Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless microphone help?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hey guys

My band has just gotten a new singer and today he rang me to ask about a wireless microphone. He's the kind of frontman who doesnt like staying on stage a whole lot so you can see where a wireless mic would come in handy.

I've no expierence with wireless systems. So if theres any do's and don'ts when it comes to them pease let me know.

He is willing to fork out a good amount of money on a set (wireless microphone and reciever)

I have expierence with Shure so i'm tending to lean toward advising him to get a beta 58 or sm 58 wireless. I'm assuming that the sound quality is the same between the wireless and cord version?
    Are there other brands you would recommend?
    is there anything i should look for when reading up about the reciever eg signal strenght, feedback, range etc?

All help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Sound quality will always be better with a lead ;) no matter what anyone says.....

Ive had Nady/Shure/Sennheiser/Akg blah blah, plug the lead version in and wipes the floor with the radio version :)

Stick to the Shures/ Sennheisers also depends on guys voice in regards to choice of mic etc... so maybe give us a pointer ie: hes a paul carrick or a kylie minogue or a cory from slipknot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 JAMMAN1701

PMI wrote: »
    Sound quality will always be better with a lead ;) no matter what anyone says.....

Ive had Nady/Shure/Sennheiser/Akg blah blah, plug the lead version in and wipes the floor with the radio version :)

Stick to the Shures/ Sennheisers also depends on guys voice in regards to choice of mic etc... so maybe give us a pointer ie: hes a paul carrick or a kylie minogue or a cory from slipknot :)

I completely agree with you on that point, you cannot beat a plug in mic, same goes with guitar and bass. A certain tone is lost with the wireless systems.

He'd be more Springsteen with regards to voice with a bit of bono thrown into the mix.

He is interested in getting a Shure What are the differences between a SM58 and a Beta 58a?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

JAMMAN1701 wrote: »
    He is interested in getting a Shure What are the differences between a SM58 and a Beta 58a?
    Beta's tend to be 'brighter'. This can alos be interpreted as 'honk' depending on how you roll.

Also SM58 is a cardioid pickup whereas B58A is Supercardioid. The latter picks up a small bit from behind, so can give trouble in stage monitoring situations. You can always EQ this out...but this begs the question, if you're buying for a sound that you will remove anyway, it's just gonna end up sounding like a standard 58 by the time you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Also if hes doing the cabaret stuff like wandering around etc... showing off his mic :D you would want to look out for polar pattern and mic control and a nice old eq setup on the PA :D

What PA is it going through? as if its a box on sticks system there wont be much point in throwing more than 400 at it... as it will sound cheap anyway if the PA is bad :(

I run a Shure now but you cant buy it anymore and its the best mic Ive ever had its been dropped thrown done thousands of gigs and never let me down I think its the older UHF system poss EL/LX range/era prob 10 years in the rear view mirror now :D

Other guy in band has been through sennheisers / beta 58 systems and other 58 systems but this old workhorse keeps going and sounds spot on....

Just find the newer ones a bit cheaper in quality etc..

Advertisement