life is like that. People are taken away from us so quickly and without any notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

We will have to wait for the medical report on that one but it must have been a hell of a punch to put him down ...

It doesn't have to be a powerful punch to knock someone down. In fact it doesn't have to be powerful to knock someone out, Most likely it was a cheap shot from one of the attackers.
    Anyhoo, it says he received the serious injuries when he hit the ground, just unlucky in a bad way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

THEY don't have the call on whether they're there or not. That's much furhter up the scale, if they refuse to go? Charged and given a prison sentence.

You do realise they're over there essentially liberating people from a totalitarian group hell bent on enforcing Sharia law and restricting womens rights?

You go on about them like everyone of them is scumbag ruining the lives of free people, who already had it good before 2001 invasion. If you're in such a position to comment on people, what have you done for the less fortunate? Who's life have you changed, who have you freed from a horrible lifestlye?

My money is on that you've done **** all for anyone else other than yourself in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nice idea but not going to happen.
    * Thats like saying Fianna Fail should clean up their own act before they should ever govern and preach...
    * Thats like saying Rome should be all cleansed of its sins before attempting to "cry from the pulpit" to the rest of us supposed lower mortals!

Nice idea but sadly we all know better...

yeah my bad for hoping for a non-ironic world.i'll know better next time and just keep my mouth shut

RMD wrote: »
    THEY don't have the call on whether they're there or not. That's much furhter up the scale, if they refuse to go? Charged and given a prison sentence.

You do realise they're over there essentially liberating people from a totalitarian group hell bent on enforcing Sharia law and restricting womens rights?
    You join the military to defend your country,that's the whole point of having one.If your 22 and you joined the army in this day and age your a complete twat and more than likely a BIT slow in the head,,as you know what they are doing is wrong and your not going to be doing anything for your country in terms of defending it.

Liberating is not what they are there for.They are building a huge trans asian pipeline,and they are looting the country of many of their natural resources,they also have 100's of bases to keep china in checlk alogn with russia.Don't be so dam naive.

smurgen wrote: »
    yeah my bad for hoping for a non-ironic world.i'll know better next time and just keep my mouth shut
    I wasn't having a go at yourself in any way. :)

Sadly just hinting that we still live in an imperfect world.
    The best we can do is try and cope within it.

• Advertisement

RMD wrote: »

You go on about them like everyone of them is scumbag ruining the lives of free people, who already had it good before 2001 invasion. If you're in such a position to comment on people, what have you done for the less fortunate? Who's life have you changed, who have you freed from a horrible lifestlye?

My money is on that you've done **** all for anyone else other than yourself in life.
    So naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You join the military to defend your country,that's the whole point of having one.If your 22 and you joined the army in this day and age your a complete twat and more than likely a BIT slow in the head,,as you know what they are doing is wrong and your not going to be doing anything for your country in terms of defending it.

Liberating is not what they are there for.They are building a huge trans asian pipeline,and they are looting the country of many of their natural resources,they also have 100's of bases to keep china in checlk alogn with russia.Don't be so dam naive.

Maybe you should copy and paste this on the Military forum, soo who agrees with you.

The US and the UK didn't decide on this war, the UN did (and the motion FWIW was voted in favour of by the Irish government).

There are 42 nations involved with the operations, including Ireland. If you have a problem with the war, lobby your TD, or better still, do us all a favour and join the Taliban, if you have the balls (which I somehow seriously doubt).

Maybe you should copy and paste this on the Military forum, soo who agrees with you.

The US and the UK didn't decide on this war, the UN did (and the motion FWIW was voted in favour of by the Irish government).

There are 42 nations involved with the operations, including Ireland. If you have a problem with the war, lobby your TD, or better still, do us all a favour and join the Taliban, if you have the balls (which I somehow seriously doubt).
    You don't understand how the un works do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Send them into gangland limerick...

.....wherever the hell that is :rolleyes:

As for the original post, I've mixed feelings.......I'm definitely sorry for his family, and the fact is that he was only following orders, but the Brits and American shouldn't have invaded Iraq in the first place, and the soldiers who had ethics should have refused to go, so there's an element of karma in there somewhere too.

There's a family in mourning in Britain, and they have my sympathies.

There are also thousands of families in mourning in Iraq.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's somewhat amusing being a fly on the wall on these threads. I'm always curious to know if some of the things posted here would be said to my face at a Boards Beers.

We would occasionally crack jokes about how Afghanistan is statistically safer for Americans than the US is. (It is, believe it or not.). All 750 of us in our unit came back alive last month (though a couple of feet were missing, and a few other breaks and perforations). On his second day back on his civilian job (Sheriff's Deputy) one of our troopers was shot and killed by some guy who was just generally pissed off with the world. If he were killed by insurgents, so be it, but the irony is not lost on us.

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=12385835
    and the soldiers who had ethics should have refused to go
    !?

My ethics state that if I give my word on something, then I'll do it. That includes following all legal orders from my chain of command.

NTM

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement