Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Knopfler @ The O2, May 19th

• 18-05-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Anyone going? anyone seen him before? got any idea how long the gig would be on for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭musicmania

mark182 wrote: »
    Anyone going? anyone seen him before? got any idea how long the gig would be on for.

I'm going cos I won tickets from O2 FB page :D I saw him 2 years ago in the RDS. I can't remember the length of the gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

any info on what time mark is on?
    how long he plays for?
    supprt acts etc.?
    got two tickets as a present dont really know much about mark except he is an excellent guitar player..

should be an enjoyable night anyway hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭musicmania

Wow. That was a great concert! Really enjoyed it and getting into the VIP lounge was brilliant! Even though he was plainly in alot of pain he was in top form musically and every song was great! Would love to write more but I'm up for work in a few hours so need some shut eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

Really enjoyed it, would love to have heard Money for Nothing though. I loved Telegraph Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Glad to hear the show was great, I had no doubt it would be nothing but!
    what do you mean "in alot of pain" musicmania? is Mark ill or something???
    I noticed on this tour he has been sitting through the performances,

I'm sick I missed out in this, I hope he comes back soon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He said he's got a trapped nerve or something. Was on top form musically though. I think he played a longer set in the RDS last time. Not sure if he plays "Money for nothing" anymore, he didn't play it the last time I saw him either. Thought he did a great job with Telegraph Road, liked the selection of his newer stuff as well. Well worth the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Red Alert wrote: »
    He said he's got a trapped nerve or something. Was on top form musically though. I think he played a longer set in the RDS last time. Not sure if he plays "Money for nothing" anymore, he didn't play it the last time I saw him either. Thought he did a great job with Telegraph Road, liked the selection of his newer stuff as well. Well worth the money!

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that, glad the performance wasn't effected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

another fantastic gig by knopfler, great setlist too i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Didnt know much about mark coming into this but he is an amazing guitar player..

wasnt impressed with the crowd it seemed like they were afraid to sing along even with the dire straits songs....

all in all was very enjoyable and i can now call myself (and my lady) a fan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love Mark and wished I could have gone. :(

Did he do much from "Get Lucky", "Kill To Get Crimson" and "Golden Heart"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

I have to say I wasn't quite as impressed as others. I thought that there was a decidedly shaky start with the first six songs. It was only after the first two Dire Straits songs did it settle down. MK and rest of the band then put on a very polished display.

Clearly MK was not in the best of health and the concert seemed to reflect this, being noticeably low on energy but high on virtuosity. His hand picked band were of a very high standard, but only hit their emotional stride a good hour into the gig.

Sound quality was good, but the guy on the desk had MK and his guitar way too low for the first third of the gig and missed picking up the flute/fiddle at key points.

6/10 from me.

Setlist:

Border River
    What It Is
    Sailing to Philadelphia
    Prairie Wedding
    Cleaning My Gun
    Hill Farmer's Blues
    Romeo & Juliet (Dire Straits)
    Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits)
    Donegan's Gone
    Done With Bonaparte
    Marbletown
    Speedway at Nazaret
    Telegraph Road (Dire Straits)
    Encore:
    Brothers In Arms (Dire Straits)
    So Far Away (Dire Straits)
    Piper to the End

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If I got to choose the set list, I'd drop all of the Dire Straits stuff and bring in Cannibals, Scaffolders Wife, Imelda and Darling Pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

This was my first gig at the O2, and I thought the poor sound at the start was due to my seat waay over in block A.
    A crew member with a laptop sat down in front of me for a while and seemed to be monitoring sound levels. Things improved shortly after he left:)

Not much of an atmosphere amongst the crowd in block A. I'll book early for the next gig and get a better seat I think.

An enjoyable gig all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭xabi_a

Enjoyed the gig myself but thought the atmosphere was a little muted. I'm sure if Mark was up and about it might have helped, but fair play to him, he put on a good show anyway. I think this sort of gig is more about musicianship that atmosphere anyway.

Advertisement