Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croi Cycle this weekend

• 18-05-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

I am going to try and do this for the first time this year, (75 miler) I am not a very experienced cyclist so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to wear, bring, any clever pearls of wisdom out there?

I notices on the website some people had bags on their backs, what would you have in a bag?

cheers
    T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Tinder wrote: »
    I am going to try and do this for the first time this year, (75 miler) I am not a very experienced cyclist so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to wear, bring, any clever pearls of wisdom out there?

I notices on the website some people had bags on their backs, what would you have in a bag?

cheers
    T
    Going to give this one a try myself, cycling shorts are a must for comfort, if you have a cycling jersey the pockets are very handy for food, I usually bring bananas and cereal bars, never assume you'll be well fed at the food stops.
    The backpacks that you mention might be waterbags, called camelbaks I think, some people like them but your back can become a bit sweaty with them, I prefer drinks bottles, I use diluted fruit juice for drinks but others might recommend hi-energy drinks.
    As for the cycle itself, don't get carried away at the start and try to keep up with the faster cyclists, save your energy and pace yourself, there's still 74 miles to go :), listen to advice from more experienced cyclists and don't be afraid to ask for advice either, most of all, enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

There will be loads of water and food stops on this cycle tomorrow.
    It is one of the best organized cycles and with the weather forecast excellent for tomorrow there should be a large turnout.

There is the extra bonus of a sheep shearing championship on in Oughterard the same day..but it will be on later in the day, so no delays expected.

Also seen the vintage tractor rally heading out toward Clifden earlier, (some nice machines) they will be coming back tomorrow along the same route probably early?...but in opposite direction.

The croi cycle leaves at 8:30 for the 30mile(48k) and 75mile (120k)from dangan sports grounds.

Enjoy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Given the weather we're having I would NOT use a backpack. Can you get your hands on a large saddle bag? or even a bum bag?

Do you have bottle cages on your bike?

Do you have a proper cycling jersey? You can carry nutrigrain or energy bars and even a bottle of water in the back pockets.

I'd also get some very strong sunscreen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

What a Day. Woke up at 6.30am the time we were due to leave town to cycle up to Galway( we finish in Cong).Hit the road at 6.57 and so I began my 95km lone pursuit . Got to start 15 min after the mass start Handed over my money added more sun cream and set off again last person to start. Got to the stop(95km) as my teammates were getting ready to leave. Set off after them after a quick sambo and water top up. got to Cong after 4h28min 121km. I made full use of the fabulous homemade food on the table.

I will say the backup on this is very good as there seemed to be lots of Mech wagons moving along the road( there are every type of bike you can think of) and the food stops are well stocked.

Finally to the wheelsucking Son of a B*tch :mad:who I dragged from Maam to the butt of the Ardan climb thanks, not even a hello as you shot passed. I hope someone repaid you all the way up the Curragh Line into the wind:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What a day is right, weather was fantastic although my arms are a little red, put on sun block this morning but forgot to bring extra, think I got home just in time.

Got to the start on time and a good turn out as usual, cycled by myself except when chatting to people and crowd were in good form. Came accross one women who's derailleur was bent backwards, was able to sort it out for her and get her back on the road and other then a few punctures didn't see any issue's. Thankfully none myself. Met a lot of first timers who had never cycled more then 50 or 60 km before and all were really enjoying themselves which was good to see.

The stops had plenty of food and water and the cake stop was brilliant as usual. No big climbs on this one so not feeling bad now, bit of a slug in from headford but nothing bad.

Completed 125 km's (including trip from house) in 4:20 and ascended 574 (Mavic Altimeter), about 100 of that just from cycling to and from my house although not sure how accurate it is.

At the start they mentioned how this was the 16th Anual Corrib cycle which made me feel very old as I was there for the first one and had previously done some corrib cycles for other charities!

Thanks to all involved for providing another great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Ya really good day..maybe too warm from 12.30 on..."Scorcccchio"

Excellent water and food stops as expected, the egg sandwiches in Maam were lovely as was the tart in Cong.

The support vehicles were busy helping people all day.

Someone came off just before Oughterard...he was luck as there was a van coming in opposite direction and narrowly missed him...hope he is OK?

Roll on the Burren..june 19th.

th.Dscn0210.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Ya really good day..maybe too warm from 12.30 on..."Scorcccchio"

Excellent water and food stops as expected, the egg sandwiches in Maam were lovely as was the tart in Cong.

The support vehicles were busy helping people all day.

Someone came off just before Oughterard...he was luck as there was a van coming in opposite direction and narrowly missed him...hope he is OK?

Roll on the Burren..june 19th.

th.Dscn0210.jpg

The guy that came off near Oughterard is fine - problem with his shoulder but he'll be ok. He spent the day in Casualty.

Echoing every one elses sentiments - superb day for the cycle. Used the kids factor 50 before rushing out the door at 6.45am before the scheduled 7am start in Headford.

3hrs 56mins cycling time to do the 75 miles. Was DAMN happy to be finishing up in Headford though and not to have to negotiate the Curraghline again :)

Well run event and fantastic weather, everyone was very relaxed and nice easy pace, @Mr Velo it might have been you I was talking to just after the Cong foodstop, the guy was doing the Headford to Headford lap, it was only on the drag from Headford to Galway that I realised that it was a toughish stretch.
    BTW that waterstop at Headford was a godsend, it gave me a boost for the last 25K.

My reading at 100kms was 3h 35m rolling time, average speed 28kph.
    I missed my reading at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

vektarman wrote: »
    Well run event and fantastic weather, everyone was very relaxed and nice easy pace, @Mr Velo it might have been you I was talking to just after the Cong foodstop, the guy was doing the Headford to Headford lap, it was only on the drag from Headford to Galway that I realised that it was a toughish stretch.
    BTW that waterstop at Headford was a godsend, it gave me a boost for the last 25K.

My reading at 100kms was 3h 35m rolling time, average speed 28kph.
    I missed my reading at the finish.

+1 on this,excellent run event and great food stops unlike the M3 cycle last weekend. Just leaving the stop in Maams Cross I broke a spoke in the front wheel. I asked the service guy there about changing it and he looked at me like I had two heads.Fortunately got taking to a guy there who was not doing the cycle but had a spare wheel in the car which he kindly let me borrow and this got me back to Galway.
    One small gripe about the finish, for anyone who is not familiar with Galway, it can be a issue trying to get back to the carpark from the the Menlo hotel - a couple of signs might be a good idea.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=trek climber;66037114
    One small gripe about the finish, for anyone who is not familiar with Galway, it can be a issue trying to get back to the carpark from the the Menlo hotel - a couple of signs might be a good idea.[/QUOTE]

The directions I was given at the Menlo hotel would have brought me around two extremely busy roundabouts and busy roads, fortunately someone else overheard me asking for directions and suggested the paths to avoid the roads.

yes, big difference to the M3 cycle, nice to get back to well run events and nice scenery again.

+1 on this,excellent run event and great food stops unlike the M3 cycle last weekend. Just leaving the stop in Maams Cross I broke a spoke in the front wheel. I asked the service guy there about changing it and he looked at me like I had two heads.Fortunately got taking to a guy there who was not doing the cycle but had a spare wheel in the car which he kindly let me borrow and this got me back to Galway.
    One small gripe about the finish, for anyone who is not familiar with Galway, it can be a issue trying to get back to the carpark from the the Menlo hotel - a couple of signs might be a good idea.

In all fairness trek climber, i think it's a bit much to expect service guys to carry around spare spokes for all types of wheels.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    In all fairness trek climber, i think it's a bit much to expect service guys to carry around spare spokes for all types of wheels.

Yes of course especially when you would consider all the different type of wheels there yesterday, it wasn't that it was more to do with his dismissive attitude. Fair enough he could not help me but at that stage any suggestions would have been helpful. Anyway I got sorted so it was no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

@'Trek C
    How close to start did you get to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JohnBoy1969

Does anyone know where the photos which were taken on the day will be posted online?

Esroh wrote: »
    @'Trek C
    How close to start did you get to stay

We got a b&b out the Clifden Road beside the Glenlo Hotel and it was a nice place in a nice location

Does anyone know where the photos which were taken on the day will be posted online?

www.croi.ie - photographer said it would be tomorrow before they would be online

Great pics, they really capture the breathtaking scenery and the fun spirit of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

vektarman wrote: »
    The directions I was given at the Menlo hotel would have brought me around two extremely busy roundabouts and busy roads, fortunately someone else overheard me asking for directions and suggested the paths to avoid the roads.

yes, big difference to the M3 cycle, nice to get back to well run events and nice scenery again.

I think that could have been me given them directions as I gave them to a few people. Thinking about it now those roundabouts are lethal but I cycle them almost everyday so hadn't thought about it as I'm used to them.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Ahh what a day, stunning weather, great company (I did it on my own but met loads of really nice folks), and had all the essentials, suncream and water.. can't wait until next year.

Thanks to all involved in putting the whole thing together, you did a great job.
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

I was happily surprised to see myself in some of the photos. I had a great day too!

Advertisement