Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking I might print this as a series. C+C welcomed.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You show a heavy bias against digital photographers and with that attitude it's hardly surprising that you've sold more film photographs than digital ones - I don't imagine you'd try too hard to sell something you don't even like yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Promac wrote: »
    You show a heavy bias against digital photographers and with that attitude it's hardly surprising that you've sold more film photographs than digital ones - I don't imagine you'd try too hard to sell something you don't even like yourself.

Far too easy an assumption. When I'm selling I'd sell baby seal fur to make a sale. So I really went with proper sales application with the digital images as with the film.
    When I'm selling I'm selling and when I'm taking snaps I'm taking snaps. Two very different jobs.
    I gave digital the proper full on treatment. The results of the experiment would have been tainted had I not. I take my job far too seriously to put personal prejudice in the way.

I'm not convinced but I'll not start an argument over it and I'll stop derailiing your thread now.

Promac wrote: »
    I'm not convinced but I'll not start an argument over it and I'll stop derailiing your thread now.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Here's one for you Humberklog....
    i was teaching my intro to photography aboout 4 months ago to first eyars and they are approx 18-20 yrs old, for the first time one of them said to me when i was going through the srl with them...'but you cant see the picture?' it marked a timethat i dont think i will ever forget as after 6 years of teaching this module 'traditional' photography has become the 'other'. Personally i thought it was fascinating and ia expecting the call to become more frequent as the years go by, but i still love the look in their eyes when they first see the image appearing on the 10x12 sheet pf paper after a little bit of aggitation in the dev. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

[wanders off muttering] everything I know is wrong........................:eek:

dakar wrote: »
    [wanders off muttering] everything I know is wrong........................:eek:

You mean to say that you didn't have to lop the horns off that cow?!:eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

dakar wrote: »
    [wanders off muttering] ALMOST everything I know is wrong........................:eek:

Fixed my post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

My nude, erotic and hardcore adult images
    I've always called you HUMPERKLOG for some strange reason !!! :-) get it, hump, ok I'll get me coat.... On topic, I like the images, but I'm not gettin orgasms over them ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

are the film images printed old school ala enlarger? or scanned and printed digitally?

are the film images printed old school ala enlarger? or scanned and printed digitally?

Oh good lord no way old school, I get the negs developed, scanned and printed digitally. I wouldn't have the patience for all that darkroom malarky. I don't like it never mind the patience. Far too photoeeey for me.

I've really no great interest in photography as such. I like(ish) taking pics but even that's at a push sometimes. But I've absolutely no love of the process from after the button's pressed to receiving images from lab. Oh let someone else do all that stuff.
    I've trucks to catch scuts on and other such things to fill my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

humberklog wrote: »
    I've trucks to catch scuts on....

is that a medical thing? :confused:

artyeva wrote: »
    is that a medical thing? :confused:

It is but don't fret arty, I have a balm for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Yay film for the win! It's true, film sells. I'm selling mine and humberklogs pics in tempole bar and as soon as I mention that everything was taken on film, eyebrows go up and total delight and respect are expressed.

I think it's partly because of old school nostalgia, in a cool retro way. And partly because of the beautiful tones, gentle softness, colour and the respect of taking the image in one or two goes. I always feel that a lot of people shoot 30 photos in the hope of getting one good one when they use digital. And digital is sharper than the human eye! Now thats just freaky.

Both myself and Humberklog have definitely noticed the very strong trend. Film sells. Because its real and gorgeous.

PS I like the set with the portrait one and 2 landscapes. They work well together to be complimentry but not a total matching neat set. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Yay film for the win! It's true, film sells. I'm selling mine and humberklogs pics in tempole bar and as soon as I mention that everything was taken on film, eyebrows go up and total delight and respect are expressed.

I think it's partly because of old school nostalgia, in a cool retro way. And partly because of the beautiful tones, gentle softness, colour and the respect of taking the image in one or two goes. I always feel that a lot of people shoot 30 photos in the hope of getting one good one when they use digital. And digital is sharper than the human eye! Now thats just freaky.

Both myself and Humberklog have definitely noticed the very strong trend. Film sells. Because its real and gorgeous.

PS I like the set with the portrait one and 2 landscapes. They work well together to be complimentry but not a total matching neat set. Nice.

You said yourself that interest goes up when you mention that it's film - would they buy/be as interested in them if they didn't know it was film!? I don't see how you can attribute it to the softness or the colour if they express their interest after finding out it's film, surely then they are buying because of the retro cool effect? I mean you could take the same photo's with a digital camera and use PP to make it look like film - would that sell?

TBH there is a certain "je ne sais quoi" about film photography as opposed to digital that sets is apart and it probably is a mixture of those factors you mentioned but there seems to be a huge bias towards it here with people gushing over the fact that the picture was taken with a film camera rather than actually being a a good picture - I'm not having a go at anyone here just making a broad observation.

I know you are talking about how the customers react and not fellow photographers but personally I have respect for everyone that picks up a camera and tries to show me something interesting, from a perspective I haven't thought of or seen before, or purely someone that captures a nice picture. For me it has nothing to do with what model/type of camera they are holding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Not in any way wanting to turn this into an arguement, and not pointing fingers at anyone here (I swear!) but you could also see it the other way sprinkles - when you mention that you shoot film (I shoot both BTW) you could easily get the impression here sometimes that you're automatically branded a photography snob.

I'm not talking about you Sprinkles! It's something I've noticed is all. I'm loving film at the moment, but it's as much about dabbling and darkroom fun (fnar) as it is about the image. And I still very very very much love my 5D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

i kinda agree with what Sinead is saying... in that i was taught how to shoot on film and despite shooting mostly digital these days, predominately for convenience sake, there is a much better feeling/pride or sense of accomplishment when you have shot the image on film and printed it yourself after a while in the darkroom... it is personal im sure but i really do get a better feeling with an image that i have had to get smelly when creating.... all darkroom enthusiasts will recognize the smelly reference... i hope :o

i kinda agree with what Sinead is saying... in that i was taught how to shoot on film and despite shooting mostly digital these days, predominately for convenience sake, there is a much better feeling/pride or sense of accomplishment when you have shot the image on film and printed it yourself after a while in the darkroom... it is personal im sure but i really do get a better feeling with an image that i have had to get smelly when creating.... all darkroom enthusiasts will recognize the smelly reference... i hope :o

While I do know the enjoyment you get from it Positive I got to find it a bit of a schlep in the end. Perhaps that was because of the conditions I was doing it under at the time a few years back. The joy of it does seem to be lost on me now.
    I love the way the digital process has combined with film. Cheap dev, no need for prints now as it can all go on a cd and you can correct/inhance in Picasa or PS while sipping a cuppa in front of the telly. I'm no film purist, never was. But I do understand what people get from it. A bit like skateboarding: I love it but don't want to do it anymore.

I like using film as I enjoy starting with that particular medium on the pallet. The choice between taking a picture with digital or film is bit like starting a drawing with crayons or markers, charcoal or pencil. It's whatever you're comfortable with as once you're comfortable you're in a better starting position to take a pic.

Have to agree about the darkroom - I will never miss it. Especially the colour process. And the smell. And the dermatitis cause no-one ever told me I needed gloves and it was the 90s - we were all bullet-proof back then.

I've shot and developed a few hundred rolls of film, mostly B&W but a lot of colour too and can't say it did anything for me other than having the pictures themselves at the end of it all.

I enjoy far more having the LCD screen to see what I've shot and reshoot if necessary and then coming home, plugging in the camera and watching all the lovely shots pop up on the TV. I've no patience for waiting to get CD's back from developers.

P.S. I'll just add that I won't say one medium is better than the other - the arguments on either side are ridiculous.

Funny what we all like as my favourite part of the film process is the waiting. I just love knowing that there's a shot I really care about on a roll. I'm able to explore the image in my mind for a week or two before I get them developed. I usually get 5 rolls developed each time so the pic I'm excited about is more often than not on the first roll. Maybe it's my engineering background that it appeals to: being able to visualise the image in the mind in detail and move it around and know how (after a bit of tweeking in PP) you want the image to perform. Love the waiting more than anything...more often than not it's better than the results of what I've been waiting on!:pac:.
    I think I've become addicted to disappointment in the same way that a gambler is as much addicted to losing as he is winning.

My main moan about dig isn't the image but what it teaches people starting out. One arguement I get a lot is: "with dig you can take a load of shots and select the best one". Well my thinking is...if you're selecting the best one then aren't you in the same line selecting the least worst? Film makes you more careful about engaging and composing your subject. I'm a one shot snapper. I usually only take one shot of something and if I miss it then it wasn't to be...grand. I do notice that photographers (on here) with a healthy grounding in film but now using dig. do take far superior pics to those that only (or predominantly) started with dig.

Also, and going back to the ol' waiting game, I don't think the preview screen on digital is very healthy or constructive. I always see dig. photographers look almost immediately at the screen after a taking a shot. This is including proffessioanls too as only the other week I was doing a shoot with a photographer called Jens Boldt and was really surprised that he too did this. I was doing an interview during it I pointed this out as being perhaps not a healthy thing. While talking about it it brought out my reasoning, a reasoning I hadn't fully formed (I just knew I didn't like it). Confidence. It shows a lack of confidence in ones ability. It is addictive as I have used other peoples dig and the temptation is overwhelming. Addictions are weaknesses (I know, I have enough of them) and weakness isn't a sign of confidence.

Now when I'm doing adult photography on dig I close the screen off and snap away. The results (and I understand well that I'm the professor and the guinnea pig in this experiment) of the difference from when I succumbed to the lure of the preview screen and when I close down the preview screen is huge. Far better results from just doing the shoot, one shot- no peeking at screen. Concentrate solely on what you're doing and never mind the results. The results well be there afterwards anyway and the results will be good. Why? Because I'm confident and don't need to be immediately looking at the results. This method for doing nudes also has the added bonus of relaxing the model as by not looking at preview screen you can keep the model engaged and secure in you're own confidence. I myself felt uneasy when Jens was looking back on his screen after every couple of shots (3 memory cards of shots btw...ffs) so do know the awkwardness it brings to the model as I've been on the other side of the camera a few times.

Just my own thoughts on dig/film.

• Advertisement

I totally agree about the screen. I have the auto-preview switched off and I'll only look at it when I'm finished shooting a subject - I'll flick through the set I've just taken and if something is obviously wrong I'll re-shoot if I can, otherwise I'll move on. It's more about learning the camera to be honest though - if I was completely confident with my current digital camera as I used to be with my old film camera then I probably wouldn't need the screen at all.

I do feel the same way about the waiting - I can't wait to get home and plug in the camera when I think I have some nice shots. I just don't have the patience to wait a week for it.

A week for b+w is a long wait, mind you I mostly do colour so it's only a couple of hours from dropping in. Which is handy enough...and then you've got 180 or so images to get through...happiness* is a new disc:).

*(happiness/disappointment)

Advertisement